Thread: Edit/Addition to AutoVE Tutorial

Lifetime Member

Default Edit/Addition to AutoVE Tutorial

Since I am a rather new user to EFI Live I used the AutoVE Tutorial to start tunning. I ran into a couple problems using the tutorial. My truck is 04 GMC Sierra 4.8l auto, and I am the Stock OS, basically stock so I figured that tuning would be a breeze. Anyways I ran into some problems that I figured out with some searching.

I would like to add the following:
    1. Disable B4206 - Use O2 With Open Loop Command Fuel Table, turns off STFT, without truning this parameter off my STFT were still active.
    2. Disable B4108 -STFT idle trims, with this enabled my idle AFR was all over the place and the MAP regions when I was coasting at speed or coasting to a stop.
    3. Filter out high IAT temps in the logging section.

If anyone sees some error with my logic or reasoning please post up...

Here are a couple of threads that discussed these issues.
    http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=402821
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=6404

I would also like to see the B3647 map changed from 14.63 to 14.7 to prevent the problems people are having with semi open loop. There are quite a few on the forum lately.

So what you guys are saying is the inclusion of these few additions would greatly enhance the Tutorial for the new at AutoVEing process person , and would greatly increase the chance of success at AutoVEing ?
    Is TA_Quickness still around ?
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

I would like someone to comment on Disable B4108 -STFT idle trims

As per Blacky , Disabling the Idle STFT {B4108} just means the PCM will use the non idle STFT tables, that is probably better since you might be commanding 14.63 in non idle places you just want uniform STFT correction accross the board.
    STFT the way I understand it is they are used for the LTFT calculations and get reset every time you restart , LTFT are used to control fueling over long period of time and temp and altitude differences .
    Last edited by Chevy366; October 16th, 2007 at 07:01 AM.
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by tunedbyGM
    So what you guys are saying is the inclusion of these few additions would greatly enhance the Tutorial for the new at AutoVEing process person , and would greatly increase the chance of success at AutoVEing ?
    Is TA_Quickness still around ?
    The error with the B3647 table will prevent any newcomer from successfully applying the AutoVE process.I dont see it as an enhancement but as a necessity.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGMC
    Since I am a rather new user to EFI Live I used the AutoVE Tutorial to start tunning. I ran into a couple problems using the tutorial. My truck is 04 GMC Sierra 4.8l auto, and I am the Stock OS, basically stock so I figured that tuning would be a breeze. Anyways I ran into some problems that I figured out with some searching.

I would like to add the following:
    1. Disable B4206 - Use O2 With Open Loop Command Fuel Table, turns off STFT, without truning this parameter off my STFT were still active.
    2. Disable B4108 -STFT idle trims, with this enabled my idle AFR was all over the place and the MAP regions when I was coasting at speed or coasting to a stop.
    3. Filter out high IAT temps in the logging section.

If anyone sees some error with my logic or reasoning please post up...

Here are a couple of threads that discussed these issues.
    http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=402821
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=6404
    Actually, I wanted to say the same thing. Didn't want to offend anyone though.

The filters need to be stronger.

Ranges on IAT, ECT would be great.
    Somone stated not to log any frames with KR. Can't remember name. Sorry. :-&
    Voltage filter might be nice.
    Possibly set up a commanded AFR filter. With a modified vehicle if it going into piston protection mode or some other problem it could help. Just an idea.

I think it needs to be stated that you should tune while moving down the road at a certain range of speed. This would mean more constant IATs and ECTs.

I don't think anything is wrong with AutoVE. Yet, it would be easy to forget something if you haven't done the process enough. I don't think new tuners are stupid but maybe stating what factors cause considerable error and which don't could save people many hours!

I realise I am not a tuning authority. Hope something helped, though.

Lifetime Member

My tune does not have B3647.... Is that only in Custom OSes?

Quote Originally Posted by 2002_z28_six_speed
    I don't think new tuners are stupid
    I will admit I was/am pretty stupid when I first started.....

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGMC
    My tune does not have B3647.... Is that only in Custom OSes?

I will admit I was/am pretty stupid when I first started.....
    Yes {B3647} is COS3-5 only , and if you set it to 1.00EQ like in the tutorial it will cause a Semi-Open Loop mode with which the O2s are active and will cause eschewed numbers .
    Last edited by Chevy366; October 17th, 2007 at 06:27 AM.
    2006 Trailblazer