Thread: 3800 series II

Default 3800 series II

Is EFILive planning support at anytime for these ECM's? Anytime before the end of the year? Just curious because my buddy is swapping a 1999 series II 3.8 into his 1989 toyota pickup rock crawler/offroader, and it would be nice to disable VATS and some codes that might pop up from not being used in the original vehicle it came in (99 bonneville). The PCM itself looks identical to any Gen III LS1-style V8 PCM...does that mean its going to be fairly easy to impliment support for it?

also another question...if he gets it swapped in before EFILive has support for it...we have the VATS module from the bonneville and can just wire a resistor in...but it was from an automatic trans car (obviously)...he has a manual trans. Other than setting a million DTC's is there anything else that would keep it from running right? Would a PCM from a 1999-? 3.8 liter Camaro manual trans work??? I have a Tech 2 and TIS2WEB, could I just reflash the PCM to a manual trans Camaro OS that way as a "temporary" fix?

thanks guys

ben
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Lifetime Member

I really wish EFI-Live did. I have two 3.8Ls that could use tuning and a S/C just sitting in the garage that I haven't done anything with.

Best of luck!

Is there any chance of support for it before the years end?
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

I had contacted them earlier in the year to ask if they intended to support it. I got an email back saying they planned to have something by the end of the year for them.

Also, I have a 99 GTP, I see these motors get put in Fieros and cavailers. As well once a 55 chevy. I dont belive my car has vats on it, maybe the bonnie does? But there are ways around if it has it, as its often swapped.

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX
    Is there any chance of support for it before the years end?
    Not before the years end Ben. All the code for reading and programming the 3800 PCM's from the late 90's to the latest P05 controllers is all done, well, it was done a long time ago, but, the mapping part of these is a nightmare and was put on hold.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dale
    I had contacted them earlier in the year to ask if they intended to support it. I got an email back saying they planned to have something by the end of the year for them.

Also, I have a 99 GTP, I see these motors get put in Fieros and cavailers. As well once a 55 chevy. I dont belive my car has vats on it, maybe the bonnie does? But there are ways around if it has it, as its often swapped.
    Yea. If you are talking about late model Cavys they usually put 3.4Ls in them. I have seen some 2000 plus Cavy with 3.8Ls in them. See more Gen 2's with 3.8Ls I think. Cool idea but not enough people do it.

Saw one guy with a 3.8L sc in his Cavy and he bent the rad support. hehe

I was talking the mid 90's cavys. Ive seen 1 done, and 1 WIP with 3.8's. I belive I read that they had to mod the "frame" rails, and I think a notch in the strut tower or something? It was alot of work, but can be done.

I think its basically a direct drop for the fieros?
    11 Silverado
    08 Sierra
    91 RS with 350 TPI and 411 ECM

Lifetime Member

Do you have a 3800 M90 on hand or is it something you are bent on doing? Alot of people do the 3800 swap. Can't comment on how easy it would be know it is possible.

With the 3800 IRON block and heavy M90 you might as well look into the V8 Archie kits for the LSX motors. If money isn't a concern his website has all the parts you need to bolt on and go -- why not? Slim harmonic balancer. Special engine mounts, AC mounts, ect ect. Would be less fabrication but more cash. Plus you have your tuning options wide open with EFI-Live.