Thread: Quick question about the BCM....

Default Quick question about the BCM....

I've been down for a while, but i'm startin to put the car back together to get back in the game. I'm in the process of cleaning up my wiring harness. I'm gettin rid of everything that is not necessary. I have no power options in the car, so the only thing the bcm has an effect on is the vats. Where in the efilive software do I turn vats off, and will that completely shut off the vats as to where I can take the bcm out and cut out all the wires for it, or is there more to it? Thanks for any help guys, I asked and searched on here and ls1tech and haven't seen conclusive info, seen mixed answers, some say you can take it out and turning it off in the pcm works, others say certain wires from the bcm need to be spliced together. So i'm hopin I can get a straight answer so I can figure out what to do with the bcm wires.
    - Devon

White '99 Z28

9.09 @ 150

you have mail
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Quote Originally Posted by ChipsByAl
    you have mail
    Thanks man, i'll take a look at that! Good thing I still have my old email, I just remembered I didn't update it on here yet, updated now though.
    - Devon

White '99 Z28

9.09 @ 150

I am interested/curious also, may I be copied, please and thanks.

Al, thanks, much appreciated (my GM eSI is all hosed up at the moment, I fails to open).

The BCM diagram shows that the BCM sends the Fuel Enable signal to the PCM via a dedicated wire, I wonder what this signal looks like...?

the bcm grounds the 5volt signal sent by the pcm. its a 5volt square wave of 0v to 5v. now im not sure how long it sends that signal

In the diagram it shows something about controlling the interior and exterior lights, will I lose the interior and exterior lights if I take it out? I'm not worried about the interior lights, but the exterior I need!
    - Devon

White '99 Z28

9.09 @ 150

The parking lights are still controlled by the headlamp switch. The BCM uses the output to the parking lights to flash them when you activate the remote transmitter to lock/unlock the doors or panic button. The BCM isn't really heavy, I hope that isn't the reason you are pitching it.
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Quote Originally Posted by ChipsByAl
    The parking lights are still controlled by the headlamp switch. The BCM uses the output to the parking lights to flash them when you activate the remote transmitter to lock/unlock the doors or panic button. The BCM isn't really heavy, I hope that isn't the reason you are pitching it.
    Al
    Gotcha, I just thought all it controlled was security/power stuff, which I have none of, so since it's not needed and I lost the spot to mount it when I gutted the dash, it's just been hangin from a zip tie under the dash, so I figured i'd get rid of it since i'm goin through gettin rid of all the wiring that's not needed to clean things up. I actually don't think I even need to worry about the starter relay signal, cuz I had the bcm out originally when I put my dash back in after the cage install, and I have my starter set up on a button and the car started but wouldn't stay on (didn't know where to shut it in the computer at the time), so I just threw the bcm back in and zip tied it up.
    - Devon

White '99 Z28

9.09 @ 150