Thread: "Launch box" w/ COS?

Default "Launch box" w/ COS?

I was wondering if something like this would be a worth-while project ...

In order to improve launching to be more consistent, I had the idea of using the COS' valet-mode. Set the valet-mode RPM limiter to a certain value. Add to that a little circuit that, when primed, enables the valet mode. Once the clutch is released, the circuit waits for a configurable amount of time to let the car get enough traction before disabling valet mode and thus allowing the full throttle response ...

Now, building the circuit is a $10 expense and an hour of soldering ... question is whether this idea is feasible ... and if so, where do I get a switch or sensor to hook up somehow with the clutch pedal ... using a manually operated switch would make the whole thing to complicated ...

Comments anybody?
    Garry Glendown * '17 Fifty 2SS MT * 99 Firehawk Convertible (for sale)

With valet mode being a hard limiter I wouldnt like to be hitting it all the time.
    I remember Oztrack was using burst knock as a sort of torque limiter for launching but I dont know how succesful it was.

Well, it would be used exclusively for - say - 2-3 seconds at a time while preparing to launch at the tree ... wait for both staged, first yellow, punch the throttle, wait another half a second, release the clutch ... something like that ... should work, or?
    Garry Glendown * '17 Fifty 2SS MT * 99 Firehawk Convertible (for sale)

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garry
    Well, it would be used exclusively for - say - 2-3 seconds at a time while preparing to launch at the tree ... wait for both staged, first yellow, punch the throttle, wait another half a second, release the clutch ... something like that ... should work, or?
    You could use the nitrous input to take timing out on the launch for a set amount of time , the valet mode is too severe for a launch as it custs fuel , not a nice thing for any engine

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Delco
    You could use the nitrous input to take timing out on the launch for a set amount of time , the valet mode is too severe for a launch as it custs fuel , not a nice thing for any engine
    Well... I'd say.. .GO FOR IT.... I mean... Racelogic does traction control JUST like this... and they did it for the first time on a very powerful supra. I am doing this in my camaro... So... why not?
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander
    Well... I'd say.. .GO FOR IT.... I mean... Racelogic does traction control JUST like this... and they did it for the first time on a very powerful supra. I am doing this in my camaro... So... why not?
    Racelogic is a soft limiter , cuts one cylinder at a time for only one cycle and rotates it around the engine.

the std PCM cut is very severe and harmful

Lifetime Member

Well I stand corrected... I thought this was the way GM does it.
    Can't this be changed for it to be an ETC limiter?
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."