Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Something wrong with BBL

Lifetime Member

Default Something wrong with BBL

Last night I checked the latest update by scanning/flashing/bbl my truck(E38/T43) That all worked fine. This morning when I got in and started it up there was a SES light on so I checked the DTC's(V2 did this fine also).

There was one for the ECM and one for the TCM. I didn't have anything to write them down with and was in a hurry. I know one of them was P0700 and the other was something strange like UC0730(may not be right). I cleared them which the V2 did fine again.

Before I backed out of the driveway I started recording data and everything looked fine. The drive to work was 44 minutes and when I got there the timer was still counting but, the data was frozen. When I tried to exit logging, the V2 never saved any data in the file. The file was there on the SD card but, it was only 2KB in length which I'm guessing is just from stuff in the file that EFILive uses. No actual data was logged. :(

When I used the BBL last night I just tested it for about a minute and it saved the file fine. I'm not sure how far into the trip today the V2 got messed up since there was no data or time log to look at.

On Monday I will try to log again on the way to work and keep an eye on the unit to see if it messes up again and how long it takes.

Just a heads up on a possible issue.

Lifetime Member

Ok, I tried the BBL again this morning on the way to work. I was using a SD card and once again everything was fine after hitting F1 Record Data. Less than 6 minutes into the trip though the data froze on the screen while the timer was still counting. I unplugged everything and went on my way to work.

This afternoon on the way outta work I changed the file system over to internal memory. Again everything was fine. I saved a short file while everything was still reading just to see if it saved anything. It did and I started another log file right after it. Everything appeared to be going fine and then sometime in the trip the data froze on the screen once again. :( Trying to drive and keep track of this stuff is tough though so I don't know exactly when. lol

I rebooted the V2 and selected my ECM again(while driving) but, when I hit record the data froze on the first frame. I also tried unpluggin the V2 for a bit with the same results.

When I got to the house I turned the truck off, unplugged the V2, waited a bit, and tried again, no dice. Data just freezes on the first frame.

When the data freezes and you exit logging it does not save a file but, if you enter logging again it saves a log file from the previous try. The thing is there is no data in the logs.

It doesn't seem anyone else is having this trouble so maybe it is a platform specific problem?

Does it do this when logging to the internal memory of the V2? If not try to refomat your SD card and try again. If the problem is still there try another SD card. Just my suggestions.

Lifetime Member

Yes, it does it with the SD card and internal memory both. :(

I have another SD card I will try tomorrow.

Lifetime Member

BTW, I also set the low power mode to 200 minutes so that it wouldn't kick in while logging. Wasn't sure what affect it would have so I just "disabled" it.

I tried this on the way home and just so we are clear I'm logging a LLY diesel. I logged a lot of data on the V2 and the data was continuously updating for over 20 minutes. I paused it for a couple minutes and then resumed logging. I then saved the file and started a new one. It seemed to log just fine. I just plugged in the SC card to my computer and at about 3/4 of the way into the file the data just stops and the timer in the bottom of the Scan tool doesn't update the time. It does this on both files I logged. The pause I did shows up in the data log as well as the data it took after I resumed logging up until the counter freezes. Not sure if my issue is related to XLR8NSS's one or not but I thought I'd share since they seem to be similar.

Default Ah Ha!

Mine did the same thing XLR8NSS's is doing this morning. I logged my whole trip to work which is about 40 minutes. I even checked it about 3/4 of the way here and it was still updating the display with data. when I parked at work I was going to rev the engine and stop logging to see if the data I pulled off the unit was a complete log and there was just some formatting issues with the data but my V2 data was frozen like XLR8NSS has stated. I hit the pause key and the screen went back to the screen to start logging data and the data screen disappeared. Also I could not start logging data again.

Lifetime Member

Well, that is great and sucks all at the same time.

Ok, this morning instead of BBL again I lugged the laptop out to try some pass through logging.

I had no issues this morning except for the amount of frames exceeded the set limit under the logging tab in the scan tool. I got about 20 minutes of my 40+ minutes drive logged with no problems.

NOW, on the way home I was going to log again in pass through mode but, when I would hit the button to start recording data on the dashboard page the PIDS would show some bogus(IAT -40, ECT -40, etc) data and lock up. It was just like the V2 in that it would capture one frame of data and lock up. I could not get it to log again even restarting the software, unplugging everything, turning off the truck, etc. It would only capture one frame of bogus data and lock up. The only difference was I was trying to log some DMA spark pids(for E38) that I didn't have selected in the morning.

These are some strange issues.

Paul - Is there anyway to run a log in the backround, while scanning, of what is going on internally to the software/hardware? I don't know of any other way to report this except by just explaining what is going on.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

It certainly sounds like a bug in the FlashScan firmware. I will implement some sort of trace feature inside FlashScan that can track what is happening and hopefully detect the cause of the problem.

I have been adding tracing to the EFILive_Explorer program to help resolve,some drag-drop problems. I have also been adding extra tracing oiptions to the tuning tool software to try and find some Duramax reflashing issues.

I guess its just my week for adding tracing options. Hopefully I will have a trace version ready to track down the problem in a day or two. Definitely before the weekend.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

One thing to note, if the filesystem (internal flash or SD Card) fills up while data logging the file will be saved but all data will be lost. Unfortunately that's just the way the FAT file system works.

FlashScan will warn if the target file system is more than 95% full prior to starting a log file.

However, I presume your SD cards anr not filling up. It would take a lot of logging to fill an SD card.

P.S. I have already made several changes to the way data is captured and logged. Specifically the interleaving of receiving OBDII data and writing the data to the log file has been rewritten to make more efficient use of the time between data frame reception. That change may actually be the solution.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast