Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Procedure for changing to different year OS

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

The *.tun files contain the entire 512K or 1Mb of PCm flash memory (i.e. calibrations AND operating systems) as well as a bunch of meta data, comments, history etc.

If you opt to do a calibration only relfash, then EFILive just picks out the 96Kb of calibration data from the *.tun file and flashes that into the PCM.

If you opt to do a full reflash, EFILive reflashes the entire 512K or 1Mb of calibrations AND operating system into the PCM.

The "special" case is the EFILive custom operating system base *.tun files. These *.tun files have deliberately had "labotomies". We zeroed out the entire 96Kb of calibration data and forced the calibration checksums to be invalid. That means after you have full-flashed one of EFILive's custom operating systems, the PCM will enter dead poll waiting for a valid calibration.

Then you need to perform a calibration only reflash from one of your own *.tun files that matches the new operating system. i.e. a *.tun file from the GM operating system from which the EFILive custom operating system was derived.

Ross has just finished writing a tutorial on how to upgrade to a new EFILive OS. It contains a list of all the GM<->EFILive operating system combinations. It should be available tomorrow.

Regards
    Paul

Thanks for clearing that up Paul - I really do appreciate it. Not sure where my previous train of thought was from, but I was obviously wrong.

It's good to know the facts. Thanks!
    Whitney Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    The *.tun files contain the entire 512K or 1Mb of PCm flash memory (i.e. calibrations AND operating systems) as well as a bunch of meta data, comments, history etc.

If you opt to do a calibration only relfash, then EFILive just picks out the 96Kb of calibration data from the *.tun file and flashes that into the PCM.

If you opt to do a full reflash, EFILive reflashes the entire 512K or 1Mb of calibrations AND operating system into the PCM.

The "special" case is the EFILive custom operating system base *.tun files. These *.tun files have deliberately had "labotomies". We zeroed out the entire 96Kb of calibration data and forced the calibration checksums to be invalid. That means after you have full-flashed one of EFILive's custom operating systems, the PCM will enter dead poll waiting for a valid calibration.

Then you need to perform a calibration only reflash from one of your own *.tun files that matches the new operating system. i.e. a *.tun file from the GM operating system from which the EFILive custom operating system was derived.

Ross has just finished writing a tutorial on how to upgrade to a new EFILive OS. It contains a list of all the GM<->EFILive operating system combinations. It should be available tomorrow.

Regards
    Paul
    Is the tutorial available yet? If so, where is it located?
    99 FRC 402 Twin Turbo

Check out this thread.

I believe there will be a guide done for when the version 2 custom OS's get release, but this should cover you off for the time being.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Quote Originally Posted by marcink
    There is also an adapter for that, and I can't think of the name now.

On the passenger side, under the dash, there is the BCM module. To the left of the BCM are two connectors. In each, there is just a combe that connects all wires. You unplug those, and put in the adapter. Now you have a direct connection between the OBD-II port and the PCM.

Much less work than getting at the PCM itself. I am sure someone knwos the name of the adapter.
    Does anyone know the name or better part# for this adapter?
    Serial Data Link Tester, J 42236-A.

http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2005

Ok, I'm glad this thread came back 'up'. I have EFILive Commercial, and was all set to update my 99 OS to a 02 OS. I was doing great, copying the various tables from my 99 calibration over to the 02 calibration. When I got to copying the Spark tables, I got stumped on some of the differences. For example, the stock 02' calibration has some pretty significant values for the Fuel Mixture Spark Correction table, where my 99' calibration has all 0's. Optimal Timing was another area that stumped me. There were other areas that stumped me, but that's enough for now. I'm looking for someone that has done this. Better yet, a 01 or 02 BIN file with compatible stock 99/00 MN6 calibrations would be great :lol: . I have a few mods coming up (LT headers, intake manifold, and possibly a CAM), and I'd like to get ready for them as much as possible.

I thought this was a great idea at first, but really the only benefit I can see is losing the Backup VE table, and being 'ready' for a custom OS if I ever decide to go that route.

Feel free to PM or email me.

Oh, and this is all on my 99 C5 MN6 coupe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12