Thread: New LPE 403 is alive and well!

Default New LPE 403 is alive and well!

Just a quick note to tell that my new LPE 403 is up and running. I know it's a Gen4, but it's using a Gen3 pcm. Could that be considered a hybrid?

I had a lot of questions going through my mind regarding what I may or may not have to do when I started it for the first time. The 2 biggest were:
    1) What should I do about an initial startup tune? Especially for AFR and timing.
    2) Will I need to do a CASE relearn?

1 was answered by Bruce Melton. Thanks Bruce! Bruce sent me a tune that he used on his 402, I hope I got that right. I used this with a few changes to the VE and timing tables. Mostly, I pulled 4 degrees everywhere just in case things got a little lean and because the gas was 6 months old...

2 was answered by joecar, but I didn't have to worry about it afterall.

I loaded up the tune and started it. It fired right up and I was on the oil pressure and afr immediately. Oil pressure was 51psi and afr was a little unsteady, but not bad, between 14.4 to 15.4 at idle. I had the A.I.R. turned off so it wouldn't skew my afr measurements. It settled quickly to 14.6 to 14.9. It was bouncing between a few cells in the Commanded Fuel while in Open Loop table. I let it come up to operating temp and all was ok. I was very pleased there were no codes.

I shut it off and took it off the jackstands, retorqued the lugnuts and started it again. This time it wouldn't stay lit. I had to keep my foot on it to keep it running. So I shut it off and changed the idle to 1000 rpm, the ETC conversion to 305, and added 2 grams overall to my Desired Air table. This fixed it up well enough that it idled, found idle and would stay running. Then I took it out for it's maiden voyage. LTFT's weren't that far off, AFR stayed within reason and they finally settled in to where the afr was very close. All the while I was putting my foot in it to seal the rings the best I could.

Now that it's mostly broken in, I have about 70 hard miles on it, I have to do a drive cycle and take it for inspection here in NJ. It should pass ok, as long as I can keep it to 2 systems not reporting. They don't put it on the sniffer. Cam is now a 242/242 .610"/.610" 114lsa +2, and it rumbles a bit

Once I get it inspected, then I'm going to do a full AutoVE and see if I can leave it in SD, although it won't rock and roll as much at idle.

To those that helped out with stuff, thanks so much. I hope I can help you out in some way in the future.

Go:LPE 403, VaraRam, Haltech, PowerMax 100mm MAF, Tony Mamo ported FAST90/NW90, 160* stat, Kooks, TI's, DRM cutouts, Ripper, 4:10's, Tex OZ700, QA1's, Tony Mamo ported AFR 205's, 242/242 .610/.610 114LSA+2, Yella Terras, 42lb/hr Green tops, ASP UD pulley, 2 AMW catch cans

Show: Euro tails & mrkrs, Z06 chromes/Pilots, 300Wx2 Bolt w/12" Sub,
    red calipers & black rear letters, Zaino.
    530 RWHP, 479 RWTQ

Arkay, good job thanks for posting we love it when a motor runs

Did you go with a 24x crank, or did you mount an external reluctor...?

Post logs when you get a chance.

Cheers
    Joe

I went with a 24x Callies Dragonslayer. I was able to use all the old sensors this way. Logs will be posted as soon as I have some.
    Future plans as of now. ECS East Coast Supercharging, a local (sort of) tuner has just installed a new DynoPak load cell dyno and Chris, uses EFILive as one of his tools. I think I will take it there and have them do the tune on the dyno with loading. This way I don't have to worry about smokie or running granny off the road. It's rough doing those late night bonzai runs. Plus I've know Chris for a while and he's a great guy to deal with. I'll have some real world dyno numbers to talk about when I'm finished there also.

Go:LPE 403, VaraRam, Haltech, PowerMax 100mm MAF, Tony Mamo ported FAST90/NW90, 160* stat, Kooks, TI's, DRM cutouts, Ripper, 4:10's, Tex OZ700, QA1's, Tony Mamo ported AFR 205's, 242/242 .610/.610 114LSA+2, Yella Terras, 42lb/hr Green tops, ASP UD pulley, 2 AMW catch cans

530 RWHP, 479 RWTQ

Good to hear it lives and breathes. Can't beat the feeling of a DIY gone right?

2000 C5 Coupe, 6M, Callies/Mahle stroked LS7 (441), Blackwing, Halltech, LS3 intake, 90mm Shaner TB, ported L92 heads, FAST 50# inj, not too much cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers , 3" catless mid pipes, Z TIs, track suspension, , 3:90 rear, EFI V2, LM-2, etc.
    PowrMax Performance

100 mm PowrMAF

LM-2 EFILIve package with TAQ -sLM2 V-2 serial cable> Package deals

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Melton
    Good to hear it lives and breathes. Can't beat the feeling of a DIY gone right?
    Absolutely. Especially after I was the one that did in the old motor. Thanks again for that tune.

530 RWHP, 479 RWTQ