Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: '06 E40 PCM locked

Ah ok, the trace you sent me the TCM read had not progressed to Step4, it failed at the seed/key authentication, can you please send me the blx file that gets to step 4.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I just emailed you two more blx files. I tried it a bunch of times so one of those should show it going to step 4 then the error. The two i just sent are the most recent files. Thanks.

Any ideas? i'm still getting the same bootloader error. I have submitted blx bug files to tech support and i have two different posts on this site (here and under the T42 heading). I still have not been able to tune my TCM, which is why i bought the software. I purchased EFI through Summit Racing so no options from tech support there. Any other options for me? or just send it back? Thanks for any further help.

98TJ, the problem is the ECM & TCM are not stock, they have been locked by LS2Edit, we helped you out with the ECM right?, the TCM still appears to be locked, the simple answer is to send it all back to the person that tuned it and ask them to unlock both the ECM & TCM for you.
    I don't think the problem is EFILive, you might feel a bit annoyed about all this and want to send it back, but, you are still going to be left with a locked ECM and TCM that nobody can tune.
    It's been the weekend here in Australia, but now that it's Monday I'll look at the 2nd lot of blx files you sent to support to see what is going on.

EDIT: OK, confirmed that the TCM is staying locked after EFILive has attempted 4 different unlock attempts, sorry to say but the only way around this is to send it back to the person with LS2Edit to have it unlocked, at least call them and talk to them about the situation to see what they can do for you. If that fails you will need a new TCM.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Last edited by GMPX; December 9th, 2007 at 12:39 PM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

well, thanks for checking. my frustration resulted from waiting since last Wednesday for the results of the blx files. I bought the software approx. 2 weeks ago and have gotten nowhere. Swapping the trans. took less time.
    So, EFI live unlocks my ECM (E 40) no problem but it can not get into the TCM???
    I spoke with the tuner early last week and he thinks it would have to be returned to stock calibrations just to unlock it.
    Anyway, i bought the software to tune it myself to avoid having to send it back to my tuner everytime i need to change something.
    Guess, i have to send it back again so i will just have him make the changes and cut my loses with EFI live. Thanks again. Good luck guys.

If you need to send it back, just have the previous tuner return the TCM to stock and then you can tune it as necessary. Starting with a stock calibration is OK.
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Quote Originally Posted by 98TJ
    well, thanks for checking. my frustration resulted from waiting since last Wednesday for the results of the blx files. .
    True, however, the first ones you sent were not the correct .blx files, the correct ones landed in my Email box Friday, sorry I didn't look at them that day.
    I bought the software approx. 2 weeks ago and have gotten nowhere. Swapping the trans. took less time.
    So, EFI live unlocks my ECM (E 40) no problem but it can not get into the TCM???.
    You maybe don't understand the locking process? It's not like EFILive is flawed because it can't unlock the TCM too, nothing out there will even attempt to unlock a locked ECM / TCM apart from EFILive. The whole point of locking the controllers is so people cannot read them!, we at least allow people some success in reading a locked controller because LS2Edit 'locks' every controller by default, the tuner was probably not aware of that. Reading a locked controller is certainly not something we guarantee to be able to do.
    I'm not sure why you would be annoyed at EFILive (the product) because it can't read / tune a locked controller?

I spoke with the tuner early last week and he thinks it would have to be returned to stock calibrations just to unlock it. .
    Correct, that is what LS2Edit forces them to do.

Anyway, i bought the software to tune it myself to avoid having to send it back to my tuner everytime i need to change something.
    Guess, i have to send it back again so i will just have him make the changes and cut my loses with EFI live. Thanks again. Good luck guys.
    Again, please don't think that because your tuner locked the ECM / TCM that there is something wrong with EFILive. This situation is no different to buying a used car from a dealer only to find out the previous owner did something to the car that the dealer or you were not aware of, it's not the dealers or your fault.
    I don't think you need to "cut your losses", once your TCM is restored to stock then you will be free to tune the ECM and TCM as you wanted to.

Cheers,
    Ross

Just to clear some things up. I am very new to this tuning thing. I put a 2006 5.3 w/ 4L60E into a Jeep Wrangler. I recently swapped in a built 4L60E and wanted to make changes to the shift times and be able to deselect/delete codes. The trans builder recommended EFI live b/c it could eliminate the codes that may pop up with the bigger stall.

I was simply frustrated with the 4 day turnaround, from the time i sent the two new files, on the tech support submission requesting the results of the file. I was trying to get this done and was just waiting to find out if i needed to send the ECM/TCM back. I was trying to make a deadline for a trip that was planned.

No, i don't understand how the lock/unlock, read/write, flash, etc, etc works yet. Very new to this. I wasn't expecting anything from the product (other than to tune the trans), so i wasn't "annoyed at the product" or thought it was "flawed". I had no idea that the ECM/TCM was locked by the tuner. Or even what the heck that meant until i started doing some research/learning about all this stuff.
    I underlined the word "not" just so you would clarify that the statment was indeed correct (that it would unlock the one but not the other). I guess i was hoping that i missed something and that it would be still be possible to get into the TCM. Only seemed weird to me b/c the error didn't say "TCM is locked". But now i know that is the problem. Again, thanks for looking at that.

I realize the tuner can return the ecm/tcm to stock but i was hoping to avoid that with the ecm since the engine runs just fine right now. Plus, it would take me a while to figure out how to tune the ecm to the point that he has it now (since this is an engine/trans swap and not the original vehicle). Again, i was only hoping to tune the trans for now and learn as i go. I wasn't looking to start over with the tunes.

I mentioned cutting my loses due to time lost/deadline missed and the need to send back the ecm/tcm. If he can just reset the TCM and leave the ECM alone for now, then it might be ok. If not then i will have to leave his tune, for now, and send it back for any changes.

Last edited by 98TJ; December 9th, 2007 at 07:14 PM.

Lifetime Member

He should be able to just change the TCM, if you can pull the tune from the ECM now and flash it back (same tune) then its fine. The TCM is all you need then. I understand your frustration, there is a very steep initial learning curve we all go through and its really agonizing and seemingly long.

Believe me, when you get that TCM unlocked you will love the changes EFILive can make to it. I have a stock 4L60E with just a Vette 1-2 servo and EFILive, coupled with my 4.2L I6 I spin the tires from 1-2 (by choice) and it shifts really firmly. Especially with yours being built, only a few tweaks and you should be shifting nice and firm.

That is a swap Ive never heard of before, how common is it?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Just to clear some things up. I am very new to this tuning thing.

I was simply frustrated with the 4 day turnaround, from the time i sent the two new files, on the tech support submission requesting the results of the file. I was trying to get this done and was just waiting to find out if i needed to send the ECM/TCM back. I was trying to make a deadline for a trip that was planned.

I mentioned cutting my loses due to time lost/deadline missed and the need to send back the ecm/tcm. If he can just reset the TCM and leave the ECM alone for now, then it might be ok. If not then i will have to leave his tune, for now, and send it back for any changes.

WTF.... You got more help than you deserved. Take your frustrations out on the pecker head that locked your ECM & TCM. Or didn't you pay him for a unlocked tune

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123