Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "The" DPF removal write-up

Been deleted for more than a month now with with no problems after CAL files seems to run stronger than my LBZ but can't back that up. EFI live is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

thanks

Dusty

Happy to report with nicks help the truck is running great, and is getting around 17 mpg with only 5000 miles on truck. Much better than 10 mpg

Quote Originally Posted by dustinparsons
    Happy to report with nicks help the truck is running great, and is getting around 17 mpg with only 5000 miles on truck. Much better than 10 mpg

What a disgrace if that is the effect of having the system fitted. Is it just me but surely using less fuel is ultimately better in the overall scheme of emissions? Or is that what happens when the system is removed with no tuning to suit?

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Its been a busy week. Received my MBRP 4" SS system and installed it, same day, yesterday. Removed the DPF in the process. Left yesterday afternoon for a good 3 hour tow of a 17k lb. RV down to the Hill Country of Texas for the holiday.

I liked this truck before removing the DPF. But now, I love this truck. I'll be removing the DOC next weekend so I can get a little more sound and performance from it. EFI Live will be next. MPG on the tow was 10.5. This with only 5k miles on it.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Boost
    These are the parameters that have to be altered for DPF removal:

Change B2501 to No
    Change B2502 to 0
    Set the regen min engine temp to the max value (ie: higher than opperating temps)
    Where do you set the regen min engine temp value? I didn't see that in the parameter section of the DPF?
    EFI UNIVERSITY
    "Setting the Standard"
    www.efi101.com

I don't see it either but have no problems just setting the regen to no. There may be some newer cal. files that helps show that. If so could some one let us know

Quote Originally Posted by Boost
    I'd like to gather all the useful info in one place about DPF removal.

DISCLAIMER:

The DPF was designed to allow the Duramax to comply with the extremely strict new diesel emissions regulations. Removing or modifying it is illegal, and for off-road use only!

Good information and thanks for the effort. Just want to point out that vehicle use has no bearing on the legality of doing this, or any other emission modification of a clean air act equipped vehicle from the factory. So off-road won't keep you out of trouble, they can show up at the track I suppose.

"(1) in the case of a manufacturer of new motor vehicles or
    new motor vehicle engines for distribution in commerce, the sale, or the offering for sale, or the introduction, or delivery for introduction, into commerce, or (in the case of any person, except as provided by regulation of the Adminis-trator), the importation into the United States, of any new motor vehicle or new motor vehicle engine, manufactured after the effective date of regulations under this part which are applicable to such vehicle or engine unless such vehicle or engine is covered by a certificate of conformity issued (and in effect) under regulations prescribed under this part or part C in the case of clean-fuel vehicles (except as provided in subsection (b));"

But like all things, ask your attorney for his official interpretation.

http://www.epa.gov/oar/caa/caa205.txt
    http://www.epa.gov/air/caa/caa203.txt
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

I removed my DOC and DPF this week. Installed an MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust and EFI Live. I went through Nick's LMM tuning tutorial and built a mild tune for the truck. After working out a few bugs with Nick's help, the truck runs great, no MIL. I am curious though, mine keeps throwing a P2455 and a P0546. I have both of these codes set to "Not reported, NO MIL" so hwo do they keep popping up?

Also, with the MBRP exhaust, the turbo makes a hissing sounds at idle. Not really an issue in the cab, just sounds strange when standing by the tail pipe. I heard the turbo vanes can be opened up a little at idle to minimize this sound. Looks like mine sits at about 80% at idle. Does anybody know what a good setting is to minimize this noise?

The hissing is the turbo spooling at idle and I personally think it's really cool.
    A code may be stored without setting off the light.
    Thanks to all for the info. I would think an exhausted and tuned LMM is stronger than a similar LBZ. I can't wait to get mine.
    Last edited by Boost; December 5th, 2007 at 07:41 AM.
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast