Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tuning vehicle not using any wideband

Default tuning vehicle not using any wideband

hey guys i read thed autove table but i do not have a wideband right now for that. I do have access to a dyno. Now my question is how will I tune the car like this.

Will I just adjust the Backup VE table or the Main VE table in my 99 program.

Also how do I tune with the NB02 sensor.

I have found lots of AUTOVE tuning but no tuning with stock 02 sensor.

I wanna get a few extra WHP

Quote Originally Posted by dsmlights
    hey guys i read thed autove table but i do not have a wideband right now for that. I do have access to a dyno. Now my question is how will I tune the car like this.

Will I just adjust the Backup VE table or the Main VE table in my 99 program.

Also how do I tune with the NB02 sensor.

I have found lots of AUTOVE tuning but no tuning with stock 02 sensor.

I wanna get a few extra WHP
    You can dial in parts of the VE table with the narrow bands but if you have access to a dyno and they have a 5v output from the tailpipe AFR meter you was set

Jez

ummm any tutorials on tuing car not using autoVE?

The fact is, you need a WB to accurately dial in WOT AFR. There's no getting around it. For closed loop fueling, you can get an idea of where the fueling is at based on the fuel trims and adjust accordingly - whether it be through the VE, MAF, or injector tables. If it's a stock LS1, they usually are within 6~8% of having commanded=actual fueling depending on what bolt-ons/mods have been made to the motor.

In the end, you should ask yourself what's more important...investing $300 into a WB setup or having to potentially invest $3000+ into a new engine?

Lifetime Member

Besides the above info---It is just plain fun to tune. A W/B opens up a whole new world of tuning. You can play golf for 2 or 3 Saturdays or spend the same or less money and get a Wideband O2.

There is some info floating around ls1tech about tuning with NB's. That said, I would strongly encourage you to invest into a WB.

I've been in a similar boat before - just spent 10k on a power train, 2k on a PC and tuning software, and then I find out I need another chunk of change for a WB. So being hard headed, I decided to tune with NB's. After about 8 weeks of chasing my tail, I got an LC1 WB, and 3 days later, I had the majority of my tune nailed. Wasn't until I picked up an RR that I got my low speed drivabitily sorted.

The cool part about tuning software/tools is that they have a resale value and are almost always in high demand.

i know . but the problem is that I do not have a wideband only on the dyno. I do not want to keep the efi V1 on my car all the time. The unit does not belong to me. can't I just use the dyno Wideband..

I am just trying to find out if it is Ok to tune the car on a dyno not using auto VE.

And if so do I just change the main Ve or backup VE.

You certainly don't have to keep V1 or a WB in/on the car all the time. If the dyno does have a WB, you can connect it to V1 while you're there and call it a day afterwords.

Not to be a wet blanket or jack ass but, the likeliehood of you getting the dyno's WB02 output to work with the V1 (in a timely manner) is pretty much slim to none.

Once again, don't take offense at my remark but, there is no easy way around setting up a WB02 for the process of AutoVE. Actually tuning your Air Fuel via the backup/main VE and or MAF tables-depending on your vehicle year and desired fueling method is what AutoVE is all about.

I would just hate to see you book dyno time only to find out that getting their WB02 and the V1 to actually work togther and fully comphrend the information provided by the scan and tune tools is going to eat up alot of time.

It is not impossible, just a bit more involved.

You got to learn to walk before you run.

And, NB tuning is mental masturbation.

2000 Silverado Full Size 4x4: Forged 6.2, H/C F1R Procharger
    98A4 Z28: 02 PCM H/C Forged 347, 9" Moser 3.73
    V1 V2 99+up RR COS #5 OLSD Dual Stg N20
    www.efialchemy.com
    www.greatamericancarwar.com

It's not just ls1tech where the misinformation flies freely. Check out http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193871 It seems that every so often someone insists that a NB can give you an accurate correlation with AFR away from stoich. Then someone else chimes in and says xyz millivolts is a safe NB tune and he can prove it, yada yada. Then the guys with WB's and scatter plots come in and usually send the original poster back under his rock, but the guy on the GTO board seems terminally clueless. Even the thinly veiled insults went over his head.

Having said that, I have used fuel trims with reasonable success in the areas under closed loop control before I got my WB. Just recently, my WB setup had a problem, and I was able to rough things in with STFT's. But I wouldn't dream of doing it at WOT with a power adder.
    World's First Twin Screw Pontiac GTO
    2004 GTO. Blown H/C 408, stage 3 keyboard, billet tires
    2017 Chevy SS with dead hooker is spacious trunk
    2014 Chevy Cruze. MPG queen with my balls in spacious glove compartment.

www.aussiemotive.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast