Thread: Help with updating os

Lifetime Member

Default Help with updating os

I saw on the gm tis website where there was updated os to my 2000 5.3 truck. I found a tune with the upgraded os in the tune repository.

Im confused about. Im pretty sure I have the commercial version too. Is it safe to do this. I couldnt find a turtorial on how to do this. Would I just flash the computer, with the updated calibration in the tune repository, with the OS and the calibration flash in the tuning tool?

Would I have to transfer all the info from my tune to the updated tune, or would it just come with all the updates.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by cmitchell17
    I saw on the gm tis website where there was updated os to my 2000 5.3 truck. I found a tune with the upgraded os in the tune repository.

Im confused about. Im pretty sure I have the commercial version too. Is it safe to do this. I couldnt find a turtorial on how to do this. Would I just flash the computer, with the updated calibration in the tune repository, with the OS and the calibration flash in the tuning tool?

Would I have to transfer all the info from my tune to the updated tune, or would it just come with all the updates.

What you'll need to do is a "Program PCM Operating System and Calibrations" with the new OS. All of your modifications will be overwritten, so you'll need to transfer your tune specific changes to the new file before flashing.

Performing an OS flash can be potentially hazardous, as there will be a 16k segment at the start of the flash where if the flash fails, the PCM will be toast. I'd suggest disconnecting the power from any aftermarket electronics tied into the system bus (such as an aftermarket stereo) before starting.

FWIW, I'd suggest upgrading to a 2002 Operating System rather than the updated OS for your truck... The enhancements to the OS would be worth it and if you chose, you'd be able to run COS#5 at some point down the road.

Lifetime Member

This almost sounds like its not worth it. If I updated to a newer os would it fix the minor issues that the dealership would have fixed if you took it to them. Is this what the dealership does? How does the dealership not screw it up.

Lifetime Member

So I can cut the DRL's pull the fuse to the radio, and that is all I need to do.

One thing I don't get is should I flash the updated os of the 2000 tune.

Or should I find a 2002 tune to flash it to. Wouldnt the 2002 tune have ETC?

Wouldnt the updated os have more changes that you couldnt see in the scan tool? The old and new os for 2000 dont look much diffrent.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by cmitchell17
    So I can cut the DRL's pull the fuse to the radio, and that is all I need to do.

One thing I don't get is should I flash the updated os of the 2000 tune.

Or should I find a 2002 tune to flash it too. Wouldnt the 2002 tune have ETC?

Wouldnt the updated os have more changes that you couldnt see in the scan tool? The old and new os for 2000 dont look much diffrent.
    The 2002 OS won't have ETC. Use 12212156.

The new OS likely has changes in the back, behind the scenes, in tables that aren't visible in EFILive

Lifetime Member

Why is the button to program whited out?

I transfered all my changes to the 2002os.

Im going to try it tommaorw.

Lifetime Member

To perform an OS flash, you need to have flashscan connected to the computer before running the tune tool.

Lifetime Member

Ok thanks for the help Justin. I'm going to try it.

Lifetime Member

Ok I flashed it, but I still need to fix some things. The battery light is flashing so I guess this means I need to take the code off becuase my truck dosent have all of the wires coming off the altenator like a 2002 truck.

Although, it feels like my shifts are a lot smoother, and it feels like the torque reduction is timed a lot better. But I still have the 2-3 3-2 clunk.