Thread: Knock Retard

Default Knock Retard

I did an AutoVE run today and got knock retard during the run. I know that having too much timing or being to lean. Should I start out by removing a little bit of timing first since the AFR was fine.
    Car: 2002 WS6 M6
    Mods: TFS 215 Heads, 92mm LSX Intake Ported, Comp Cam, Yella Terra RR, Power Bond pulley, Melling Performance Oil Pump, Comp Cam Lifters, LS2 Timing Chain, Harden Pushrods, Textraila Clutch, Quarter Mile Performance lid, SLP Mass Air Sensor, SLP Smooth Flow Bellow, NW 92mm Throttle Body, NGK Plugs, MSD Wires, SLP Tuned Length Headers w/ORY, Magnaflow Exhaust, Tuning in progress
    RWHP:450 RWTQ:426

How much Knock retard were you seeing?
    I didnt take much notice of any light KR until my VE table was dialled in fully, especially since the VE table is part of the airmass calculation for timing. I just filtered out any KR from my logs in case it gave a inaccurate wideband reading.

Lifetime Member

It depends how much KR and where, if it is not in areas that would normally be covered by PE and, if the AFR was fine then you will want to remove some timing since that is where you'll want to be with the final tune anyway.
    2000 Camaro SS Convertible
    M6,
    LTs, AFR 205s, Comp xer 220/224, LS6 intake, Ported TB, AR TT IIs

I will try to post up picks of my log shortly.
    Mods: TFS 215 Heads, 92mm LSX Intake Ported, Comp Cam, Yella Terra RR, Power Bond pulley, Melling Performance Oil Pump, Comp Cam Lifters, LS2 Timing Chain, Harden Pushrods, Textraila Clutch, Quarter Mile Performance lid, SLP Mass Air Sensor, SLP Smooth Flow Bellow, NW 92mm Throttle Body, NGK Plugs, MSD Wires, SLP Tuned Length Headers w/ORY, Magnaflow Exhaust, Tuning in progress

Update I have the posted my tune and scan files this tread http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=6380

Lifetime Member

Your AFR is not lean and you are below the 4000 rpm mark where the maf takes over so I would pull timing in those areas. Note that it is occurring at the transitions so you'll also want to look at your power enrichment once you get the VEs done.
    2000 Camaro SS Convertible
    M6,
    LTs, AFR 205s, Comp xer 220/224, LS6 intake, Ported TB, AR TT IIs