Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lean cruise on an 03 Workhorse motorhome

Default Lean cruise on an 03 Workhorse motorhome

Can someone please guide me through setting up the lean cruise on my 8.1L motorhome? You can assume I know nothing, so spoon feed me. I wanted to do the AutoVE procedure, but the pcm does not contain the proper PID's. GM.AFR for one. So my only way to get additional mileage is the lean cruise. If I cannot get this to work, this license is worthless. Thanks for any help.
    John
    1998 Trans Am, A4,3.73, SLP ported 98 heads,Lid, Free mods, LCA's, Panhard bar, adjustable torque arm, sfc's 3200 Vigilante converter, BFG DR's, tuned with EFILive.
    12.53@107.78 1.71 60'
    2002 GMC Envoy totatlly stock
    2003 Workhorse 8.1L

Nobody??????????? Come on someone has to know how to do this. Help a guy out. Thanks.
    1998 Trans Am, A4,3.73, SLP ported 98 heads,Lid, Free mods, LCA's, Panhard bar, adjustable torque arm, sfc's 3200 Vigilante converter, BFG DR's, tuned with EFILive.
    12.53@107.78 1.71 60'
    2003 Workhorse 8.1L

Which PCM and which OS do you have...?

OK, here is all the info I can get from the info page on the tune tool.
    99+ gen III
    Engine: 8.1L
    O.S.: 12579405
    Transmission: Allison LCT
    OS ID: AR
    BCC: YCTJ

Hope this helps, I really need some help on this one. We are leaving tomorrow to go to Florida from Michigan. A little extra mileage would be great. I have an LM-1 wideband already hooked up and calibrated to EFILive on this motorhome. So I will be able to monitor the A/F ratio. Thanks.
    12.53@107.78 1.71 60'
    2003 Workhorse 8.1L

Sorry, it's not possible, only on Holden platforms.
    Besides, lean cruise is not really ideal for something that will always be under load like your motorhome.
    To get a few more MPG try getting severe on the DFCO (Decel fuel cut off) settings so as soon as you are off the throttle it kicks in.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Actually lean cruise is available in this pcm it just has all the values zeroed out. I dont know enough about what I'm doing to massage the DFCO settings. I dont know if that would save that much because most of the time its going down the highway with the cruise on, in od with the tcc locked. I kind of wanted to know how to set the values in lean cruise because my son has an 04 GTO M6 as a daily driver and he has talked about it. Thanks for any help.
    12.53@107.78 1.71 60'
    2003 Workhorse 8.1L

Quote Originally Posted by 98ls1blackbird
    Actually lean cruise is available in this pcm it just has all the values zeroed out. I dont know enough about what I'm doing to massage the DFCO settings. I dont know if that would save that much because most of the time its going down the highway with the cruise on, in od with the tcc locked. I kind of wanted to know how to set the values in lean cruise because my son has an 04 GTO M6 as a daily driver and he has talked about it. Thanks for any help.
    ok i have just driven 4000+k in last 2 weeks with wideband ect.first half with lean cruise.second half without.difference .5 of a litre per hundred k's..small price to pay for a happy engine..wish i had 8.1 litre's though....

Quote Originally Posted by 98ls1blackbird
    Lean Cruise is in almost all American PCMs but it don't work (thank the EPA for that) , you can put what ever numbers you want there but the PCM will ignore the values .
    Do a search here on the forum and you will come up with a good write up about why it can't be done .
    Lean Cruise , the real story :http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....ht=lean+cruise
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

OK, thanks guys.. I thought it was worth a try.
    12.53@107.78 1.71 60'
    2003 Workhorse 8.1L

For those who have lean cruise on Holden cars/trucks, is there a significant difference in mpg?

In reality, does it REALLY hurt emissions that bad for the gains in mpg?

With this economy, if we can gather some hard core data, we can start to push some of the politicians to lax up on the emissions laws and give the paying taxpayers a break.

Just a warped thought....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast