Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: V2 Black Box Logging

Quote Originally Posted by 2002_z28_six_speed
    I will wait for one of you guys other to try it.
    I will wait for a couple (or more) of you guys to try it

Thanks to Paul for giving everyone a chance to be a Beta tester on this. One bonus for EFILIVE is that any bugs will be found fairly quickly (though the solutions will have to wait)

Paul, are we still going to be able to purchase licenses while you guys are in the US, or do we have to stock up now??

Though stocking up now for us guys in Aus wouldn't be a bad thing because of current exchange rates at a 33 year high
    Dave.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Biggsy
    Paul, are we still going to be able to purchase licenses while you guys are in the US, or do we have to stock up now??
    We are very close to releasing an automated license purchase option. I'd like to see it available prior to SEMA (but it may not be). Regardless, we will have someone here who can still issue licenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggsy
    Though stocking up now for us guys in Aus wouldn't be a bad thing because of current exchange rates at a 33 year high
    Its good for our (non-US) customers - bad for us.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by kbracing96
    I know the difficulty in this is making the BB logging work with the 7.x software when it's was designed around the V8 stuff. Is this going to be the case with stand alone reading and flashing too? Or is it just going to be built and release with V8? Sorry if I come off sounding ungrateful for for BB loging, but I was just wondering....
    Stand alone reading and flashing will not require any additional "work" to make it compatible with the V7 software. Basically you will just need to copy the *.tun files to/from the SD card.

The software that copies files to/from the SD card is already written as part of the V8 software and will be released with the first BB logging release.

Or you can just use an SD card reader if your PC has one.

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by tunedbyGM
    What are you wasting the other 4 hours on ?
    Strip clubs of course...

Just to clear up any confusion here's a summary of the issue that has caused the majority of the delays in delivering BB logging:

FlashScan and AutoCal have been designed at the hardware level to operate as standalone units. As part of operating as standalone units they have been reprogrammed with the new V2.5 firmware. That firmware is completely different form the V2.4 firmware.

The 2.4 firmware operates purely as a passthorugh system. The PC sends a command that is formatted for the target vehicle and receives a reply formatted from the target vehicle. The PC has ALL the encoding and decoding smarts built into it.

The 2.5 firmware operates as a standalone system. The PC sends generic commands to the FlashScan unit (i.e. get me the VIN) and the FlashScan unit contains all the smarts and vehicle/controller definitions to be able to convert that request into the correctly formatted command for the currently connected target vehicle. That makes the PC software extremely simple and easy to manage. However, it moves all the complexity into the FlashScan unit.

That has a number of benefits:

1. It will be simple for third party software developers to interface applications with FlashScan for any supported vehicle.

2. The PC software is much easier to develop, install and configure and it will not need to be updated anywhere near as often.

3. The complicated and critical scanning and reflashing duties will be handled by a dedicated CPU (FlashScan's Infineon) and many points of failure have been eliminated:
    - Windows.
    - Incorrect EFILive Software configuration.
    - USB cables, drivers and configuration.
    - Laptop battery failure.
    - PC failure.

There was one drawback:

All these good features relied on the V8 PC software being ready earlier this year. It was not ready for reasons I won't go into here. So the decission was made to add the V7 passthrough comms into the FlashScan V2.5 firmware.

Now the V2.5 firmware has both V8 standalone and V7 passthrough capabilities. It took a while to implement it correctly but it was still faster than making everyone wait for the V8 software to be completed.

When the V8 software is ready (and the V7 software has been retired) the V7 passthrough comms will be removed. That probably won't be for 12 months after the V8 software is released.

Note: the V8 software still has passthrough data logging (different and more efficient than the V7 passthrough data logging) but not passthrough reading or flashing . The only difference you will notice is that the flashing and reading of PCMs will take about 10 seconds longer while the *.tun files are transferred to/from FlashScan. However the actual reading and programming time is faster becuase there is no need to send/receive USB data packets to/from the PC during reading/flashing.

Regards
    Paul

I'm kind of conservative, so I'll just wait for the dust to clear. The racing season here in Michigan is about done anyway. Hopefully I'll be using it for next season.
    1998 Trans Am, A4,3.73, SLP ported 98 heads,Lid, Free mods, LCA's, Panhard bar, adjustable torque arm, sfc's 3200 Vigilante converter, BFG DR's, tuned with EFILive.
    12.53@107.78 1.71 60'
    2002 GMC Envoy totatlly stock
    2003 Workhorse 8.1L

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    Stand alone reading and flashing will not require any additional "work" to make it compatible with the V7 software. Basically you will just need to copy the *.tun files to/from the SD card.

The software that copies files to/from the SD card is already written as part of the V8 software and will be released with the first BB logging release.

Or you can just use an SD card reader if your PC has one.

Regards
    Paul
    So am I understanding this correctly as the BB reading and flashing will function with the release of BB logging too? Or are you just saying that it won't take much more work to get it operational, in the near future.

Oh and thanks for the update
    01 ECSB 1/2 ton 4x4 Forged 5.7 LS1 GMC

Custom KBracing front mounted, BW S480, intercooled turbo

Hi Paul,

You said in the original post that:

"If power to the V2 is interrupted during the bootblock update process it will need to be returned to EFILive to be re-programmed. The bootblock update process only takes about 2 seconds so the window for failure is extremely small."

Since during the flash/write process the V2 gets it power from the USB interface, the safe route would be to leave the V2 still and alone while flashing correct? What situations have you encountered where the USB power is actually cut or altered during the boot block write and toasted a unit? Seems that if the laptop is on AC power, power saving features are off, and you are not handling the V2 or wiggling the cable during flash, you should be fine? Right?

Just curious. I am planning on trying it as soon as it is available thats why I ask.

Thanks again for all your hard work. We are all very excited for the V2's future.

2002 WS6, All-Lunati 383 Strok'r @11:1, Cartek Heads, Keith/Ross Racing Custom Cam, Victor Jr., 492whp 457wtq,
    Cartek Clutch, 9" Moser w/4.11's, 35 spline Detroit Locker, QA1's, NX, BMR, Tuned w/ EFILive V2 Black Box Logging
    Check Out My Latest Tune File: HERE

I'm sure Paul will reply but, as a general rule, this is the case for most firmware flashes; interruption at the wrong moment can be a bad thing. (If you've ever updated the BIOS on a computer, you've seen the warnings.) As you say, unless you do something stupid (like inadvertently jerk the cable out at exactly the wrong instant), you should be fine. There is need for caution here, though...
    2004 Pontiac GTO - Quicksilver/red/m6
    1-of-344

Lifetime Member

BIOS used to put their EEPROMS in sockets. Back then you could back up the data before the reflash. Don't think we have that option here...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast