Thread: Tuning friends truck...need ideas about wideband

Default Tuning friends truck...need ideas about wideband

I am planning on getting a wideband for my truck for tuning soon...but what I want to know is if there is a certain wideband that will go where the stock NB02 sensors go that I can take from truck to truck to tune.

Or if there isn't, how would I tune a typical truck without one. I am just planning on tuning the VE and MAF on the others. I have seen articles on other forums on tuning from LTFT's, but I don't know if that works well.

Thanks for the help as i am still learning a lot!!

As far as I know, any wideband sensor/unit is portable.
    It's just a matter of not bothering to run your wiring permanently.
    Put a cig plug on the power supply to your wideband unit and just plug it into the cig lighter or power socket in the vehicle in which you're using it/tuning.
    Hang your wiring through the window and under the bonnet (yeah...ok...hood) to the sensor. Temporarily tie your NBO2 sensor up out of the way when you install your WBO2 sensor in its place.
    Howard

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T
    MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE
    DUCT TAPE.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

98 K1500 'HOLDEN' Suburban.
    Custom Whipple SC, Mercruiser Marine intake, 0411 PCM, 4L80E w/shift kit

Lifetime Member

Without a wideband I don't think you get it running the way they want.

Are you tuning trucks with cams, or any trucks stock or not?

To get timing right you will have to have a dyno, if you tuning stock trucks or just mild modded trucks you can use the optimal timing table as a example of the best timing.

Quote Originally Posted by cmitchell17
    Without a wideband I don't think you get it running the way they want.

Are you tuning trucks with cams, or any trucks stock or not?

To get timing right you will have to have a dyno, if you tuning stock trucks or just mild modded trucks you can use the optimal timing table as a example of the best timing.
    No cams, the trucks I'll be tuning are pretty mild (CAI, exhaust, maybe headers...).

So I should just stick to timing? I am assuming that even if these trucks are stock I can still tune them better than factory. I was thinking starting with AutoVE, then to MAF. After that I really don't know. Maybe some tranny stuff.

I'm new to all this so I don't know what works and what doesn't. Trial and error I guess

I bought the LM-1 as I was after a portable unit. Its main advantage is the fact you can do a free air calibration with the touch of a button, something that should be done every time you change vehicles. I aso like the extra data logging available with this unit for when tuning a non efi vehicle.

Lifetime Member

On my truck with just exhaust I set my PE To 12.6-12.51000-3500rpm then 12.4-12.83600-6000rpm.

Experimenting with timing I found you can use about 70% optimal timing but the high airmass low rpm cells need to be drop by 2-4 degrees to prevent knock when the TC is locked under load.

You will have to mess with the fuel mixture spark correction table to prevent the timing from going to high.

Let me know how your tuning goes. I have yet to see a timing table from a truck motor with stock heads tuned on a dyno.

Lifetime Member

Heres my tune. Ive just got exhaust. You can see that I havent done a whole lot.

The PE delay mode makes a big diffrence make sure it is set to zero.

I dont have a lot of experience with electronic throttle trucks but if you can tweak them I think it will make a big diffrence but you can't go to far from stock or you will mess up the PCM.

Theres some other threads here about Electronic throttle control and how to tweak it, I think it makes a diffrence especially burnouts.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by cmitchell17
    On my truck with just exhaust I set my PE To 12.6-12.51000-3500rpm then 12.4-12.83600-6000rpm.

Experimenting with timing I found you can use about 70% optimal timing but the high airmass low rpm cells need to be drop by 2-4 degrees to prevent knock when the TC is locked under load.

You will have to mess with the fuel mixture spark correction table to prevent the timing from going to high.

Let me know how your tuning goes. I have yet to see a timing table from a truck motor with stock heads tuned on a dyno.
    I'm not planning on putting it on a dyno, I'm just trying to get some more power and MPG, but no dyno tuning.

Do you have your stock tune so I can do a comparison? Thanks

Lifetime Member

Yeah, theres all the stock tunes you want at holdencrazy. Do a google search for it.
    Attached Files Attached Files