Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise AF and VE tables

I'll take a look when I get home tonite.

Lifetime Member

Excellent, thanks. Main goal here is max fuel efficiency between 1600 and 2400 during cruise conditions, max power under other conditions. And I gotta finish this up quick, Pop's kinda hinting around that I've had his truck too long. And I agree, I've had that thing waaaaay too long. Slow as it is, I miss my S15 ext cab, and it's almost roadworthy again.

I'm not going to be home until pretty late tonite, so I be in "dead-mode"... ...but we'll see how I go...

I got a chance to look at your log very briefly just now, it shows lots of knock retard (very bad for your motor)...
    I think you're running too lean, and you have virtually no PE;
    your tune shows you're too lean, and you have too much spark advance;
    you should be able to hear it pinging.

Too run lean cruise, it will be easier to run in open loop and set up B3605 to be lean at low-mid MAP; but at high MAP you want to be rich (so that you can accelerate without pinging); you will also need to enable PE at a lower throttle (say 65% below 3600 RPM and 35% above that), and richen PE also; your hi-octane spark table has too much advance at higher airmass... I think at your highest airmass you will want no more than 25-28 degrees... you want to ramp up to that as RPM increases.

My $0.02.

I welcome comments/opinions from anyone else...

Cheers,
    Joe

Lifetime Member

You'd think if it was running too lean it would be getting better mileage, it's gotten a bit worse. Power was actually very good until the last tune when I pulled some timing. The thing about the knock retard, it pulls more or less timing for the same cells, and I don't understand what is making the decision that this time on WOT on a flat road no wind at 4500RPM it'll pull 6 degrees, but that time on WOT on a flat road with no wind at 4500RPM it'll pull 12 degrees. Something in there is different, and the only thing I'm aware of is outside temps were about 20 degrees different. I know you only have the one log, but I had two to look at.

Think it might be time to revert to the original tune and strike out again then. I'll recheck this post while working on it, but will definitely get the original fuel/spark tune back in first thing. I've actually not heard it knocking, but since the knock sensor will pick up on it before I will and I know it's been hearing it... Thanks though, I'll appreciate any info on this that comes my way. Running open loop's not really going to be an option here as it's not my truck.

Lifetime Member

Got to thinking about it, and the PE might be the whole problem here. A lean charge will burn faster than a rich charge and requires less timing. So, I fattened the PE up quite a bit (actually put it back to stock) and loaded it last night. I'll have to get a new log on it now to see where I stand. I think the timing portion is correct, at least on the cruise area, so if the logs look clean on knock retard I might go ahead and add the timing back in. I've not seen any issues with the knock sensor pulling timing in any low power situations.

Naturally I'm still accepting any and all advice, but what I've gotten so far has been a huge help. I'll see about posting up a new log and program load in the next day or three.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Telco
    Got to thinking about it, and the PE might be the whole problem here. A lean charge will burn faster than a rich charge and requires less timing. So, I fattened the PE up quite a bit (actually put it back to stock) and loaded it last night. I'll have to get a new log on it now to see where I stand. I think the timing portion is correct, at least on the cruise area, so if the logs look clean on knock retard I might go ahead and add the timing back in. I've not seen any issues with the knock sensor pulling timing in any low power situations.

Naturally I'm still accepting any and all advice, but what I've gotten so far has been a huge help. I'll see about posting up a new log and program load in the next day or three.

I thought that did too, but then a read something that said a richer charge burns faster than a lean charge.
    So why do you need more timing when there is a richer charge.

For the lean cruise why don't you just adjust the O2 switchpoints?
    That way you fueling is normal except for light loads it goes leaner. I think ive noticed some mpgs from this.

I do that and then make my truck enter pe early like 60% throttle. Ive also been experimenting to make pe enable in second gear. Like when your accelerating and it shifts to second and you dont want to go to first becuase it will go to very high rpms. So im trying to make it enter pe to see if it won't lug so much.

Lifetime Member

Try my tune.

If you have a 2000 5.3, this is also the updated operating system, so you should be able to do a full refalsh with my tune and have the updated os.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lifetime Member

I'll take a look tonight. New info, I put in 93 octane on this tank and did a log, looks like I'm still seeing the same amount of KR. One thing I did notice this time, I seem to be seeing the KR more on decel than accel. Going to have to get this wrapped up soon, Pop's wanting his truck back.

Lifetime Member

Are your burst knock settings stock?

I heard that burst knock dosent show up in the regular gm kr pid.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast