Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry Tuning Questions

Default Dry Tuning Questions

I am going to be expiermenting in Nov w/ COS 5 and the VE multiplier, and I was looking overall at other items of interest and was wondering about the following:

I am tuning a 100 Dry Shot on a H/C car
    B0120 RPM Thresehold for Airflow Calc...Being its a dry shot and MAF Dependant, my Dry is coming on @ 2800. Seems to me I want MAF calculation (its what feeds the Dry Fuel) when the dry shot is enabled.

MAF tuning...ok so we tune the MAF best we can, I got it to 1% prior to the H/C...now though with the Nitrous, (Flow a function of pressure...) and tuning the MAF under Nitrous conditions seems like a different animal because you have bottle pressure a factor...Any Suggestions on MAF tuning while spraying Nitrous, or just use the VE multiplier with target bottle pressures?

B0109 Blend IAT w/ ECT...seems to me "No" is the better pic to try and take advantage of the cooling effect of the nitrous on the charge, "Yes" Blending will skew it??
    1999 C5 A-4 Convertible
    1 of 245 Nassua Blue 99 Vert's, Blackwing, LS6 Intake, 42 # Injectors, Two Stage Nitrous System- Dry and a Wet Plate, EFI Live Scan/Tune V2, 1999 PCM with 2002 COS 5 OS Custom Nitrous Panel.

Maine USA

Any results here? I'm planning no doing a dry shot as well, except in speed density mode. If they ever come out with a COS5 for the 1MB PCMs (2004 GTO).

I am doing a test/tune session on the dyno end of Dec I will write up my results. I plan on the dry @2800 RPM, the major problem is I want to use the safety's built into my Trick Performance Nitrous gauge and set them up for 10-12 AFR, anything out of that it will shut down the nitrous system. I had the pin to ground wired to a toggle, but now I am going to wire it to the Dry Arm so it cannot be forgotten. The trick is going to be getting the AFR into the safety range prior to 2800 else the nitrous will activate late.
    1999 C5 A-4 Convertible
    1 of 245 Nassua Blue 99 Vert's, Blackwing, LS6 Intake, 42 # Injectors, Two Stage Nitrous System- Dry and a Wet Plate, EFI Live Scan/Tune V2, 1999 PCM with 2002 COS 5 OS Custom Nitrous Panel.

Maine USA

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Doe
    Any results here? I'm planning no doing a dry shot as well, except in speed density mode. If they ever come out with a COS5 for the 1MB PCMs (2004 GTO).
    You lost me here, if your running speed density, then your not running a MAF, how are you gonna use a dry kit?
    WWW.EFIAlchemy.com

YOU, lost me with that question. Why could I not run a dry kit in speed density?

With COS5, I should be able to setup the EFILive to add fuel, and reduce timing when an external trigger is sensed. That trigger will be when the nitrous is triggered.

Lifetime Member

I think what he meant was that dry N2O kits are placed pre-MAF so when the N2O goes through the MAF the PCM senses this change in temp and can adjust fueling.

You are talking about setting EFILive up so that when you hit a switch the fueling is already set specifically for N2O, basically hitting a switch vs letting the MAF make the changes for you.

-------

Am I close guys? Hope I am!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

The MAF senses increased "flow" which causes the PCM to add fuel.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar
    The MAF senses increased "flow" which causes the PCM to add fuel.
    Thats the simple answer I was aiming for, thanks for reading my mind!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Now if I could only read my Mrs' mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Doe
    YOU, lost me with that question. Why could I not run a dry kit in speed density?

With COS5, I should be able to setup the EFILive to add fuel, and reduce timing when an external trigger is sensed. That trigger will be when the nitrous is triggered.

While i see how that could work for a dry kit, its generally used for wet kits (at least in my experience) becouse with wet kits there is no way to control fuel or timing,

Dry kits fire the nitrous in front of the MAF, when the MAF see's the nitrous it senses it as extra air, so it adds fuel to compensate, so if your in speed density with the maf turned off, it would not work
    WWW.EFIAlchemy.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast