Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1998 corvette with 402 stroker, help tuning

Unhappy 1998 corvette with 402 stroker, help tuning

Does anybody have any tunes for a 1998 corvette i built a 402 stroker, with stage 3 patriot racing heads, extreme comp cam, 1.75 roller rockers, 90mm fast intake, 90mm etc tb, pacesetter headers, 42# injectors, msd coils, ls7 4" stroke crank, lunati pistons, 6.0 cast iron block. Can i upgrade my os. Ive tried to upgrade the os but it won't let me do it cause it gives me a boot strap error and says it can't unlock the pcm cause i don't have the right os. Please any advise i would appreciate it. Thanks Adam Calley 336-225-7932

Welcome to the forum Adam

The EFILive tune repository can be found at www.holdencrazy.com.

In regards to the OS upgrade... Unfortunately, the 97/98 LS1 PCM's are the odd-ball out and consequently, there's not much available along the lines of OS upgrades.

Other than that, you can get started tuning by checking out the tutorials found in the help menu's of both the scan and tune tool.

Welcome to the forum Adam. It sounds like you have an interesting project there. You are going to find out that the way the 97/98 pcm controls fueling is less than an optimal way of doing things. You've come this far with building the motor...I might suggest one more step, swap the pcm. For the Vette, it is a 160 pin swap right at the pcm connectors- the serial data line is already pumped into the cluster, unlike the fbody.

Here is a pictorial of what you need to do....

http://www.efialchemy.com/db/02to97pcm/02to97PCM.html

2000 Silverado Full Size 4x4: Forged 6.2, H/C F1R Procharger
    98A4 Z28: 02 PCM H/C Forged 347, 9" Moser 3.73
    V1 V2 99+up RR COS #5 OLSD Dual Stg N20
    www.efialchemy.com
    www.greatamericancarwar.com

Default wire locations

Ok i read the process on switching the wires around but how do i know what wires go in what spots. and can i still use the same connectors or do i have to but the newer ones to plug up to the new pcm. Thanks Adam

The connectors are the same. You will need a jewlers' screwdriver, a label maker and some time and patience.

You can go to your local dealership and request a looksee at their library or you can probably find the Helms sheets online as well.

www.efialchemy.com

ok thank you i reallt appreciate, oh and do you know anything about the culumn locks on those cars, cause i drove the car about a 100 miles yesterday and the next morning i tried to crank it up and it starts and runs but as soon as i put it in gear and hit the throttle it won't go and it tells me to service the column lock and pull key and wait 10 seconds and when i do that i keep getting the service column lock message agian and agian any advise or can i disable it with efi live anyway till i get it fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    Welcome to the forum Adam. It sounds like you have an interesting project there. You are going to find out that the way the 97/98 pcm controls fueling is less than an optimal way of doing things. You've come this far with building the motor...I might suggest one more step, swap the pcm. For the Vette, it is a 160 pin swap right at the pcm connectors- the serial data line is already pumped into the cluster, unlike the fbody.

Here is a pictorial of what you need to do....

http://www.efialchemy.com/db/02to97pcm/02to97PCM.html

Welcome to the forum! Doc is right. It would be the best mod you could have done to a project like that. So much more capability to tune with the later PCM.

Howard

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

Default 98 tuning

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!! It sounds like thats what im gonna have to do to make this thing work right. 160 wire swap that can't be that bad, i work on outboard motors for a living, electrical work is my special on etecs and yamaha's im sure i can handle it. Thanks agian!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Calley
    ok thank you i reallt appreciate, oh and do you know anything about the culumn locks on those cars, cause i drove the car about a 100 miles yesterday and the next morning i tried to crank it up and it starts and runs but as soon as i put it in gear and hit the throttle it won't go and it tells me to service the column lock and pull key and wait 10 seconds and when i do that i keep getting the service column lock message agian and agian any advise or can i disable it with efi live anyway till i get it fixed?
    In the tune, under "system" > "theft" > "G0801" Anti-theft column lock option.

www.efialchemy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Calley

Theres a service bulletin for this, you can take it to teh dealer and they will "fix" it for free

Only other thing you can really do is buy the column lock bypass from a corvette store, runs about 50 bucks
    WWW.EFIAlchemy.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast