Thread: Removing Torque Reduction...what 4L60e mods??

Default Removing Torque Reduction...what 4L60e mods??

I want to remove all or almost all of the Torque Reduction from a 2005 5.3L with a 4l60e transmission...what mods are needed on the tranny so it doesn't blow up on me? Or what do you guys recommend? Is it something that a tranny shop has to install, or can it be done by my dad and I (my Dad is a diesel mechanic...)?

Thanks for the help guys!!

There is a lot that can be done to beef up the 4l60e like a stronger sun reaction shell better servos and better ¾ clutch pack. It is not something I would recommend trying yourself as there are a few special tools and knowledge needed, you would be best to speck top your local transmission shop.
    Even with trans mods removing the torque reduction fully will shorten the life of your trans by a relatively large amount.
    If you do remove it fully make sure you lift your line pressure to help reduce wear

Lifetime Member

Shift kit and servos...

One or more of these will surely die: trans., U-joints, driveshaft, differential, axles...

and also engine/trans. mounts (but they're cheap)...

Lifetime Member

Id do a vette servo first (and an OD servo if you want, dont think you need it), a trans cooler is always important, and then move to a shift kit. Love the way my 4L60E shifts with just the Vette servo and stock valve internals, 0ed shift times, 0 TM all around (but Im 18 and dont mind the harshness all the time). Im personally very hesitant to recommend a shift kit, but if you want one then have a shop who does them all the time do it. I messed up installing my Transgo HD2 and Billet OD servo in my TrailBlazer and lost 4th TCC lockup, eventually lost 4th gear altogether (that was servo prob). Had to remove both to get 4th TCC lockup back, servo messed up 4th gear but the shift kit messed up lockup.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have the Superior TCC fix kit installed too, only way I could get lockup back. But I agree with the bottom post as mine is coupled to the 4.2L I6 pushing 270/275 stock so its not gonna get beat up like a V8.
    Last edited by ScarabEpic22; November 13th, 2007 at 04:24 PM.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Default 4l60e mods

Here's what I did on mine at 56k (2002 Silvy)... no I was not having issues yet, but I made the time because I also had a new PI Vigilante 3k stall to put in =) I'm at 103k now with the stall, 0 TM, 0'd shift times, and a heavy foot with no problems. (I assume you have an M30 RPO code and not M32, I guess only the 6.0 came with the M32 in 2005.)

Tranny cooler is first on the list... mine came with one from the factory.
    The Beast sun gear shell
    Raybestos 3-4 clutch pack (Z PAK)
    Sonnax 4th Gear "Super-Hold Servo" Piston
    Corvette style servo
    Sonnax TCC Regulator valve kit - reamed and upgraded valve
    Sonnax Servo Release check valve
    Sonnax Pinless accumlator pistons
    5-pinion rear-planet (same as 4l65e rear planet)
    Transgo HD2-C shift kit... but you can also opt for the Superior shift kit if you like... it's a bit easier to install.
    TransGo hardened separator plate
    Replaced all worn bushings, bands, etc.

Tools... all I used were standard tools, as I did not have to do a complete rebuild. I did have to buy this bit to remove the bell-housing
    Torx-Plus 50-IP
    and the Sonnax Reamer kit although I don't know if it is still necessary to do this on the newer valve bodies or not.

I had done lots of engine work before this, but never a tranny. It just takes a lot of time the first go-around. Get a good manual or a 4l60e rebuild DVD, it will definitely help... you could even take a look at this first to see if you'd like to tackle it. It was fun... good luck!