Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: V2 Black Box Logging

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Biggsy
    I will wait for a couple (or more) of you guys to try it

Thanks to Paul for giving everyone a chance to be a Beta tester on this. One bonus for EFILIVE is that any bugs will be found fairly quickly (though the solutions will have to wait)

Paul, are we still going to be able to purchase licenses while you guys are in the US, or do we have to stock up now??

Though stocking up now for us guys in Aus wouldn't be a bad thing because of current exchange rates at a 33 year high
    I was just kidding. I am usually the first to try things. Like that damn TI MPS430. Curse that dreaded chip and TIs crappy way of storing examples on their homepage.

If I understood earlier posts correctly, this mainly applies to the boot code, which only takes a few seconds ... the regular flash update isn't as dangerous, as it relies on the boot code ...
    Garry Glendown * '17 Fifty 2SS MT * 99 Firehawk Convertible (for sale)

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kbracing96
    So am I understanding this correctly as the BB reading and flashing will function with the release of BB logging too? Or are you just saying that it won't take much more work to get it operational, in the near future.

Oh and thanks for the update
    "it won't take much more work to get it operational, in the near future."
    Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger911
    You said in the original post that:

"If power to the V2 is interrupted during the bootblock update process it will need to be returned to EFILive to be re-programmed. The bootblock update process only takes about 2 seconds so the window for failure is extremely small."
    It has never happened in testing and will probably never happen in the field (although I should never say never). I mentioned it only because it could happen if the USB plug is removed in those 2 seconds, or the power to the PC is cut. Anyway, it is extremely unlikely to fail.

The firmware reflash takes about 15 seconds but it won't cause any problems if it fails, because the bootblock remains intact and can be used to recover any failed firmware re-flash.

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Garry
    If I understood earlier posts correctly, this mainly applies to the boot code, which only takes a few seconds ... the regular flash update isn't as dangerous, as it relies on the boot code ...
    Exactly

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger911
    Hi Paul,

You said in the original post that:

"If power to the V2 is interrupted during the bootblock update process it will need to be returned to EFILive to be re-programmed. The bootblock update process only takes about 2 seconds so the window for failure is extremely small."

Since during the flash/write process the V2 gets it power from the USB interface, the safe route would be to leave the V2 still and alone while flashing correct? What situations have you encountered where the USB power is actually cut or altered during the boot block write and toasted a unit? Seems that if the laptop is on AC power, power saving features are off, and you are not handling the V2 or wiggling the cable during flash, you should be fine? Right?

Just curious. I am planning on trying it as soon as it is available thats why I ask.

Thanks again for all your hard work. We are all very excited for the V2's future.

As far as I know Vista is the only OS that does things like USB suspend. Does XP have it?

Quote Originally Posted by 2002_z28_six_speed
    As far as I know Vista is the only OS that does things like USB suspend. Does XP have it?
    I'm not sure if USB suspend you are referring to is the same as the PC going into sleep mode. But when XP (or Vista) goes into sleep mode it also signals the USB device that its power supply is going to be reduced. FlashScan is designed to accept that signal and also go into reduced power mode - i.e. the LCD screen is switched off so that FlashScan can continue to operate using only the reduced power from the PC.

Regardless, I don't think any Windows operating system will suspend the USB while an application is running and within 2-3 seconds of the user clicking the "start programming" button.

Regards
    Paul

what`s the word on that firmware update regarding
    the LC1 and the RS232 input?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.prick
    what`s the word on that firmware update regarding
    the LC1 and the RS232 input?
    The RS232 interface to LC1 and LM1 requires the new BB logging firmware. So once that firmware update is in place I will be adding in support for serial wide band.

Regards
    Paul

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast