Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto Tuning - Step-by-Step

Quote Originally Posted by leres
    Before I started today I upgrade to the June 9th pre-release of V7.2.3.
    That is the version that has the bug. I went through the same thing.

Bill
    2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 RJT
    CAI, Inc. Cold Air Induction;ADM Scoop
    Rx Catch Can;Rx Breather;Roto-Fab Washer Container
    VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
    XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
    Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
    Gorilla Wheel Lock System;
    Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune

Quote Originally Posted by BowlingSS
    Quote Originally Posted by leres
    Before I started today I upgrade to the June 9th pre-release of V7.2.3.
    That is the version that has the bug. I went through the same thing.

Bill
    FWIW - for the time being, I have be copying my data to excel, then manually deleted the cells that have less than a 50 count

What if you go through all this and your trims are still positive in some cells? Should you reduce the cells in the VE table that are + in the trims map?

Bill
    2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 RJT
    CAI, Inc. Cold Air Induction;ADM Scoop
    Rx Catch Can;Rx Breather;Roto-Fab Washer Container
    VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
    XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
    Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
    Gorilla Wheel Lock System;
    Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by BowlingSS
    What if you go through all this and your trims are still positive in some cells? Should you reduce the cells in the VE table that are + in the trims map?

Bill
    Depending the atmospheric conditions you will find you go +/- over time , if its only a small amount dont stress.

Did you do your ben factors with the same AFR's you are currently running , I found if you did it with a flat 13:1 everywhere it was not quite right when going back to 14.63 , also you may find your factory O2's are not dead on the same 14.63 as your wideband I know mine isnt , there is about a 0.5 afr difference - they are old o2's though.

Having a bit of a problem applying this. I copied my original tune and changed all the prescribed parameters and tables as outlined in the step-by-step. Triple checked all the settings to be sure, saved it and uploaded it to the PCM. Removed power from the ignition one minute. Also, I set the PIDs as instructed in the scan tool. I did not unplug the MAF connector since I had read several posts here and on LS1tech on disabling C2901 MAF High Frequency Fail by setting it to 0.

When I started the car (stone cold), it ran very poorly - idle was suddenly low and stumbling, the engine barely running. The PCM was throwing reduced engine power and TC/AH codes and a few others. I shut it off quickly. I uploaded my original tune and the car returned to it's normal smooth operation with no codes whatsoever.

This is on an '02 Corvette M6 with the following mods:

* S2 H/C * VaraRam * FLP Headers * Ti Catback *
    * DTE 4.10 * Harland Sharp * RollMaster * QTP Cutouts *
    * ASP UD Pulley * FMS 30 lb. inj. *

I'm running ver. 7.2.2 with a PLX WB. My original tune was a somewhat questionable tune by the tuner I bought my h/c from along with a local dyno tune. Car runs fine normally although I'm a bit rich at the moment.

Is it possible my MAF was still enabled and conflicting with the open loop changes? I'm trying to avoid modifying my MAF connector just to retain my IAT.

Insights?

Did you start with a stock tune or the tune a tuner did? Chances are, to get yourself going you'll need to find a stock tune and do the whole 60%, 80%, 90% to the VE table to get up and running. If you have different injectors, you'll need to change the IFR table as well. Then follow the directions from the step-by-step. I haven't had to do this yet, but I'm sure someone here can fill you in on which parts to scale.

As SSpdDmon posted, you will need to get your IFR table scaled correctly before starting the SD tuning process. A lot of "pro" tuners manipulate the IFR table to try and get LTFT's in line. This method is a band aid. Before you rescale you injector table, download a stock tune for your year and copy the IFR table to the tune you plan to use. Then scale the stock IFR table to match your new injectors. You can find a lot of info on proper injector scaling on www.ls1tech.com

Being an '02 Vette, I would assume you have a 5 wire MAF (85mm). This poses a unique challenge to unplug the MAF and still have the IAT sensor input. A few post up in this thread is some information that should help with this. Unplugging the MAF is the only 100% sure way to make sure the MAF is not intefering with your tuning.

Having the car run like poop when you first get into OLSD is normal (from my experience). I had one of those "professional" tunes in my car to start with. More than likely you are running pig rich with this initial tune.

One thing that would help is for you to apply the OLSD tune, start the car and let come up to full operating temp, then log about 5 minutes worth of idle. Apply the BEN factor from idling to your tune and reflash. This should help get your idle stable and then you can start working on the rest of the tune.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually still have the stock IFR table intact as my tuner never touched that table. He only did the initial tune which was pretty close considering and the dyno tune got my WOT AFR at 12.8. I did a comparison between my table and a stock 2001 LS1 vette and a stock 2002 Z06. All cells were identical. I was going to scale the IFR table to account for the SVO injectors but they shoved me from very negative to moderately positive so I thought I could tune it the rest of the way without scaling. If I scaled them the full, say, 23% or so, I'm afraid I would go too lean again. Should I?

I installed the SVO 30 lb. injectors a while ago because the Vararam had me running dangerously lean and the IDC was spiking in the 90's at times. That brought my LTFT's into a comfortable mild-rich condition, highest + values 7 and 8. I was thinking of using the OLSD tune to get the VE table set up and then returning to CL with the MAF reconnected and then scaling the MAF. A buddy of mine has done the OLSD process several times using HPT and Excel (PITA w/ ver. 1.7). I guess I should ask him to remind me how I told him to disconnect the MAF temporarily last year. Also, he scaled his IFR table before tuning after he installed a set of 30 lb. SVO's I sold him.

I'll try your suggestions next after doing that.

Lifetime Member

Patches - reply sent to CF pm.

Here's the pm (just as easy to put it here, also)

It doesn't sound like it's falling off the MAF - i.e. it's not going into SD. Are you getting a MIL?
    There is a fail limit value that was "12" with my car. Set it to "1".
    Here's my post to the Autotune EFILive thread:

Quote:
    I would set both the MAF High Freqency Fail 1 {C2901} and the MAF High Freqency Fail Limit {C2902} to "1". This insures that it drops into SD at the 1st failure. FWIW.

Let me know how it goes. Good Luck.

Cheers,
    joel

OK, thanks, Joel, there's one value I did not change - MAF High Freqency Fail Limit {C2902} to "1".

I'm not getting the MIL because of the disabled P0103, P0102 and P0103 DTC MIL Enablers are set to No MIL per the AutoTune instructions posted here.

I take it you left your MAF connector plugged in in OLSD and it was still disabled with the IAT functional???

Thanks.

Ed

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast