Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs HELP!!

Default Newbie needs HELP!!

I just purchased a used V1 setup with 3 licenses, I also downloaded and installed the latest verion of the software and when I tried to read the calibration and I get a bootloader rejected error message saying the pcm could not be unlocked. A while back I got a mail order tune using HPtuners but I contacted the tuners and they said that they don't lock their pcm's. I just want to make sure that I'm not doing something wrong before I go looking for a new pcm. I installed the software, hooked up the the cables to my truck, the flashscan interface, and to my laptop, opened the tune tool, turned the ignition on, clicked on read calibration data from pcm, selected Gen III LS1 99-08 PCM (I have an 01 Sierra 5.3), clicked check status (status was ok), clicked start and then I get the bootloader rejected error message. Can somone help me figure out whats going on?? THANKS!!

Lifetime Member

Well did the HPTuners guy use a Custom OS? If so EFILive cant read it, and HPTuners cant read EFILive COSs.

Also, when you are in the read window, select "Use Alternate Keys", just for kicks to see if it works.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

I dont have any major mods, nothing internal, no blower, and no nos. From what the tuners told me they should not have had to create a custom operating system for my tune. I will have to try the alternate keys next, thanks for the suggestion.

Ok, that worked, I was able to read the pcm calibrations but then I was trying to figure out how to use a license on this pcm and it asked for an activation code. All I see in the box is a 16 digit registration key, is that it?? Also when I closed that window, I lost everything and none of the icons in the toolbar to read or program the pcm are lit up anymore. I tried closing everything and starting over but nothing changed, I even tried restarting my laptop, what happened???

I pm'd Tech Support.

I found the tutorials sticky and am in my truck right now to try it again, I hooked everything up and everything is back to normal but when I try to read the pcm it starts to read but stops before it can finish. I have retried it 3 or 4 times and it keeps stopping. It did the same thing to me the first time I read it but on the 2nd or 3rd try it finished with no problem. Now it is doing the same thing as before, nothing is lit up on the toolbar. Is there a limit to the # of times you can attemt to read the pcm without success then it times you out or something??

Lifetime Member

Interesting, there shouldnt be a limit like that. Just have to wait 15sec between reads to let the PCM go back to a state where it can accept the bootloader.

Have you entered your license information correctly under Help->Register EFILive? You probably cant read anything (and I know you cant tune anything) without that being correct.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

From what I understand, you don't have to register a license just to read. It worked the first time I tried with the "alt keys" selected but for some reason I can't get it to work again. It will open and start reading and then stop before it could finish reading, almost as if its locking up. I will try again tommorrow. Thanks for the help!

Lifetime Member

I think you do need to register the software to read... but then again Ive never tried it with the software not registered. You can look and modify tune files without it being registered, but i dont think you can do anything with the hardware unless its registered.

As for the interrupt, do you have anything aftermarket like a stereo?
    ~Erik~

Like I said, it worked the first time I tried without being registered but I did'nt know how to save so I have to do it again. I do have an aftermarket stereo system, I will turn it off and then try again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast