Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tuning for mpg

Default tuning for mpg

i was wondering if i could get some pointers to tune my wifes 2003 trailblazer for a little better mileage please.

i just finished tuning a friends LBZ and there was some nice info on the diesel pages ie; change this value to that, that value to this etc.
    after doing some searching for this engine all i could find was alot of vague references to "play with this", or "adjust that" & not really anything concrete

right now its stock except for a K&N filter, but i would like to delete the cat and put in a free flowing muffler. we run 87 all the time and cant see myself paying more for 91.

ive attached the stock tune file. any tips are appreciated, thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lifetime Member

Hey man, Ill look and see if I can tweak your tune a little, Im still playing heavily with the engine section on my 02 but have the trans shifting how I want. Do you want me to mess with the trans for ya?

Id be happy to help you and get you the spark and VE tables Im using, however I dont really care about mileage and have them setup for max performance. Still get 21mpg on the hwy at 75 though, 24-24.5 @ 65.
    Last edited by ScarabEpic22; December 21st, 2007 at 10:21 AM.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

any kind of input, especially field tested settings is great
    mostly looking for some solid values to change that have worked for others.
    i wont get a chance to test drive the TB much, so i dont want to mess with things by trial an error if i dont have to.

so far, i "think" i want to:
    1 change settings so a cat delete wont set a MIL(which ones?)
    2 reduce/eliminate Torque management (from what i can see theres 2 tables i can accomplish this from the engine controls{B2003},{B2004}, then a list of settings on the transmission side{D0801,2,3}, {D2004}, (D1116}?)
    3 do i want to mess with timing when running 87 octane? which table? how much?
    4 transmission abuse mode, mess with it?, what settings?
    5 increase transmission pressures, 10%? 20%? {D0701,2,3}
    6 shorten shift times {D1108,9,10}, change all that are >0 to 0.10?

*mostly for the transmission, i still want it to be civilized and not kick the rear end sideways on every shift since it is my wifes ride, but a little more S.O.T.P. feel when you floor it would be nice.*

7 DFCO, what to set values at for best MPG gain? (just when i think i understand it, i look at what someone else has set theirs at, then im back to square one)
    8 set {B2100} to 1 so EGR never kicks in?
    10 someday play with the cam settings when i know more about it
    11 anything else i probably overlooked?
    Last edited by skneeland; December 21st, 2007 at 06:15 PM.

Lifetime Member

OK man, Im doing some fam stuff today but started fixing your tune last night and will finish it up tonight. Leaving 15% TM in the trans and lowering the shift times, upping the LPs a little, removing the limiters, and then I need to do the spark and VE stuff.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

sweet, thanks for the help.
    ill be away until after the new year, hopefully i can get back at it on the 2nd

here is what i have come up with so far.
    let me know if i missed anything based on my parameters above, or anything that could be improved on.

has:
    -some minor timing mods
    -egr disabled
    -MIL turned off for cat. delete & egr
    -tq management allmost zero
    -DFCO settings changed
    -5% increase to trans. pressures
    -shortened shift times

questions should i set {D1997} to zero so that tq managment never kicks in?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I disable my a/c around 2700-3000 but it is very flat in florida...gives nice accel boost
    2003 TB EXT I-6 210,000 miles... Volant CAI.. NO CAT with magnaflow ..efans ...pcmforless tune and hotchkiss swaybar and air bags in back springs...new alt, pwr steering pump and water pump at 200,000 shooting for 300K or more

I do similar on my 94 LT1, I disable AC with more than 50% throttle applied..... I tried to see if I could do it with around 25% throttle, which was ok in the summer until I got into heavy traffic, then I found I was without AC way too much... right around 50% is a nice amount and hardly ever noticable, and my wife never complained one bit...

Quote Originally Posted by skneeland View Post
    here is what i have come up with so far.
    let me know if i missed anything based on my parameters above, or anything that could be improved on.

has:
    -some minor timing mods
    -egr disabled
    -MIL turned off for cat. delete & egr
    -tq management allmost zero
    -DFCO settings changed
    -5% increase to trans. pressures
    -shortened shift times

questions should i set {D1997} to zero so that tq managment never kicks in?
    Would this file work for a 02 trailblazer?

Lifetime Member

It will be an OK starting point, I know my tune has been completely rewritten from the ground up since Dec. 07. Maybe 2x, I wasnt happy with the smoothness of it so I went back to scratch and started over.

Post your stock tune up, Ill make a few changes like I did above that will give you a good starting point.
    ~Erik~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast