Thread: P10 high speed read/flash issue

Lifetime Member

Default P10 high speed read/flash issue

I have this issue with certain P10 PCMs serial numbers not being properly recognized. There is a way around it, uncheck the high speed mode when reading or flashing (affects both operations). Ive attached screen shots that show my V2 is licensed to tune the controller and where the s/n is correct with high speed unchecked and where the s/n is wrong with it checked. Read is the same way.

I verified this with 2 seperate PCMs yesterday, not sure if its related to a later build as I havent done much tuning lately and have upgraded a few times without flashing in between.

As you can see in the flash setup, the OS, filename, and VIN all match. What I just noticed is that the calibration DOES NOT match 12576872 (file) vs 12584593 (PCM info window) but then it is correct again.

Dont know whats up but if its affecting me its probably messing with other people too. If you need .blx files I will get them. One of the TBs does have aftermarket radios but my personal one does not, I checked both operations to verify on my stock TB.

Hope this helps with tracking down the problem!

EDIT: Running 7.5.6 (latest build) and 2.06.15 fw.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Serial Mismatch 1.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	323.0 KB 
ID:	6219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Serial Mismatch 2.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	314.6 KB 
ID:	6220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Serial Mismatch 3.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	361.4 KB 
ID:	6221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Serial Mismatch 4.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	339.2 KB 
ID:	6222  
    Last edited by ScarabEpic22; September 15th, 2009 at 09:20 PM.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

Part 2, can only upload 5 files.

Here is the read part of the problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Read problem.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	232.5 KB 
ID:	6223   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Read problem 2.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	6224  
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    If you need .blx files I will get them.
    Hi Erik,
    I definitely need them. In the latest release, I have added a bunch of diagnostics in an attempt to catch this problem "in the act" - as I can't reproduce it here. So please send the blx files to me at paul@efilive.com.
    Thanks
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Lifetime Member

Sending them now, included all the .blx files from my attempts as Im not sure which ones are the problematic ones.
    ~Erik~

Looking through those files I can see lot of other message failures when you're in high speed mode, not just the serial number. Because EFILive keeps retrying failed operations, eventually the messages are getting through, although EFILive will give up if too many errors occur.

Are you able to try programming the PCM on a bench harness? It is possibly some other module on the bus causing havoc by not playing nice in high speed mode.

Regards
    Paul

Lifetime Member

The first few files will probably have comm interrupts because of the aftermarket headunit in the customers car. Weird thing is it works the exact same way (as in no fuse pulling etc) with the high speed box unchecked... Next time I see him Ill pull the radio fuse and see what happens. Last time we tried that it wouldnt flash period.

What threw me for a loop was that my I6 (no aftermarket electronics to interfere) wouldnt do the high speed read. It will however do a high speed write all day long with no problems.

Unfortunately I dont have a bench harness, heck Ive only heard of a few being made for the P10!

Ill update this thread after I meet up again with my customer and try a few other things and report back. But Im still wondering about the read, there shouldnt be any interruption at all on that one. Heck Ive even ripped Onstar out.
    ~Erik~

The highspeed issue can be caused because when FlashScan "asks" all modules to go to high speed mode they must all go to high speed mode or high speed mode will fail. If just one module transmits a single low speed message while other modules are in high speed mode it will cause a bus reset and the frame will be discarded. EFILive will retry but once the bus has been reset it has already dropped back to lowspeed. EFILive tries to switch to highspeed again but with one or more rougue modules trying to re-establish comms with the ECM it can be difficult.

I am not sure why a read would work but a write would not. The only difference between the two is that the read uses much larger blocks than the write. That means it is harder for another module to interrupt because there are less breaks in the transmission.

Some modules may not even be capable of switching to high speed mode and its those modules that you would need to identify and disable first.

Regards
    Paul

Lifetime Member

OK that makes more sense. Still on this read issue, whats weird is Ive read out my tune in high speed many times just yesterday it didnt work...no new electronics since the last time I tried it. Thats really what confused me, the customers car Im not surprised as his stereo's got a lot of aftermarket boxes to control chimes etc.
    ~Erik~