Thread: Wish List Item - More control over Electric Fans...

Default Wish List Item - More control over Electric Fans...

I think it would be nice if EFI live could control the fans to turn on at a certain transmission temperature as well as Engine Temperature. What do you guys think?

Why? is your tranmission cooled by the engine cooling system

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jim
    Why? is your tranmission cooled by the engine cooling system
    Most 4x4's like mine have a tranny cooler located in front of the radiator. Although I may have to hook up my transmission to the radiator for extra cooling...

Lifetime Member

Actually only (some) fullsize guys get the external trans cooler, the mid size guys (like me) have the trans cooler integrated into the radiator (absolutely greaaat for cooling). This would be cool to have, that way the trans cooler can get more airflow and cool the trans down.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22
    Actually only (some) fullsize guys get the external trans cooler, the mid size guys (like me) have the trans cooler integrated into the radiator (absolutely greaaat for cooling). This would be cool to have, that way the trans cooler can get more airflow and cool the trans down.
    I have this too. On most chevy pickups and SUV's (fullsize), it will flow through the radiator then to the external cooler, then return back to the transmission. Some argue that this design isn't that great, because if you overheat the engine it could overheat your tranny, and vice versa. Either way, my transmission gets hot before my engine does, and I think it would be nice to have the PCM control that...

I don't think any of the PCM's/OS's have separate outputs/tables for trans fan control...

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrZ71man
    I have this too. On most chevy pickups and SUV's (fullsize), it will flow through the radiator then to the external cooler, then return back to the transmission. Some argue that this design isn't that great, because if you overheat the engine it could overheat your tranny, and vice versa. Either way, my transmission gets hot before my engine does, and I think it would be nice to have the PCM control that...
    Mine used to...then I put an external trans cooler in after the radiator (similar to your setup). Much lower and stable temps, even after a long hard driving session I dont see elevated temps and on the hwy while towing they are much more consistent.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.