Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Throttle Cracker Airflow

Default Throttle Cracker Airflow

I am working on my throttle cracker and I have noticed that most of these have massive quick drops at the lower rpms and speeds. I am thinking in my head that this should be more of a flowing drop correct? Why the sudden drop?

Was wondering if some of you could post screen shots of your modified B4309 charts for me to look at?

Thanks
    11 Silverado
    08 Sierra
    91 RS with 350 TPI and 411 ECM

Lifetime Member

Yeah that stuff is really confusing.

Is there any tutorial or something about this? Like what all happends when you let off the gas and on the brake how does the PCM control idle airflow when your slowing down.

How can you reduce the follower and cracker settings to idle the motor down when it comes to a stop or the throttle is shut closed from being all the way open. Or after revving it make it come down to idel a lot quicker instead of hanging for 2 or 3 seconds?

Here is mine. My setup is in my sig. Throttle cracker is a complex thing to tune sometimes. You need to get not just the airflow right, but the Decay and Decay Delay as well. Not to mention, you need to make sure your Throttle Follower is tuned properly and not adding to any idling or decel problems. I had a stalling problem and it took me over a week to get it right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TCDecayDelay.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	2600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TCDelay.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	2601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TCAirflow.jpg 
Views:	622 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	2602  

2002 WS6, All-Lunati 383 Strok'r @11:1, Cartek Heads, Keith/Ross Racing Custom Cam, Victor Jr., 492whp 457wtq,
    Cartek Clutch, 9" Moser w/4.11's, 35 spline Detroit Locker, QA1's, NX, BMR, Tuned w/ EFILive V2 Black Box Logging
    Check Out My Latest Tune File: HERE

Mitchll, thats what cracker does is adjust the IAC valve for when you quickly let off the throttle. Also for when coming up to a stoplight.

Goldfinger, thanks! Thats what I was thinking it should look like. I have a stall problem. Been on it for about 3 weeks now. "might" have figured it out last night. (btw, nice tummy in the sig!)
    11 Silverado
    08 Sierra

Yeah, I know about working on stall problems. I got my car running great. Except... I would back out of the garage, push in the clutch and wham. It would die. I could slow from a faster speed at a stop light and it wouldnt always die, but just simply backing up.. everytime. I finally got it ironed out. The problem wasn't just the Cracker. The Follower was also causing issues. If you want to see my tune let me know, I am always up for sharing.

Keep us posted how it goes.
    Last edited by Goldfinger911; January 17th, 2008 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks for the offer, but I have a setup that only about 15ppl in the country have. None of them seem to be willing to share info.

I think I have tuned on my desired idle so much when the motor was still "cold" that once its warmed up and truly hot... It requires a different desired airflow. I have tuned myself out of the truely hot acceptable range. But I know once I get it back up to where it needs I will have the "cruise control" affect. So at the same time I am trying to work on that.

Maybe I'm trying to tackle to many problems at once for someone who is new to tuning.
    11 Silverado
    08 Sierra

Got my idle and stalling fixed. Now onto working on the "cruise control" and "jerkys".

Lesson for future searching. Tune your 80/92C idle airs AFTER the motor is well warmed up and has been driven for a few.
    11 Silverado
    08 Sierra

Lifetime Member

Hey Goldfinger, Nice cracker map mate! The factory ones can be way off and usually cause idle hanging issues at intersections or auto pilot problems at lower engine speeds in 5th or 6th gear!
    DALE: The idle airflow map DOES need to be right first before doing anything else as you have found out
    Think of the throttle cracker as no more than " the amount of air that the IAC lets through when you take your foot off the loud pedal"
    IE: it controls the amount of engine breaking you get when you throttle off. Too much and you get no engine breaking and idle hanging, not enough and you get thrown foward with engine breaking when you throttle off. Its as simple as that really.
    Simply log TC airflow and follower airflow plus rpm, speed, map and go for a drive. Observe where the TC goes to on the TC map on decel and adjust according to your taste. I test on the road and aim for a steady decel from 70km/hr down to 5km/hr in 4th or 5th gear.
    Hope this helps,

Mike
    "Just a tune > yeah right !!!! "

Thanks bro. I spent a long getting it set right. Both cracker and follower. I hate the stock tune where when you rev it, it seems to hang then come down slowly, but on the other hand I hate stalls. My car revs very quick (it will trip the shift light at 7000 rpm almost instantly) so I wanted it to "rev down" quick too. Sounds better that way with the cutouts open.

Also, I have zero surging while decelerating or driving at slow speeds. Makes it nice while driving through the neighborhood late at night.

If you want to see anything, let me know.

Thanks Alch,
    I'm still tweaking the desired idle table. I'm setting it for a warm motor and screw the cold motor. So much difference I dont know if I can find a happy middle.

Also starting to flow my TC like gold has. I am finding that around 1000-1800 and 40-50mph I have a nice cruise control going on. So that will be my first spot of attack.
    11 Silverado
    08 Sierra

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast