Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo LL8- Need advice!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Turbo LL8- Need advice!

Hi! I'm new here. I am installing an '06 Trailblazer inline 6 in a '66 Nova and adding a turbo to it. I need help with a few things;

Which pcm should I use?(P10, P12,E67...)

Can I disable VATS?( I'm not using the BCM)

Any other issues that I may have overlooked?

I am going to have at least 8-10 psi of boost, no cat, and an electric fan. I don't want to use a stand-alone system if I can help it because of the need to control the transmission, coil on plug, and
    the variable valve timing, plus still use all of the factory sensors.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Ray

Lifetime Member

Hey Ray, well since we currently cannot use the P10 to run an efan, I would recommend either a P12 or E67. Also, the 06-07s use the P12 from GM, 08+s are E67 so I would stick to what it came from the factory with. I think you can disable VATS, pretty much thats it except use a 2Bar MAP sensor and have to pioneer tuning it. And either use a MAF or turn off all the codes for it and run SD. I might be working on a P12 swap for my P10 and then see if I can s/c my I6 in my 02 TB. Havent really looked at it in a while, trying to focus on school then in May Ill hopefully be able to do the swap and get it running. Then move to the s/c.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted on what I decide to do.

Lifetime Member

Please do man!
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

update?

Just got the car painted. I will start the assembly stage of the car in about 2 months. I have not decided on the hp level. I drive a small block twin turbo camaro on a daily basis and i don't think that i will be happy with just 400 hp. For now i am considering an engine teardown for lower compression pistons,etc. I want to run an E67 ecm, just need to figure out the crank and cam sensors. I believe the E67 requires 58X crank signal, if so, i may need a different crankshaft. I hope to have it running in about 7 months. I'll post more when I make some more progress. Any advice or tech help is always appreciated, thanks.

Lifetime Member

08-09 I6s have the 58x crank reluctor, get an 06+ motor too as they were improved in late 05 for the 06 MY. And for a custom build you've got the right idea, you're doing yourself a favor swapping cranks so you can run an E67, tuning them is a piece of cake compared to the P10 (cant do boost) or P12 (can do boost but not as many options as the E67).
    ~Erik~

Not to change the subject , but GM did a twin turbo TB as a SS model , it was a concept model and was considered before or with the SS V8 .
    Don't know what they had as a PCM in it thought , wish someone could snag that tune from GM would be great to have .
    There was someone else that did a vid from overseas that had a single turbo on a 4.2L as well , think they had a problem going into reduced power mode after a few runs .
    Here is a link for a V8 reluctor change may work for the L6 :http://www.goodson.com/technical_sup...ry/PE07_LS.pdf . gives a idea as to what is involved in changing one .
    Last edited by Chevy366; September 29th, 2009 at 12:35 PM.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    Not to change the subject , but GM did a twin turbo TB as a SS model , it was a concept model and was considered before or with the SS V8 .
    Don't know what they had as a PCM in it thought , wish someone could snag that tune from GM would be great to have .
    There was someone else that did a vid from overseas that had a single turbo on a 4.2L as well , think they had a problem going into reduced power mode after a few runs .
    Here is a link for a V8 reluctor change may work for the L6 :http://www.goodson.com/technical_sup...ry/PE07_LS.pdf . gives a idea as to what is involved in changing one .
    Believe me I really wish we could get our hands on that turbo cal. Just to read it out, if its all setup we might be able to get it full flashed in and be good.

Trav0411 on TrailVoy did a turbo on an 04 I6, worked a couple things out for tuning, finally ended up with a voltage clamp on the MAP so the PCM only sees up to 1Bar. Then I think they used a rising rate fuel pressure/pump system to ensure it wouldnt lean out.
    ~Erik~

How did this turn out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast