Thread: my scan tool keeps removing my vin number

Default my scan tool keeps removing my vin number

For some reason my tune tool keeps the vin and other info. I add the same vin to my scan tool, I shut off my scan tool and turn it back on to see if it is still there and it is.

Now as soon as I connect to the car my vin numbers only in my scan tool all turn back to 000000000000. Then of course I get the error telling me my scan tool vin mismatch to my tune tool vin because one is right and the other is 000000000000000000.

Ive also got the latest up to date software so its not that. This is messing me up so bad I cant even tune my car because the pids are always a mess because of this.

Any ideas anyone?

Can you perform a read of the PCM and confirm that the VIN etc is actually as you expect it to be?

I had a situation a while ago where I had accidentally changed my VIN. It appeared correct in my tune files because I was only ever performing calibration flashes.

When I connected the Scan Tool it would do a similar thing to you get, but just a single character incorrect (not all 0's).

Hopefully you'll find that this identifies the problem. There are no known issues with this sort of thing currently.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Default Funny thing I read the pcm this morning

Hello and thanks for your reply.

I just so happened to have checked that this morning and to my surprise my download from the pcm showed all 00000000.

What is more strange is every one of my tune files has the vin in it before I upload each one.

Does that mean to update the vin in the ecu only updates on full OS and calibration install?

The 00000000 in my ecu vin info isnt that used to license my cable or something to that idea?

Thanks

Louis

Phew, I was hoping that this would be the case

The easiest way to change the VIN is through the Scan Tool, from the 'Bi-Directional Control' menu.

The PCM Serial Number is the data used to license the controller to the FlashScan interface. So the VIN being incorrect has no effect in this regard.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Default Adding new vin thru bidirectional worked great

It finally looks like it is now allowing me to use my gm pids. Thank you very much. I read just about every issue here but nowhere was it broufgt up to chk ecu. I was shocked when I saw the 0000000.

Thank you Thank you

Louis

Sorry I missed the thread originally. If you have issues in future like this probably best to email support (support at efilive dot com)
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Default Strange numbers in knock table

I made a table for knock with my GM knock pid and it only shows all 0.00. I used the maps supplied in the software for table 5913 and 5914 and get numbers that look like they are the amout of grams it would like to see in the table in the advanced table? In the retarded table they are all 0.00

I was expecting numbers like 1.0, 3.5 for knock and to subtract those values from the tables but when almost all in log are 33.0 29.0 27.2 it really looks like it is telling me this is the grams it is using not the amount of knock?

Thanks for any help

Louis