Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emergency!

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    Ah I see, you've already upgraded to the BB Logging beta firmware. In that case you need to use the EFILive_Explorer.exe program to reprogram your firmware.
    You will also need to use the firmware that came with the BB Logging beta software instead of the file I mentioned in my previous post.

Regards
    Paul
    Ok thanks..

Next question, why are the firmwares different as far as the file extentions..? EX: .efw / .ffw

With the EFILive_Explorer.exe you cannot load a .ffw firmware file in order to revert back to the previous 2.4.70...?

Thanks-

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bballer182
    problem fixed! looks like the bootblock got upgraded without me knowing it?!?! Damn kids! anyways just loaded the new firmware and it works just fine.
    Hmm, yes there is an option in FlashScan to upgrade the bootblock. Now that you've upgraded I recommend keeping a close eye on this forum to get the beta updates. A new update is due out in the next day or two.
    http://forum.efilive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4DRSS View Post
    Ok thanks..

Next question, why are the firmwares different as far as the file extentions..? EX: .efw / .ffw

With the EFILive_Explorer.exe you cannot load a .ffw firmware file in order to revert back to the previous 2.4.70...?

Thanks-
    Sorry, I missed this question, just saw it again now...

The upgrade from V2.4.x firmware to V2.5.x firmware requires a new boot block in the FlashScan memory. The boot block is the underlying software that controls the FlashScan hardware. Sort of like the BIOS in your PC.

The boot block is not very "smart", it just has a bunch of low level hardware "driver" functions. The firmware invokes boot block functions to manipulate the FlashScan hardware - to reprogram the flash memory, to control the LED's, the keypad and the USB coms etc.

The boot block is not designed to be updated regularly since the underlying hardware will never change. However, we needed to make a change when going from V2.4 to V2.5. The change involved some very low level hardware instructions.

Once the boot block has been upgraded to V2.5 it is no longer compatible with the V2.4 firmware. That means you can ONLY run V2.5 firmware once the boot block has been upgraded to V2.5.

We deliberately chose to not allow downgrading to V2.4 because it would allow too many combinations/permutations of boot block and firmware versions to support effectively.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12