Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GM knows what we're doing????

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX

On the CVN, a CVN is really just GM's term for a CRC (cyclic redundancy check), if you get past the first paragraph in that link, well done.
    Cheers,
    Ross
    I didn't make it.
    EFI UNIVERSITY
    "Setting the Standard"
    www.efi101.com

Eddysel,

Can you please email me the document, my email address is in my profile.

Thanks,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    ...GM's term for a CRC (cyclic redundancy check), if you get past the first paragraph in that link, well done....
    The first sentence is meaningless, I didn't get to the end of the first sentence...

Lifetime Member

But really though, If you mess with your motor and break it, Should gm really be held responsible for that????

I really dont think so. Ive seen people bring in trucks that where mangled with holes in the sides of the block and obvious over fueling, and expected gm to replace it.... We as a consumer pay for that the next time we buy a new car....... It isnt fair really..

My thing is, If i modify it, and it breaks it is my own deal to fix it.. BUT if a stock part breaks and the car is all stock then by all means, YES GM SHOULD be responsible to make that part correct...

I agree but some dealers are taking it to the extreme like not covering the LB7's faulty injectors and giving you the because you have gauges or some stupid crap like a lift.

Individuals should be responsible for their own self inflicted breakages...
    Dealers should not try to worm out of valid warranty claims...

But, regardless of having said that, NO ONE should ever visit a dealer with a modifed PCM/ECM in their vehicle...
    1. it's asking for trouble,
    2. it's forcing GM to take counter measures,
    3. it's attracting serious attention from the EPA,
    4. the dealer will swap out your module (and now you lost a license), they will send it to HQ for analysis,
    5. your warranty is now void.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar
    4. the dealer will swap out your module (and now you lost a license), they will send it to HQ for analysis,
    That would be stealing, wouldn't it?

Default Re:

No. Resetting / Replacing the unit back to factory specs so it meets emissions is not stealing, implied or otherwise. Let's be serious.

If you mod your vehicle, you should assume responsibility for your actions. If you don't, then what GM is doing is the outcome.

Warranty claims for non-factory damage IS stealing. Just because they are a big company doesn't make it right.
    Last edited by 97K15004WD; March 9th, 2008 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 97K15004WD
    No. Resetting the unit back to factory specs so it meets emissions is not stealing, implied or otherwise. Let's be serious.

If you mod your vehicle, you should assume responsibility for your actions. If you don't, then what GM is doing is the outcome.

Warranty claims for non-factory damage IS stealing. Just because they are a big company doesn't make it right.
    That is not what I meant. it wasn't "resetting" it was "replacing". What I am getting at is: My truck now is giving me a " service trailor brake controller". If I take the truck in to get it fixed under warrenty and the dealer knows I have done something to the truck cuz the dpf and egr are missing. The dealer takes my computer out of my truck and replaces it for no good reason, I would call that stealing. Now if I put a window in the block, I could see them dealer "taking" my computer and sending it to GM.

Default Re:

Modifying and/or Removing any emissions related equipment is a violation of Federal Law for any vehicles originally equipped with it. If your vehicle is only for off-road use then you are okay.

If it's driven on the road, it must meet the emissions standards for the year in which it was produced, no if's, ands, or buts about it.

If you modify your vehicle, you assume full responsibilty for it, fines, penalities and all.

GM will do as they need to get your vehicle back to factory specs in regard to emissions, they have no choice. It's the law, plain and simple.

That's why it is so important to have CARB approval to sell aftermarket products to the residents living in the state of California, or for GM to meet Federal Emissions in all States; It's the law.

Now, this is not fun to say. But the bottom line is, the EPA is a federal agency and the laws are federal, so they must be followed or you will bear the consequences.

In states with emissions testing, the cars driven on the street (that are modified) are increasingly targeted for roadside testing. Fail, and you have a pre-determined amount of time to get it "fixed", and by the way, here's a ticket and fine for your trouble....

What Joe said above is absolutely correct! Never, ever take a modified PCM back to the dealer. You are just asking for trouble....

I believe the "fine" for each emmissions item tampered with is $1500 per item...

e.g. for a gasser: 2 cats removed, 4 O2 sensors removed, AIR removed, EGR removed, headers installed, 1 PCM modified, total = $15,000.

They haven't been strictly enforcing this, but it appears they are ramping up...
    it appears that in the near future they may even offer "rewards" to smog technicians who report instances.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast