Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tuning Info

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by odd boy View Post
    Gents,

I tried toluene as an octane booster. It improved the performance and made the car run faster, even when it is hot!!!!!!!!!!
    Can you give me a mixxing formula ? I would like to put some in my Nova since its a race car.
    2000 NBM trans am.
    427 Dart ship block,Lme ported Ls7 heads 12.5 compression
    246/262 .730/.712 112+4 low lash solid roller
    Rmvb 4l80 with transbrake, 8" FTI converter
    12 bolt Moser rear end with 4.10 gears

Lifetime Member

30% octane booster and 70% gas.

Toluene is 114 octane. So use this formula to figure what octane you get:

( Gallons of gas * Octane of gas ) + ( Gallons of octane booster *Octane of booster )
    __________________________________________________ _ = new octane
    Total Gallons
    Last edited by odd boy; January 22nd, 2010 at 03:31 AM.
    Regards,

Odd Boy

how can I fix the car on 12.6 in full throutal?

Quote Originally Posted by The New Pro View Post
    how can I fix the car on 12.6 in full throutal?
    Ok, using the LS1 tables to illustrate...

poor method: you could repeatedly measure with a wideband and adjust the PE table B3618 until you see the WOT AFR you want.

good method: calculate the IFR table and correct the VE and/or MAF tables using a wideband... this then causes the measured AFR to equal the commanded AFR for a greater range of operating points (not just WOT)... and then you set set the PE table B3618 and/or the OL AFR table B3605 for the WOT AFR you want (the AFR selected by the PCM is the richest of all enabled tables at that moment).

In the tunetool, if you type the table id (e.g. B3605) in uppercase into the search box and press Search, you will be taken to that table...

BTW: don't forget to read the scantool and tunetool user manual pdf's... they have lots of useful info on how to operate the tools.
    Last edited by joecar; April 27th, 2011 at 08:36 AM.

Lifetime Member

Joe quick question on IFR, surely the stock ratings should be fairly spot on? Was my (mis)understanding you adjusted IFR if you changed the injectors/fuel system? I know that some tuners just tune on IFR when on a rolling road as one way of acheiving the desired AFR

Lifetime Member

If you are running stock injectors leave IFR alone, IFR/PE raping is a quick way of getting desired AFRs under most conditions but its not tuned properly.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

It works better if the IFR table matches the injectors, and you make adjustments elsewhere (MAF and/or VE tables, or in PE table, or in OL table)...

if he doesn't have time to correct the VE and/or MAF, then using a wideband he take a WOT log and adjust the PE table until he gets measured AFR 12.6, even tho his commanded AFR may be different.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    It works better if the IFR table matches the injectors, and you make adjustments elsewhere (MAF and/or VE tables, or in PE table, or in OL table)...

if he doesn't have time to correct the VE and/or MAF, then using a wideband he take a WOT log and adjust the PE table until he gets measured AFR 12.6, even tho his commanded AFR may be different.
    This is what I was trying to say and didnt quite get it across, yes you get the AFR you want even if commanded is leaner/richer. Problem will arise when you get back into CL, LTFTs will be bouncing around trying to command stoich if the VE/MAF tables arent properly setup.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Mike, exactly what Erik said.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Mike, exactly what Erik said.
    what I thought, stock injectors = keep things on the IFR as stock. What is shocking/scary is one of the "most experienced" tuners here tunes stock setups with IFR rates/PE which cannot be good in the long run surely?

If investing in EFILive it surely makes no sense to scrimp on a bit of time. A few hours of consistent logging conditions should get the VE pretty much dialed in, especially on an LS1.

Joe, now running LS3, such a fantastic bit of kit

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast