Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tuning Info

Quote Originally Posted by stigmundfreud View Post
    If investing in EFILive it surely makes no sense to scrimp on a bit of time. A few hours of consistent logging conditions should get the VE pretty much dialed in, especially on an LS1.
    We spend lots of time turning physical wrenches/spanners on our cars... we take our time (because we like to see how the guts of it works...)...

So why should we not take our time when we turn virtual wrenches/spanners...?

Joe, now running LS3, such a fantastic bit of kit
    I bet it's fun to drive...

Lifetime Member

LS3 must be a hoot, every time I get out of my LS2 inside a truck I have a fat grin on my face. Ive tricked a few of my buddies into thinking the SS is my old TrailBlazer, then I step on the gas and they sit there with a "Holy Sh|t" look on their face, priceless.

Cant wait til I can afford to really put some $$ into my truck for speed...should be fun.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

oh the ls3 is something else, really it is. And yes like you I love getting folks in the car and bimbling along in 3rd doing 30 then just hammer it - the sounds people make

I know this is an older thread but I was reading through some info that linked here. How is it that no one mentioned or discussed that the top 2 charts on the first page contradict each other? Very top chart says 14.0:1 is best mileage (seems unlikely although closer to mean or rich best torque) and the second chart down shows 15.4:1 as best fuel economy. Are either of these correct and if 15.4 is, then is this the target for lean cruise or does it get taken further (17:1?)

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by FirstGenThree View Post
    I know this is an older thread but I was reading through some info that linked here. How is it that no one mentioned or discussed that the top 2 charts on the first page contradict each other? Very top chart says 14.0:1 is best mileage (seems unlikely although closer to mean or rich best torque) and the second chart down shows 15.4:1 as best fuel economy. Are either of these correct and if 15.4 is, then is this the target for lean cruise or does it get taken further (17:1?)
    Good question, I noticed that too. The idea of lean cruise is to save fuel by obviously using a lean the mixture not a rich one, so I wonder why the first chart says richer will give best mileage. Maybe richer will give you more power for the same amount of fuel, and thus less fuel required to maintain speed.
    2001 Silverado 5.3L ECSB 2WD T56:
    T76 turbo, Meth injection, 72# injectors, 799 heads, 212/212 114LSA cam, Built 4L80E, 3.42's
    EFILive V1 Commercial, COS5 2-bar SOLSD, AEM wideband

Yes the 14:1 would make better torque = more efficient engine = potential for better mileage. But I thought part of the logic behind lean cruise was not only to consume less fuel but to make less power causing the need for greater throttle position which helps your dynamic compression come closer to your static compression ratio. Throttle defined: to F$%& up an engine.

very useful info .
    it means that if i need more power , must spend more money

but if i want to have the power only in acceleration , what i can do ?

thanks a lot .

Quote Originally Posted by sam_pon View Post
    very useful info .
    it means that if i need more power , must spend more money

but if i want to have the power only in acceleration , what i can do ?

thanks a lot .
    With a gasoline engine, to make more power in acceleration you must maximize for torque throughout the operating range...

once torque is maximized then fuel economy is maximized also (engine is now operating at peak efficiency)...

it may take money... but for given hardware (existing or purchased) you will require tuning.

What vehicle do you have...?

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    With a gasoline engine, to make more power in acceleration you must maximize for torque throughout the operating range...

once torque is maximized then fuel economy is maximized also (engine is now operating at peak efficiency)...

it may take money... but for given hardware (existing or purchased) you will require tuning.

What vehicle do you have...?
    thanks my dear for your nice reply ,

my car is GMC Envoy 2003 , and my only problem in acceleration , when i try to push the gas pedal for accelerate the car , it accelerate very slowly , and some times without any reason i find it very smoothly , and that always happen when the gas tank almost empty or near quarter full ,

i think there is some problem at gas pump , because when the tank full , the acceleration is very bad , or what you think ?
    because i noticed that when the a/c working the acceleration is bad also .
    so, i don`t know what is the problem ? is it need a new software for the PCM , and that is very costly here in my country (( Qatar )) .

thanks again for your interest , and have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by sam_pon View Post
    thanks my dear for your nice reply ,

my car is GMC Envoy 2003 , and my only problem in acceleration , when i try to push the gas pedal for accelerate the car , it accelerate very slowly , and some times without any reason i find it very smoothly , and that always happen when the gas tank almost empty or near quarter full ,

i think there is some problem at gas pump , because when the tank full , the acceleration is very bad , or what you think ?
    because i noticed that when the a/c working the acceleration is bad also .
    so, i don`t know what is the problem ? is it need a new software for the PCM , and that is very costly here in my country (( Qatar )) .

thanks again for your interest , and have a nice day
    I think you may have a problem with the EVAP system (it may have an air leak), it needs to be diagnosed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast