Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: EFILive wish list for the future

I think keep in mind with these suggestions most of them will never see the light of day in V7 tune/scan, many of these requests or peeve's are known and are addressed for the V8 software development.
    Mr.P, how would the DVT control be handled better? Most of the double check boxes are safeties are imposed by the way the ECM processes the DVT's, in other words, you have to tick box A to enable box B or the ECM will refuse your request.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

As long as they're on the cards somewhere, I'm happy

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Seems like a calculated PID editor is popular, see screen shot for what it will be like.
    Note: The V8 software is still under development and won't be released for some time yet.

Regards
    Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	calc_pids_in_v8.PNG 
Views:	209 
Size:	249.4 KB 
ID:	10549  
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Seems like a calculated PID editor is popular, see screen shot for what it will be like.
    Note: The V8 software is still under development and won't be released for some time yet.

Regards
    Paul
    mmm thats hot. I hope the ability to add PIDs based on their offset will still be available in V8

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I think keep in mind with these suggestions most of them will never see the light of day in V7 tune/scan, many of these requests or peeve's are known and are addressed for the V8 software development.
    Mr.P, how would the DVT control be handled better? Most of the double check boxes are safeties are imposed by the way the ECM processes the DVT's, in other words, you have to tick box A to enable box B or the ECM will refuse your request.
    No Prob - trust me I totally understand real-world SDLC!

DVT controls - I actually have a lot of ideas, that would best be 'visually' communicated; I will make an effort to set-aside time and draft something in Visio. The CHIEF problem with the V7 DVT GUI is that the controls are waaaaay too far apart from each other - in real-world testing, this means you have to (using a mouse touchpad on a laptop no less!) drag the cursor from one quadrant of the screen all the waaaay over to the opposite corner/quadrant of the screen etc; in real-life use I find I have to do a lot of clicking, dragging, 'mousing', visually scanning the screen to try and locate the next relevant control (click target). I have to make the mouse cursor "cover a lot of screen real estate" to operate controls, and this is not bad unless you are limited to using only a 14" laptop with a touchpad (or worse, the tiny thumb/joystick) and it just adds clumsiness when you are doing it live (under time pressure). Not knocking what is already there, it's functional but this (the DVT GUI) is a difficult design problem, because it is an interface that will be used in real-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Seems like a calculated PID editor is popular, see screen shot for what it will be like...
    YES! Everyone's life will be happier when you don't have end-users screwing with config files lol.

This might seem overkill, but I will mention it -

One of the most popular things guys on this forum do is to share custom PIDs, and PID selections. At the moment with V7, you cannot share a custom PID - in other words, you cannot "email" someone a custom PID that they can double-click on and it just gets "incorporated" into EFILive; that would be a handy-as-hell feature IMO. The bigger thought is - not only to make a software product that allows and individual to tune their own vehicle, but now (in V8?) to make a software product that easily lets persons in the EFILive community to share "bits and pieces"; V7 does allow this already (chart files, etc). So I would also extend this thinking to PIDs in V8, somehow break the PIDs from being defined/captured in a single text file into a folder of tiny text files (one per custom PID) that can easily be published/emailed between users. That way when a contributor like Joecar or WeathermanShawn writes a tutorial, they are not burdened with the formidable job of having to walk a complete n00b through the process of using Notepad to edit the PIDs config file PLUS how to write the metadata description for the PID itself PLUS how to incorporate that PID into the PIDs being monitored... ad nauseum... It would greatly help the community if the person writing the tutorial just said "click HERE and this custom PID will be imported into EFILive!"

Mr. P.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Appreciate your comments, very well said. Both ideas you've described above are very important to the V8 design and development.

The V7 scan tool configuration was never really designed, it just sort of expanded along with each new software update and each new added feature.
    Because V8 is a green fields development project we are able to capture the configuration in such a way that it will be a relatively simple process to share Scan Tool PIDs, dashboards and other configurations.
    The same goes for the config in the Tune Tool.

I know what you mean about the DVT controls being used in real-time and the difficulty of using the mouse while sitting in a vehicle with limited space and limited input options.
    Your ideas on making it easier to use are most welcome...

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910