Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: After Header Modifications? And O2 Question

Default After Header Modifications? And O2 Question

Just got headers installed on my beast. Havent scanned it yet, but I was wondering what should I see/expect?

Anyone able to adjust more timing into the motor, or have to pull some away?

Also, is Bank2 o2, is that to be on the side with even cylinders? I think I may have my sensors wired backwards
    11 Silverado
    08 Sierra
    91 RS with 350 TPI and 411 ECM

Lifetime Member

Im about to get some headers too on my 5.3.

Im still trying to figure out what I need to do becuase I wont have a wideband.

All Ive heard is that LT headers usally show a 5-8% increase in the midrange and not much up top. And they make the 4200-5500 knock range knock a lot more. Im going to take my timing almost down to stock levels and increase my VE table a little before I put them on and see what happends.

Lifetime Member

I just installed some Hooker headers LTs and custom Mandrel exhaust (PICS)on my 4.8. I started over from scratch (Stock VE) and blended my Optimum Timing table to the High Octance table. I added 15% to the VE table and 40% to the ETC as described in the tutorial. Did a logg and this is what it looked like.

Next I applied the BEN correction @ 75%, then I set the ETC back to stock and relogged and this is what it looked like.

So it does have some effect on the knock system. Guess I will just have to throw what I have out the door and start on it again.

Thanks for info!
    11 Silverado
    08 Sierra

Lifetime Member

I got very little knock in a few cells, it was like < .05..

Lifetime Member

Im also running a blend of my high octane table.
    How do you like it.

Im starting to think ill take my timing down to almost stock levels in the lower g/cyl range. The more timing dosent seem to help part thorttle.

I think gm would have put about the best timing in too it at light throttle since theres not that much chance of detonation.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by cmitchell17
    Im also running a blend of my high octane table.
    How do you like it.

Im starting to think ill take my timing down to almost stock levels in the lower g/cyl range. The more timing dosent seem to help part thorttle.

I think gm would have put about the best timing in too it at light throttle since theres not that much chance of detonation.

i am also thinking of putting mine back to stock and well maybe half of the difference, I still want a little increase. But I am going use B5908 to add my timing for PE.... I am going to the track this weekend to start some timing tuning then off to the dyno for some more tweaking.....

Lifetime Member

Yeah once you blend your timing youll have to figure out what to do with the Fuel mixture spark correction.

I lowered mine to about 0-3 degrees and it looks good.

I set it to add no timing in the 3800-5000 range and then 1 or 2 degrees up from there. So the timing will drop 1-3 degrees at peak torque. I get knock on anything but 93.

With holiday shipping I dont think ill get my headers untill after new years.

Lifetime Member

What kind did you go with? Do you ever go to www.PerformanceTrucks.net if not you might want to check it out!

Well, I drove it around today but still havent scanned it. I was still working on fuel, timing anyway. Was just wondering what I might see.

I have noticed that it doesnt want to idle for crap and when coming to a light it will die. Could it be that my old exhaust system was so restrictive it created back pressure that would keep the motor running? Guessing I will have to now look at the throttle follower settings and adjust them? Or just a new idle refiag?
    11 Silverado
    08 Sierra

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast