Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sample Rate

Question Sample Rate

I've been logging for various conditions, and the "standard" sample rate has been sufficient. Currently I'm tuning for the 1/4 mile, and the sample rate is less than satisfactory. Is there anyway to adjust that?

Also a few other questions I had for the EFI Live crew:

Will there be an update allowing more than 1 controller to be recorded during the same log, mainly ECM and TCM?

What's the status or time frame on the black box logging feature? that was the reason I purchased your product, and am still patiently waiting.

Is there any chance that you could add more external sensor expansion ports, as I would like to run more analog sensors than there are ports available. I know that's a lot to ask, and probably a far way off.

I would also like to say that I do like your product, I find it mostly intuitive and easy to use. I've had great success with it and am getting alot of questions at the track, especially as my ET's keep dropping. Thanks for all your hard work it really shows in your product.
    Magna Powertrain - New Process Gear Division, Advanced Engineering. Ever heard of a Transfer Case? GM, Ford, Chrysler, Jeep. We build them all.
    2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax LLY Allison 5 Speed
    13.33 @ 99.14 mph

I guess there's no way to increase the sample rate? huh... If it's limited by the OBD Port then what about the external inputs?
    Magna Powertrain - New Process Gear Division, Advanced Engineering. Ever heard of a Transfer Case? GM, Ford, Chrysler, Jeep. We build them all.
    13.33 @ 99.14 mph

I believe the sample rate is controlled by the number of pids selected and the "Edit - Properties - Logging settings

Also...

PID data values are transmitted between the PCM and EFILive in messages. EFILive uses the OBDII, SAE J1850VPW protocol which sets limits on the size of the messages. The shortest message is 4 bytes, the longest message is 12 bytes. Up to 6 bytes of the message may be used to transmit PID data from the PCM to EFILive (a byte is a number between 0 and 255). EFILive groups multiple messages together into frames. A frame contains enough bytes to transmit the current values of ALL selected PIDs.

Some PIDs cannot be represented by a single byte (i.e. a value in the range 0 to 255), so they require two, or even four bytes to transmit their value.
    EFILive calls these bytes: channels. Different scan modes impose different limits of the number of channels of data that can be transmitted per frame and therefor the number of PIDs that can be transmitted per frame.

General scan mode

This is a general-purpose scan mode supported by all OBDII compliant vehicles. Use this mode if you want to scan data from vehicles that do not support the other, faster scan modes.
    All selected PIDs are requested sequentially, using a request/response strategy.
    In all but a few cases, this scan mode will be the slowest. However, if you have only one or two PIDs selected, then the General scan mode will be faster than any other method.
    EFILive imposes a limit on the maximum number of channels that can be requested per frame using the General scan mode. The limit is 96 channels.

The General scan mode will, in most cases, use up to 80% of the class-2 network bandwith, leaving only 20% for other modules. You can lower the bandwidth usage by increasing the Throttle setting on the Advanced tab page of the Properties window. Increasing the throttle introduces a delay between requests made by EFILive.

General scan mode is not available when using the FlashScan interface cable as a standalone block box data logging device.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMaxME
    I've been logging for various conditions, and the "standard" sample rate has been sufficient. Currently I'm tuning for the 1/4 mile, and the sample rate is less than satisfactory. Is there anyway to adjust that?
    Yes, there are limited adjustments you can make to the sample rate.
    See Appendix-E in the Scan Tool users manual.

Will there be an update allowing more than 1 controller to be recorded during the same log, mainly ECM and TCM?
    Yes, when BB logging is released.

What's the status or time frame on the black box logging feature? that was the reason I purchased your product, and am still patiently waiting.
    AuotCal BB logging is in beta now. A beta version for FlashScan is scheduled to be made available before Nov.

Is there any chance that you could add more external sensor expansion ports, as I would like to run more analog sensors than there are ports available. I know that's a lot to ask, and probably a far way off.
    No, not to FlashSCan V2, but FlashScan V3 is on the design table right now and it may be possible to add more inputs (user expandable) to V3.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I guess there's no way to increase the sample rate? huh... If it's limited by the OBD Port then what about the external inputs?
    The external A/D sample rate is currently linked to the OBDII port data speed.

The external A/D ports can sample data much faster then the OBDII port can supply ECM data. It makes sens to allow you to use that extra sample speed for your own senors. We will investigate doing a firmware update (after BB logging is delivered) that provides independant logging of the A/D inputs. Once that is available, you will get sample rates of over 100 samples per second.

Regards
    Paul

Lifetime Member

FS V3 already??? Dang! S&T V8 first please!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

FlashScan V3 won't be designed and built "in a day". It will be at least 12 months effort - probably longer.

Regards
    Paul

Thanks so much, and again i would like to reiterate my pleasure with your system. I've used many at work, for data logging, and have a clear understanding of the time and effort you put into this system. I'm not sure if i'm the only one worried about sample rate, and external inputs, but I have built a tool in Labview to record many of my other sensors, but have had trouble correlating one datalog to another, as some of the timestamps from the OBDII are irregular. but then again, that's what happens when you put an engineer behind any tool. Thanks again, and I look forward to your next release .
    13.33 @ 99.14 mph

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    FlashScan V3 won't be designed and built "in a day". It will be at least 12 months effort - probably longer.

Regards
    Paul

Embedded systems take a long long long time to develop especially if you are new to the mircoprocessor. Seriously, it is a black art.

It seems like it is taking a long time but seriously. GM has approximately 350 just in calibrations just in the detriot area. Not including the people which actually develop the operating system or in different areas.

I am pretty sure EFI Live doesn't have that manpower. They are making time if you ask me.

Yes, GM must have about 1,000,000 man-hours invested in PCMs/calibrations alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast