Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BBL - Take Two

Default BBL - Take Two

Got my second shot at BBL Beta... It's come a long way in a short time I managed to get 7 logs and a DTC dump. This was purely a BBL test and no pass-thru attempts.

BBL FW:
    FW: 12

Anomalies
    Firmware Update:

1. None

BBL:

1. I don't recall if this feature is supposed to be available yet, but I attempted to clear the DTC's (P0102, P0103, & a Bxxxx [can't remember the number]) and I get a $0311.

EE:

1. While attempting to move my logs via EE, I opted to use Windoze Explorer to create a new folder: default\V7\Logged data\BBL Beta. EE's tree browser did not pick up the new folder, but the content browser did. Tried double clicking the folder in the content browser and the tree browser refused to acknowledge the existence of the new folder. Must close and respawn EE to get the new folder acknowledgement.

2. I thought I remembered reading that EE would now remember the last folder accessed upon respawning. No worky.

3. Something falls asleep... I let V2 and my laptop sit idle for about 30 minutes (no screen savers or low-power modes) while EE was viewing "Scan Files". I clicked "Tune Files", "Refresh (F5)" and got an $0101. I immediately clicked refresh again and got nothing (as anticipated).

4. F5 to refresh scan, tune, config, & firmware does not work

Suggestions

Firmware:

1. Updating the firmware tends to reset the splash screen and configured settings. Not sure if it's possible, but it would be nice for V2 to retain user-defined settings when new firmware is applied. Perhaps suck them out [UD settings] , apply new firmware, and then restore the settings.

Edit: Does not seem to be a problem with FW14... Thanks Paul

BBL:

1. Setting the PIN (F4-F3-F4) - I would have anticipated this option to appear under settings.

2. When starting a log, if no vehicle or PID's are selected, automagically navigate to the vehicle selection menu, then start logging
    When attempting to write to an SD card that is not properly formatted (NTFS as opposed to one of the FATs), prompt user "SD card not formatted, do you wish to format?" then "Are you sure you're sure?"

3. At the moment, I'm not sure what could possibly be done about an accurate or meaningful file attribute time stamp, but it would be nice to have.

4. When the choice of PID's to be logged is available, the ability to choose which will be viewable.

EE:

1. When viewing V2 scan files, and assuming tune files will work similarly, an option should exist for you to select internal or SD memory. It should also have an intuitive indication that you are looking at SD or internal memory.

2. I'm thinking EE could use a connectivity window and message zone. See the first attachment. Hopefully the end product could look a lot better than my photochop

Honorable Mention

Firmware:

1. I like it a lot better than pre-BBL beta testing. The procedure is much more intuitive.

BBL:

1. I like the deletion of the pause option. When I first noticed it missing, it caused me to pause and recollect of a time that I ever needed to pause a pass thru log. Never done it.

2. Audibles kick ass. I chose to use the default TPS audible as my test, cranked up the box to about 103db, and WOT [straight pipes mind you], I could hear that TPS = 100%.

EE & Hapi:

1. I really like the autodetect in this release.

2. Diggin the status bar on EE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EESuggestion.PNG 
Views:	274 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	2509  

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TAQuickness
    Got my second shot at BBL Beta... It's come a long way in a short time I managed to get 7 logs and a DTC dump. This was purely a BBL test and no pass-thru attempts.
    Thanks for taking the time to document your testing - makes my job a lot less stressful

1. I don't recall if this feature is supposed to be available yet, but I attempted to clear the DTC's (P0102, P0103, & a Bxxxx [can't remember the number]) and I get a $0311.
    Whenever you see a $03xx error it is an error being returned from the vehicle's controller. In that case, can you please generate a trace file and send it to me. You can generate a trace file using the Scan Tool->Options->Trace menu option.

1. While attempting to move my logs via EE, I opted to use Windoze Explorer to create a new folder: default\V7\Logged data\BBL Beta. EE's tree browser did not pick up the new folder, but the content browser did. Tried double clicking the folder in the content browser and the tree browser refused to acknowledge the existence of the new folder. Must close and respawn EE to get the new folder acknowledgement.
    Fixed now

2. I thought I remembered reading that EE would now remember the last folder accessed upon respawning. No worky.
    Works fine here, what steps does it require to reproduce the problem?
    Note: the last used forlder is stored in EFILive_Explorer.ini in the same folder as the exe.

3. Something falls asleep... I let V2 and my laptop sit idle for about 30 minutes (no screen savers or low-power modes) while EE was viewing "Scan Files". I clicked "Tune Files", "Refresh (F5)" and got an $0101. I immediately clicked refresh again and got nothing (as anticipated).
    This one is still a mystery - any info you can add would help.

4. F5 to refresh scan, tune, config, & firmware does not work
    Works fine here, what steps does it require to reproduce the problem? Or do you mean the refresh button works ok, just not the F5 hotkey?

1. Setting the PIN (F4-F3-F4) - I would have anticipated this option to appear under settings.
    Good call, I have changed it to be under Settings.

2. When starting a log, if no vehicle or PID's are selected, automagically navigate to the vehicle selection menu, then start logging
    I'm still thinking about the best way to handle it. I would like to have the most recently used vehicle be pre-selected when FlashScan starts. That would eliminate not having a vehicle selected. Unless the *.pmm or Options.ini files are not set up correctly - but then the "problem" is on a whole different level.

When attempting to write to an SD card that is not properly formatted (NTFS as opposed to one of the FATs), prompt user "SD card not formatted, do you wish to format?" then "Are you sure you're sure?"
    If the FAT file system library I was using would return *valid* error numbers to me I would. All I get back is "file not found" - even when the file system is not formatted. If it was just a missing folder, then formatting the file system is overkill. I may need to hack into the FAT library and add more detailed error feedback.

3. At the moment, I'm not sure what could possibly be done about an accurate or meaningful file attribute time stamp, but it would be nice to have.
    This is what I plan to do:
    Whenever EE connects to FlashSCan or AutoCal it will set the date/time from the PC. THere will be an option in EE to save the current date/time to flash memory. So just before you head out to the vehicle, select that option, then when you plug into the vehicle the date/time will be read from flash memory and will only be a minute or two behind the real time. For log file time stamps that should not matter.
    The real solution is to have a battery backed clock (its in the design specs for FlashScan V3).

4. When the choice of PID's to be logged is available, the ability to choose which will be viewable.
    Yes.

1. When viewing V2 scan files, and assuming tune files will work similarly, an option should exist for you to select internal or SD memory. It should also have an intuitive indication that you are looking at SD or internal memory.
    Yes.

2. I'm thinking EE could use a connectivity window and message zone. See the first attachment. Hopefully the end product could look a lot better than my photochop
    Yes, EE will have a lot more info and functionality added.
    Note: a lot of the info you show is available in EFILive_Hapi.

1. I like it a lot better than pre-BBL beta testing. The procedure is much more intuitive.
    With lots of feedback it will slowly get more steamlined and easier to use.

1. I like the deletion of the pause option. When I first noticed it missing, it caused me to pause and recollect of a time that I ever needed to pause a pass thru log. Never done it.
    THe pause option is still there (ok button). But the messages do not display. The left green LED shows whether the log is paused or not. Its useful when sitting at a red traffic light for 3-4 minutes - if you're not interested in logging idle.

2. Audibles kick ass. I chose to use the default TPS audible as my test, cranked up the box to about 103db, and WOT [straight pipes mind you], I could hear that TPS = 100%.
    Should be good for a shift buzzer too

1. I really like the autodetect in this release.
    It was always the goal.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    Thanks for taking the time to document your testing - makes my job a lot less stressful
    Always a pleasure.

Whenever you see a $03xx error it is an error being returned from the vehicle's controller. In that case, can you please generate a trace file and send it to me. You can generate a trace file using the Scan Tool->Options->Trace menu option.
    Will do. Safe to assume then that the clear DTC functionality should be there?

Works fine here, what steps does it require to reproduce the problem?
    Note: the last used forlder is stored in EFILive_Explorer.ini in the same folder as the exe.
    Now that you've stated it should work, it does. I opened/closed EE 3 or 4 times yesterday and each time I had to drill back down to my Live folder...

This one is still a mystery - any info you can add would help.
    Can't too much more. Something between V2 and whats on my laptop screen falls a sleep. The first time I try to refesh the contents of the file system, I get an error. Immediate subsequent attempts work fine.

Works fine here, what steps does it require to reproduce the problem? Or do you mean the refresh button works ok, just not the F5 hotkey?
    Sorry, F5 hotkey was not working for me. I tried placing focus to several different areas of EE and I could not get the hot key to work (clicking the refresh button causes a brief green LED flash on V2)

I'm still thinking about the best way to handle it. I would like to have the most recently used vehicle be pre-selected when FlashScan starts. That would eliminate not having a vehicle selected. Unless the *.pmm or Options.ini files are not set up correctly - but then the "problem" is on a whole different level.
    I would like for it to remember the last used vehicle, but then I thought it might be a problem for tuner shops. If V2 remembers the vehicle, can it scan to make sure the vehicle type is correct, and if not, present the PID/Vehicle selection list?

If the FAT file system library I was using would return *valid* error numbers to me I would. All I get back is "file not found" - even when the file system is not formatted. If it was just a missing folder, then formatting the file system is overkill. I may need to hack into the FAT library and add more detailed error feedback.

This is what I plan to do:
    Whenever EE connects to FlashSCan or AutoCal it will set the date/time from the PC. THere will be an option in EE to save the current date/time to flash memory. So just before you head out to the vehicle, select that option, then when you plug into the vehicle the date/time will be read from flash memory and will only be a minute or two behind the real time. For log file time stamps that should not matter.
    The real solution is to have a battery backed clock (its in the design specs for FlashScan V3).
    Could the user selectable option be to not save the date and time? I can see myself forgetting to check that box already.

Yes, EE will have a lot more info and functionality added.
    Note: a lot of the info you show is available in EFILive_Hapi.
    I did notice that in Hapi. But I'm lazy

With lots of feedback it will slowly get more steamlined and easier to use.

THe pause option is still there (ok button). But the messages do not display. The left green LED shows whether the log is paused or not. Its useful when sitting at a red traffic light for 3-4 minutes - if you're not interested in logging idle.
    Cool. I'll give it a shot.

Should be good for a shift buzzer too

Regards
    Paul

yeah thats exactly what i have set mine up to do. beeps at me 200rpm before rev limit.

Many folks will probably work with one car for a while, so saving the type last used would be a help ... maybe you can store the VIN of the vehicle last scanned, and only require the user to re-enter the type if there's a mismatch, or if reading the VIN fails ...
    Garry Glendown * '17 Fifty 2SS MT * 99 Firehawk Convertible (for sale)

Quote Originally Posted by SV8346
    yeah thats exactly what i have set mine up to do. beeps at me 200rpm before rev limit.
    Nice idea, but I like my EFILife-configured Stock PCM shift light Would be worth trying out the audible version, though ...

unfortunately the holden commodore SV8's dont get the factory shift light.

If it's the regular Gen III LS1 PCM, you can add it, just as I did on my Firehawk All it takes is a line to the unused pin on the PCM, half a dozen 2V LEDs, a resistor, and 12V link ... oh, and a changed entry in the PCM via EFILive

sounds good, where do i find some more info on how to do this.
    2016 RG Colorado 2.8TD

There's two threads that contain just about anything you need ...
    http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3333 and http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4160 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast