Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M6 (Tremec T56) Gear PID?

Default M6 (Tremec T56) Gear PID?

Is there such a thing?

I'm wondering if there is a PID that can be used to tell what gear you are (or were) in on a Tremec T56 M6 transmission.

Thanks,
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

{GM.BOXRATIO} is the PCM's attempt to calculate the current gear ratio - based on transmission input speed (RPM) and transmission output speed (VSS). Obviously it won't be accurate when the clutch is pressed or the gearbox is in neutral.
    And I've never tried reverse - interesting, I wonder what it would display.
    I guess it would just display the reverse gear ratio - since the VSS pickup wouldn't know which way the drive shaft is spinning.

Regards
    Paul

Thanks Paul... I included this PID in my most recent outing, and the value remains at 0 (never moves).

I am running custom OS # 01290001.

I also notice that both the GM.RUELREM PID stays at zero also. Is this only for specific vehicles/OS's, or should it hold valid data?

Cheers,
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

The Gear Ratio PID appears to be grabbed from a different area to say, where the gear ratio is used in the RPM limiters. It may very well be that the Gear Ratio PID is only valid for an Auto.
    Having said that, there is no problem adding a DMA PID to report the gear ratio, but it seems a waste of 2 channels just to report the gear ratio.

As for Fuel Remaining, that will not come up on all vehicles, it's only valid if the fuel tank sender goes via the PCM, which on Holdens upto VYII it did not.

Cheers,
    Ross

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

I could have sworn I logged the box ratio on my M6 and it logged correctly.
    I will try it again when I eventually get it back.

Paul

Your right Ross, two channels does seem a little expensive for this feature. Was just interested to know if it was possible. It would have made it easy to see what gear you were in at a given point. I'll just have to match up rpm vs. speed, no problem.

How do the Holden's with the 3 panel LCD dash work out how much fuel is remaining etc? I thought that would have come through some of these PIDS?

Cheers,
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    I could have sworn I logged the box ratio on my M6 and it logged correctly.
    I will try it again when I eventually get it back.

Paul
    It may have Paul, I was looking at VX 12225074 code.

Cheers,
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne
    How do the Holden's with the 3 panel LCD dash work out how much fuel is remaining etc? I thought that would have come through some of these PIDS?
    The PCM sends out an instantaneous fuel usage message to the dash, the dash also monitors the fuel level, that's how that works.

Here's a thing, don't believe your distance to go, I did one day, I had 40kms to empty, and a 4km walk to a servo :cry:
    Now, I ONLY watch the fuel used indicator, that seems spot on, though with fuel at $1.20 per liter it's also a bit depressing. I think one of those Toyota Electric cars might make a really good daily driver soon. Save the LS1 for weekend fun only.

Cheers,
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    Here's a thing, don't believe your distance to go, I did one day, I had 40kms to empty, and a 4km walk to a servo :cry:
    Now, I ONLY watch the fuel used indicator, that seems spot on, though with fuel at $1.20 per liter it's also a bit depressing. I think one of those Toyota Electric cars might make a really good daily driver soon. Save the LS1 for weekend fun only.
    Had a similar thing. I had made some changes to the car, ad had been doing mostly open road driving. Then I was confined to the city for a while, the car said it had 14kms to go... I was lucky, I thought I had better stop for gas on the way home and it cut out as I pulled up to the fuel pump .

Where does your "fuel used indicator" come from, is that on the dash? I only have the single LCD window in my car.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Tordne
    Where does your "fuel used indicator" come from, is that on the dash? I only have the single LCD window in my car.

Cheers,
    I have a 3 LCD cluster, it's only on them.

Cheers,
    Ross

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast