Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ls1/ls2/ls7 & E85

Default Ls1/ls2/ls7 & E85

Do any veichles come with the LS1, LS2 or LS7 engines equipped with the FlexFuel package for E85? If so, what would the logistics be for swapping one into a 98+ F-body? Eventually, I'd like to get a 98+ Firebird, and would like to make it capable of running on E85, ideally using stock components (ECM/TCM, Fuel system & sensors) to allow straight E85, straight gasoline (well, 10% Ethenol), or any mix of the two.

On the subject of the 5.7L LS1/6.0L LS2, How do they compare in size physically and power output to the Ford 4.6 SOHC? Long ago, I had thought about dropping a Northstar V8 into my 95 Cougar, but ended up going with the newer 4.6L with the PI heads which woke it up nice. I'd guess it's got 230-250 at the crank. If I wanted to put a 5.7 or 6.0 in, what would be my biggest hurtle? All of the computer systems (air bag, variable steering assist, Cluster {which is super simple; no computer at all}) are independant as near as I can tell. Obviously I'd need complete harnesses, engine, transmission, PCM or ECM & TCM (LS1 or E40 & T42 I'd guess), custom driveshaft... Just thinking out loud here... I like my Cougar and have no desire to get rid of it, but would like to be able to tune it and have more power out of it.

Ok, no one wants to touch the "LSx in a Ford" question ... How hard would it be to shoehorn an LS2 that has the DoD hardware and is set up for E85 into an F-body (98+ Firebird, I'm thinking)? Any edumucated guesses what kind of mileage a DoD LS2 could get in a firebird, and I'm assuming the LS2's come @ 400HP?

On the note of shoehorning an LS2 into a 98+ F-body, would there be any (other) major chellenges to do so in a car that had a v6? Obviously, I'd need all the underhood harnesses. Will the LS2 ECM/TCM work without a BCM?
    Last edited by Cougar281; February 5th, 2008 at 02:43 PM.

Lifetime Member

LS2s dont have DOD... The LS2s are around 400hp (flywheel), but they vary slightly with intake options (the SSR and TB SS are slightly lower because the truck intake makes more low end tq and looses hp up top). Have no idea as far as mileage goes though, but Im pretty positive all F-bodies have the same engine bay so swapping a V6 for an LSx wouldnt be that big of an issue. I think the LS2 ECM/TCM should work standalone, might have to change some tuning things but I dont think they need a BCM to work.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

In doing some reading, it APPEARS that newer 6.0's CAN have DoD. It's there in the tunes, just turned off. I wonder if it would be possible to "graft" the DoD parts from a 5.3L (that uses an E40 ECM) onto an LS2? I think I'll have to do some research to see if I can find just what the DoD hardware consists of. For the time being, I'd be pretty happy with a "stock" LS2 @ ~400HP. At the moment it's a bit of a "pipe dream", but with some time and a bit of money, it could become reality, so I'd like to learn as much as possible regarding the swap before hand.

Lifetime Member

Hmm, well AFAIK no LS2s have come from GM with DOD, in all the LS2 tunes Ive seen the DOD section is disabled (they use the same ECM as the 5.3s so the OSs are the same). Would be interesting to graft the parts though, 400hp on tap and cruise with DOD on...
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22
    400hp on tap and cruise with DOD on...
    That's kinda my thouht... IF it can be done. I'm definatley curious what kind of mileage a Firebird with the 6L & DoD would get.

The LS1/LS2/LS6/LS7 have a lower profile than the 4.6L SOHC (and DOHC for that matter) since the cam is down inside the block (look at the hood profile of C5/C6 Corvettes).

Given a lower profile, any motor can be made to fit, and I image your 95 Cougar has plenty of room in the engine bay.

I would be interesting to see the MPG on a Firebird with 6L/DoD.

Jay Leno has the only KNOWN capable E85 capable LS7.

Should be easier to convert an engine running the E38 ECM to E85, with the ECM doing the smarts on calculating the mixture of E85 without a specific sensor (like the older systems used).

Cougar281, if it were me, I'd save some extra $$ and get the 6.2L (L92) or the 6.0L (L76), but then it's a toss up between VVT and DOD (or AFM as they call it now), I've seen Schrams selling them as complete low mileage pulls for about $6,000 with a 6spd auto attached.
    I don't think any of the vehicles using them are setup for E85, but, the ECM can of course do it, so it's possible.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by ls197gmc
    Jay Leno has the only KNOWN capable E85 capable LS7.
    If anyone wants to convert one we'll work with them on it, then they'd be as famous as Jay Leno

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast