Thread: Cat Prorection

Lifetime Member

Default Cat Prorection

Why is fuel enrichment used as cat protection?

Is the protection from overheating? (lean mixture)

Even if cat protection is NOT active during AutoVE to disable fuel enrichment, would for example the PCM switch off power the the NB02 sensor/heaters anyway? This would explain my LC-1's cutting out.

Innovate forum admins view was the LC-1's were loosing power!

Lifetime Member

And the solution to stop them cutting out would be to increase PE AFR setting

Fuel enrichment is used to lower EGTs to which provides some cooling effect to the converter-- in essence the technique is used to drop exhaust gas temperatures below that of the converter's core temperature, which is typically 1,000 to 1,200 degrees F. Typically, when converter overtemp protection is active, commanded AFR is 11.7:1. If your LC-1 is dropping out, my guess is that it's either defective, not calibrated properly or your AFR is way off (outside the range for which the sensor is calibrated). Does the sensor seem to have accurate readings at stoichiometric?
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfe1
    Fuel enrichment is used to lower EGTs to which provides some cooling effect to the converter-- in essence the technique is used to drop exhaust gas temperatures below that of the converter's core temperature, which is typically 1,000 to 1,200 degrees F. Typically, when converter overtemp protection is active, commanded AFR is 11.7:1. If your LC-1 is dropping out, my guess is that it's either defective, not calibrated properly or your AFR is way off (outside the range for which the sensor is calibrated). Does the sensor seem to have accurate readings at stoichiometric?
    I have two one on each bank, and they both do the same, just one goes more often than the other. Very recent free air calibration and my BENS are very close to 1 for stoichmetric. I still suspect they are overheating or that the PCM is cutting the power which was originally for the narrow band heater circuit because of cat protection even thou i have can confirm it is de activated. I think deactivation only prohibits enrichrichment?

Lifetime Member

how did you connect the power and earth up in the end?