Thread: Just put a cam in my car, now it wont idle for nothing! Help

Default Just put a cam in my car, now it wont idle for nothing! Help

ok i just put a 233/239 cam in my car and it wont idle at all..no matter if its hot or cold..and when i come up to a stop sign and try to stop it dies every time..and also when im trying to back up it dies..it is pretty much indrivable..i just picked up efi live and i just want to know what i can do to fix my problem? also at low rpms the car shakes and surges like hell..can this be fixed? please help me cause i cant stand driving the car like this...thanks alot..oh btw my car is a 6 speed and has full bolt ons..including 90mm TB....thanks!
    2002 trans am

Cam in my '04 Vette is simular - 228/232 114 LOA. I am in process of using a WB (Wide Band) O2 sensor and EFILive to tune mine. You have a couple options, as I see it. Take your car to a tuner, pay to have them tune it for you; maybe $400.00 - but, absolutly the easiest option. Or Using EFILive and a WB O2 sensor, tune it yourself. It's not too awfully hard, but the learning curve can be time consuming. This is the best option if you really want to get to know your car. There is alot of help here on this forum. Read all the posts you can about scan/tune, then ask logical questions. Good luck.
    \'04 Z16 Corvette, AFR 205 heads, Comp 228/232 114+4 LSA custom cam, HS Rockers, Kooks 1 7/8\' headers, 3\" X-pipe, stock Ti tail section. \'98 Corvette Pace Car, \'04 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4X4.

If you haven't made any changes yet, work with the IAC tables and idle speed. The cam isn't all that radical, so you should be able to get it to idle, (at 850-900 rpm) maybe not perfectly, but it should be drivable. There is plenty of good information in posts and stickies on this forum. Follow the advice and you should get close.

How does it run besides the idle? I would be interested in knowing some tricks to dial in the 90mm TB. I wouldn't be surprised if the TB is the problem and needs to get the right amount of air by the throttle blade. Anyone that could pass on some info would be appreciated!

www.redline-motorsports.net

1-954-703-5560

2006 ZO6 895/866 with APS TT
    2010 SSRS Camaro HTR-900TT (798/801)
    2011 HTR-850R Camaro
    2012 ZL1 Auto (10.33@135 MPH) Video Here!

Check your iac when warmed up.Your iac will more than likely be high with the throttle body blade set screw open the blade a little at a time and disconnect the tps and disconnect the battery.Wait about ten seconds and rehook up the battery and tps make sure your showing 0% on tps.Opening up the blade and reseting the tps should help alot.

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread. How do you set up a '04 Corvette with ETC? I don't see where it has IAC steps to adjust. Do I use the IAC effective area table?

Thank you, Kevin
    \'04 Z16 Corvette, AFR 205 heads, Comp 228/232 114+4 LSA custom cam, HS Rockers, Kooks 1 7/8\' headers, 3\" X-pipe, stock Ti tail section. \'98 Corvette Pace Car, \'04 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4X4.

Quote Originally Posted by Z16DNA
    Hope I'm not hijacking this thread. How do you set up a '04 Corvette with ETC? I don't see where it has IAC steps to adjust. Do I use the IAC effective area table?

Thank you, Kevin
    Some people do it that way to.I think you just have to add to the whole scale by percentage.I just don't know how much i would Just start a little at a time to see how it acts.

Have you tried/completed the steps listed in Idle Transition Tuning sticky?

Here's the link incase you missed it:
    http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1169

Reading the link and re-reading it (slowly) right now. I'm running Open loop/SD/MAFless so filtering your post, in my mind, to account for my set up. Unfortunately my mind isn't working as fast as I'd like. So reading slowly. Thank you for your help,

Quote Originally Posted by Z16DNA
    Reading the link and re-reading it (slowly) right now. I'm running Open loop/SD/MAFless so filtering your post, in my mind, to account for my set up. Unfortunately my mind isn't working as fast as I'd like. So reading slowly. Thank you for your help,
    One thing I've learned about tuning for sure.... Everything in the PCM is interrelated. Make a change here and it skews data over there.

If you are just getting started, I would save all the work you have and take two steps back.

Flash a stock tune into your PCM and start with the following:

Start with your IFR table. This is the easiest table to get right. If you have stock injectors, make sure your IFR table is stock. If you are running larger injectors, scale the table appropriately for your size injectors. www.ls1tech.com has a bunch of good write ups on this.

Next, tune your idle. In my own experience, tuning idle is a female dog. My cam didn't help make this any easier either. The idle transition tuning sticky is awesome.

Once you are happy with your idle, tune everything else.

my $0.02