Thread: Question on licensing?

Default Question on licensing?

I am looking at buying a license for a friend's V2 so I can tune my 99 K2500 454 Suburban with my laptop and 7.5.1. But I am eventually going to get EFILive for myself, and my own V2. But can't pull it off right now. I have a mail order tune from Jesse, but need to do some tweaking that would be a pain to send back and forth through the mail 2-3 times @ $9 each way for the trip.

And I am planning on a 0411 PCM swap for my Suburban as well. Can I use the same license if I create the tune with my Suburban's VIN?

Or is there a better way to work on this so I don't get screwed on licensing?

Thanks!

does he not have any left?

He thinks so, he only did his 01 Z28 with his V1, which he has now upgraded to a V2. But isn't sure what license(s) if any he got with the V2.

Lifetime Member

Well if he copied his V1 licenses over he should have at least 1 free from that (V1s come with 2 VINs). Also, V2 upgrades come with 2 more if I remember, but dont quote me on that.

I dont think you could salvage that license, Im pretty sure there is no way to send licenses between V2s. Also if you change PCMs you need a new license as I thought I heard Tordne mention the licenses are locked to controller IDs not the actual VIN. Again, please check me on this as Im not 100% positive.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

I don't want to agree that you're going to get 'screwed on licensing', but you are going to pay a premium for doing it in a phased approach.

The licenses are not transferable between FlashScan interface. So it you buy a license for your friends FlashScan V2 and use this on your PCM it will stay locked in that FlashScan cable. You you purchase your own FlashScan V2 package the PCM will need to be licensed to your cable also.

If you are planning a PCM swap perhaps this could be a good time to get your one setup. In this case there is essentially no lost license as the current PCM will be licensed in your friends cable, and the new PCM can go straight into yours.

Just to confirm also. Licenses are tied to the PCM serial number and NOT the VIN.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Lifetime Member

Thanks for clarifying that Tordne, more info to just tuck away for another day!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Ok, thanks! Not really what I wanted to hear, but what I suspected....