Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TCM shift patterns

Basically, can we make this thing work like a Manual valve body?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshH
    For 1->2 and 2->1 in the part throttle and I think WOT there are 8 different shift patterns. There is normal, t/h, 4 low, transmission hot, normal with selector in '2', t/h with selector in '2', 4 low with selector in '2' and transmission hot with selector in '2'. Well, on the 6 speed there is no '2' position, there is an 'M' position, and each gear is selected with the +/- buttons on the shifter. With stock programming this just serves as a way to limit the highest available gear, but the transmission will still downshift if it sees the appropriate speed/throttle position.

I was wondering if all those shift patterns were available for the rest of the gears too. Then we could possibly program the shifts so that a gear will not downshift unless you tell it to with the +/- buttons.

Does that make sense now?
    YES BUT I DON'T THINK SO DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE + AND - ARE ENERGIZED WHEN THE SHIFTER IS ACTUALLY IN THE M POSITION, AND WHEN IT'S ON THE M THE COMPUTER WILL ONLY READ THE GRAPHS WHEN GEAR ARE NOT SHIFTED WITH IN TIME, IT WILL AUTOMATICALY MOVE TO THE D SETTINGS IF IT'S NOT SHIFTED MANUALY, THIS IS THE WHAT MAKE IT SO GREAT, IF YOU FORGET TO SHIFT IN M IT WILL SHIFT FOR YOU.

Really? I can hit the fuel cut off in 1st-3rd. Never tried 4th.

When will it automatically shift? I know it will downshift. Or is that what you are talking about?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by lennox69
    YES BUT I DON'T THINK SO DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE + AND - ARE ENERGIZED WHEN THE SHIFTER IS ACTUALLY IN THE M POSITION, AND WHEN IT'S ON THE M THE COMPUTER WILL ONLY READ THE GRAPHS WHEN GEAR ARE NOT SHIFTED WITH IN TIME, IT WILL AUTOMATICALY MOVE TO THE D SETTINGS IF IT'S NOT SHIFTED MANUALY, THIS IS THE WHAT MAKE IT SO GREAT, IF YOU FORGET TO SHIFT IN M IT WILL SHIFT FOR YOU.
    Mine won't. I can hold any gear as long as I want to. As far as I can tell it will automatically downshift, but it won't shift any higher than the gear selected. The downshift is what I'm wanting to prevent. If we can program so it won't downshift until something ridiculously low like 1 MPH it should stay in the gear that is selected.

Mine won't. I can hold any gear as long as I want to. As far as I can tell it will automatically downshift, but it won't shift any higher than the gear selected. The downshift is what I'm wanting to prevent. If we can program so it won't downshift until something ridiculously low like 1 MPH it should stay in the gear that is selected.
    yes it will ....leave it in m and come to a stop and drive normal after the stop,don't touch anything and she will shift ,just like d setting, mine does this all the time.

if you want try this as well, run m don't downshift when you come to a stop, take off,run thru all six gears, downshift to third,come to a stop and it will act like d after that. i believe the trans computer see's that you are not capable to run in m and then switch back to prevent clutch plates from burning. mine does this every time. i also tried this in my wife's bmw and does the samething.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by lennox69
    yes it will ....leave it in m and come to a stop and drive normal after the stop,don't touch anything and she will shift ,just like d setting, mine does this all the time.
    Well, maybe you have some different programming than I have because mine will not shift any higher than the gear that is bracketed. Like I said it will downshift, but it will not upshift higher than the gear I selected. It will shift up to it but not past.

Yes, they will shift while in M from a stop, if you dont have 1st gear selected. If you have 4th gear selected, it will shift up to 4th, but no further, same if you select 3rd or 2nd, wont shift past either of those.

The only thing M really does is allow you to select the highest gear you want the trans to shift up to or force it to downshift. Not really ment to be used as true manual gear selection like you find in some cars.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra#3747
    Yes, they will shift while in M from a stop, if you dont have 1st gear selected. If you have 4th gear selected, it will shift up to 4th, but no further, same if you select 3rd or 2nd, wont shift past either of those.

The only thing M really does is allow you to select the highest gear you want the trans to shift up to or force it to downshift. Not really ment to be used as true manual gear selection like you find in some cars.
    Exactly, but if we could get access to the shifting tables for the 'M' position then I think it could be like a manual gear selection. That's why I was asking about it.

Exactly, but if we could get access to the shifting tables for the 'M' position then I think it could be like a manual gear selection. That's why I was asking about it.

I am with you, understood what you were talking about from the start

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast