Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BB Logging update Dec 01, 2007

If you have updated the boot loader then use the EFILive_Explorer program to update the firmware and you do not need dead poll mode anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by tunedbyGM
    Can't update FlashScan firmware through FlashScan Programmer .
    The unit has a hard time going into "dead-poll mode" , takes several tries holding down the "ctrl" button and once it does go into dead-poll mode FS programmer will not see it (two orange LEDs flashing) , says unit is not in dead-poll mode .
    Everything else seems to function just the no going into dead-poll mode.
    I have the same problem with the flashscan firmware. I also can't upload any tunes.

WOW this upgrade is a 1000 years before its time!!!!!
    (look at the title of this thread: Dec 01, 1007)
    Dave.

Quick question. On the subject of not needing a boot block update. What is the "bootblock" check box for in the firmware tab of EFI Live Explorer?
    E35A/A40 + DSP5

Lifetime Member

I've got a problem here. I'm able to read a PCM, but not able to flash one. This problem occurred in front of the EFILive class while doing a demonstration on the dyno. Gives me an error about the EFILive firmware version being incorrect. Says I need at least 2.4.57 or later, and that I have 10.5.2

I've got three trucks to tune tomorrow and would really prefer to not have to borrow a cable...

Justin
    Last edited by dc_justin; December 1st, 2007 at 09:32 PM.

Lifetime Member

I hate to point this out, but having been a beta tester for various pieces of software since 1983 or so, I can state without reservations that if you're making your living with FlashScan, and you only have one cable, you should not be messing with Beta software, especially where it involves updating a piece of hardware that you have no way of recovering if anything goes wrong. Beta means it's probably close to release and I've tried everything I could think of to test after not getting enough sleep and needing to go to bed so would you testers be kind enough to tell me if I'm close by the time I get up tomorrow so I can fix what I broke.

Sometimes being a beta tester has been the coolest thing in the world, and other times it's caused me to lose days or weeks of work or to need to reformat hard drives. It's got me lots of free software and hardware, but in the long run, I'd have more money if I just bought the software and worked at paying gigs. But I love finding bugs and breaking things, just ask Paul. If you don't or if you need it to work, wait for people like me who can afford to have broken hardware to find all the problems for you.

Ira

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan
    Quick question. On the subject of not needing a boot block update. What is the "bootblock" check box for in the firmware tab of EFI Live Explorer?
    It is just in case future updates do require a boot block update. It may never be required, but its there just in case.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ira
    I hate to point this out, but having been a beta tester for various pieces of software since 1983 or so, I can state without reservations that if you're making your living with FlashScan, and you only have one cable, you should not be messing with Beta software, especially where it involves updating a piece of hardware that you have no way of recovering if anything goes wrong. Beta means it's probably close to release and I've tried everything I could think of to test after not getting enough sleep and needing to go to bed so would you testers be kind enough to tell me if I'm close by the time I get up tomorrow so I can fix what I broke.

Sometimes being a beta tester has been the coolest thing in the world, and other times it's caused me to lose days or weeks of work or to need to reformat hard drives. It's got me lots of free software and hardware, but in the long run, I'd have more money if I just bought the software and worked at paying gigs. But I love finding bugs and breaking things, just ask Paul. If you don't or if you need it to work, wait for people like me who can afford to have broken hardware to find all the problems for you.

Ira

Thats normally the reason why beta testing here usually gets done by a select group, and not to the general public (this goes for thousands of other companies too).
    Problems are almost a given in beta testing hence the reason for the RED writing at the begining of the readme file.
    Unfortunately, during public Beta testing, you will always get a few that try it and then get upset when it doesn't work properly (just talking generally, not aiming at any particular person).

Don't get me wrong, post all the problems you find, thats what beta testing is all about.

I am just hoping that all of you that are beta testing understand this. The more people beta testing, the quicker the problems can be found and fixed. If this public beta test is successful, we might get more opertunities to beta test.

Sorry for the ranting, I'm done!
    Dave.

I think the warnings were clear from even before the beta release ... anybody who has ever programmed (especially for a living) will know that there is hardly any chance of writing a program without bugs (well, maybe apart from a "Hello, world!" program). Many are found by the programmer (team), some more by internal QA, a few more by external beta testers (usually a limited range of users), and yet some more make it to the end user (yippee!), mainly because of either weird usage/layer 8 problems, others because not all possible configurations can be present for testing.
    I think the turnaround time for reported bugs & availability of fixes by Paul is fine. (try to get a fix for a known bug by Microsoft ... but don't hold your breath waiting ...) We've already come a long way, I reckon by the new year everybody should be able to enjoy a stable, @ss-kickin' release of the V2 software!
    Garry Glendown * '17 Fifty 2SS MT * 99 Firehawk Convertible (for sale)

Quote Originally Posted by Biggsy
    WOW this upgrade is a 1000 years before its time!!!!!
    (look at the title of this thread: Dec 01, 1007)
    we`ve been waiting for BBL for so long we have gone back in time!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast