Thread: Copying Virtual Dashboards

Default Copying Virtual Dashboards

I copied all of my virtual dashboards into the V7.5 folder, but still get the following error.

"Can't load dash file: C:\Documents and Settings\MNO\My Documents\EFILive\V7\VDash\Milt\Milt_A.vdp.
    The system cannot find the file specified. Win32error: 2."

Can't seem to get my old dashboard to open up. Any ideas?

Hmmmm. Maybe a different approach is necessary. Let me ask it another way: has anyone copied their previous custom dashboard into V7.5 successfully? If so, can you tell me how you did it?

Thanks!

Your error message is saying that the _A file is not where we think it should be.

Copy the 4 files and the one folder that have start with the same name...

e.g. my files/folder are:
    2G2FV.vdb
    2G2FV_A.vdp
    2G2FV_B.vdp
    2G2FV_C.vdp
    2G2FV (folder)

Also, in the scantool, go Edit->Properties->Folders and set the VDash folder to My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\VDash.

Got it finally. I just deleted everything and started over. I think it might not have liked the way I copied it the first time. The first time I copied my Vdash folder (which contained the four XXX_A.vdp, XXX_B,vdp, etc., files) into the V7.5 Vdash folder, then copied my individual XXX_A.vdp. XXX_B.vdp, etc., files out of this folder and into the V7.5 folder. It looked exactly the same in Explorer as V7 when done, but didn't work.

This time I copied my Vdash folder and the XXX_A.vpd, XXX_B.vdp, etc. files from Vdash V7 over into the V7.5 Vdash folder at the same time. It worked this way.

I'm not computer literate enough to understand the difference, but the computer didn't like the first way.

Thanks for the help, joecar!

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Given that a re-copy fixed the problem, then this is probably not the cause, but worth mentioning anyway...

Each virtual dash board file (*.vdb) contains the file names of the three virtual dash page files (*.vdp). Sometimes the names of those files may get set as absolute pathnames and may include the V7 folder name. In that case you would need to manually edit the *.vdb file (using notepad) to change the V7 references to V7.5 references.

However, the file naming convention in the *.vdb is to use relative filenames to prevent exaclty that problem.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I think it was me. When I first copied the files over, I copied just the folder containing everything (the folder and the 4 individual .vdp files), then I copied the 4 .vdp files out of this folder and into the Vdash folder, just like the setup appeared in V7. It didn't work.

But when I copied the folder and the .vdp files from V7 to V7.5 at the same time, it worked. The 4.vdb files exist in both my vdash folder and the EFI vdash folder at the same time. I copied my folder alone into V7.5 the first time and then copied the 4 .vdb files out of that same folder (in 7.5) and into the V7.5 vdash folder.

The second time, I copied my folder and the 4 .vdb files from V7 to V7.5 at the same time. It worked.

Just to show you how bored I can get sometimes, I deleted all of my vdash files and folders from 7.5 and did the whole process over again exactly the same. It didn't work again when done like the first attempt. It worked again when I re-did it like the second attempt. It's repeatable.

Must be the way I did it. You are probably correct about the naming, Blacky. It's the only thing that makes sense. It's either that, or I have a computer-specific anomaly.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Just wanted to throw this out there in case it happens to someone else.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

If you temporarily rename the V7 folder to V7_Gone, then run the V7.5 software again, does the V7.5 dash still load correctly?

That will test whether there are any references in the dash setup files that still reference the V7 folder. Those references will fail if the V7 folder has bene renamed to something else.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Not sure. I never re-named the V7 folder, but I bet it would work. Copying my dash folder and the 4 vdb files from V7 to V7.5 at the same time worked quite well.

But copying my dash folder from V7 to V7.5 alone, and then copying the 4 vdb files from that same folder in 7.5 out into the 7.5 Vdash folder doesn't work.

Trust me to pick the wrong way first every time!

Just tried re-naming the V7 folder and everything worked as it should. But it was already working prior to that. I think the only way to test it would be to eliminate my Vdash from 7.5 and start over again trying it your way. I might just try that tomorrow if I have the time.