Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Procedure for changing to different year OS

Default Procedure for changing to different year OS

I have a 2000 Silverado and would like to update it to a 2002 OS. It is a 5.3/4L60E 2wd. What files do I need and what is the correct procedure for doing this?

Firstly, and most importantly you will need to have access to either the Commercial or Workshop version in order to perform a full-flash (operating system upgrade).

Then you need to decide if your are going to use an EFILive Custom Operating. There is also a forum thread at that location which describes the required steps to use the Custom OS's. You will also need the stock GM operating system that matches the Custom OS you choose.

Otherwise you would just need to to get a tune from the appropriate vehicle (i.e. 2002 Silverado), and upload it.

I have a few tune files that you may be able to use either way on my Tune Repository.

Then you start tuning...

Hope that helps some.

Regards,
    Andrew

I do have the Commercial version already.

If I don't use a custom OS, all I have to do is a full flash with a 2002 .tun file?

What about the VIN? Do I just change the VIN in the 2002 .tun file to match my VIN?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by dropped2000

If I don't use a custom OS, all I have to do is a full flash with a 2002 .tun file?

What about the VIN? Do I just change the VIN in the 2002 .tun file to match my VIN?
    Yup that is what i did for mine. Mkae sure you have the latest version of the software as it was added in 7.2.3 release 2
    EFILive - The Single version of the Truth

Larry - HumpinSS

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

EFILive's full reflash procedure is "intelligent", unlike other packages on the market which destroy vehicle specific data. It will retain your VIN and other important data such as crank angle sensor error data.

Regards
    Paul

Dropped 2000,
    I first did a full flash of my 2000 OS to a Stock 2001 OS for a like vehicle from Rick's tune repository. Then a couple of weeks ago, I did another full flash to a custom OS and added my .tun file back in (via a regular calibration flash) and both times, it went without a hitch although I was nervous the first time.

One warning that has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum is that you should use a bench harness to do the full flash rather than your vehicle's ALDL connector. This isolates the PCM from other outside influences (data bus traffic) that could interrupt the full flash.

All my best,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky

EFILive's full reflash procedure is "intelligent", unlike other packages on the market which destroy vehicle specific data. It will retain your VIN and other important data such as crank angle sensor error data.

Regards
    Paul
    After you have loaded the CO's and tune file then (read the calibration from the PCM) by sucking up the PCM cal, the vehicle info will appear as paul has stated. You will then also be able to access the Custom Calibration window.

Cheers, Scotty.
    It's a lot easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
    Dropped 2000,
    One warning that has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum is that you should use a bench harness to do the full flash rather than your vehicle's ALDL connector. This isolates the PCM from other outside influences (data bus traffic) that could interrupt the full flash.
    There is also an adapter for that, and I can't think of the name now.

On the passenger side, under the dash, there is the BCM module. To the left of the BCM are two connectors. In each, there is just a combe that connects all wires. You unplug those, and put in the adapter. Now you have a direct connection between the OBD-II port and the PCM.

Much less work than getting at the PCM itself. I am sure someone knwos the name of the adapter.

Till

There is also an adapter for that, and I can't think of the name now.

On the passenger side, under the dash, there is the BCM module. To the left of the BCM are two connectors. In each, there is just a combe that connects all wires. You unplug those, and put in the adapter. Now you have a direct connection between the OBD-II port and the PCM.

Much less work than getting at the PCM itself. I am sure someone knwos the name of the adapter.
    Does anyone know the name or better part# for this adapter?

Please (Paul or anyone else who has done the process) correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the .TUN file was only the calibration portion of the PCM and not the operating system+calibrations. Hence, to upgrade to a newer OS I thought I would have to flash in a .BIN file (raw OS with the base GM calibration) and then download a new 'stock' TUN from the PCM once the BIN was flashed in, modify the 'new' TUN to have the same calibration settings from my 'old' TUN file (from the older OS) and then reflash the 'new' TUN back.

Is this not correct? From what it sounds like here, I can just grab any .TUN I want in any state of modification, flash it in with the full flash option, and it upgrades my PCM to whatever year that TUN is from and it brings with it whatever modifications are in the aforementioned TUN file.
    Whitney Roberts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast