Thread: Custom/DIY calibration definition file?

Question Custom/DIY calibration definition file?

Does anyone know if there is any way to edit a .cal file or create one from scratch?
    I know the memory addresses i want to be able edit trough the UI but i don't know how to define them.
    I have come up with a workaround to change the data but its a real pain since i efilive wont save/export in .bin format.
    2001 K2500HD Duramax/Allison

Perhaps it would be better if you described what it is you are wanting to accomplish (the end result rather than the approach you want to take.)
    2004 Pontiac GTO - Quicksilver/red/m6
    1-of-344

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gto_in_nc
    Perhaps it would be better if you described what it is you are wanting to accomplish (the end result rather than the approach you want to take.)
    There are other parameters in my OS that efilive’s current calibration definition doesn’t allow access to that I want access to. Ross and Paul are way to busy working on real problems (like black box logging on the V2) for me to be bugging them with stupid little additions to a calibration definitions for an OS that already has tons of options in its calibration definition file. It would be just be really nice to be able to create my on calibration definitions. The ones that I want that I am currently working on are PTO parameters and the cruise control closed loop parameters. I have found the location in flash where the PTO stuff is by changing the parameter with a buddies tech2 then pull the flash chip, dump it to a bin file and compare it to the original .bin file. Also I am working finding the cruise control parameters trough disassembling the OS in which I am having little success due to the fact I don’t have a complete I/O map of the ECM. I may have to build a bench harness and a BDM to figure out all the cruise stuff.
    Last edited by jimter; October 4th, 2007 at 02:34 PM.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Yes, you can add your own calibrations, if you know the memory address, the table size, data type, scaling etc.

EFILive supports a *.cax file (calibration extension) that is a plain text file in which you can define extra calibrations.

I'll try and dig up the format for you - its been a while since I've had to use it.
    Send me an email (paul@efilive.com) and an example calibration (and let me know which OS it is for). I'll send you back a sample *.cax file. You can then add to it whenever you want/need.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Lifetime Member

I think V8 has the ability to make .cal files, I cant wait either as there will be a ton of guys working on the P10s then. Maybe if I get some time I can look at making a COS for it (if I dont have a LS2 by then...).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22
    I think V8 has the ability to make .cal files, I cant wait either as there will be a ton of guys working on the P10s then. Maybe if I get some time I can look at making a COS for it (if I dont have a LS2 by then...).
    Yeah I'me REALLY! excited about V8 but i think it's a ways off.