Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starr Performance LSX Intake

The business went tits up quite a while back now. 2 years
    I believe Peter STARR has the rights as the sole importer of the PD blowers he used in his S/C kits. The kits themselves are still available for purchase thru JHP. (Just Holden Parts.)
    HX Ute.

The after market LS intake market is difficult for many reasons.

In general:
    -shorter runners> more hp, less torque
    -longer runners> more torque, less hp

I am Running a LS3 intake on a 441 (LS7) and think I have maxed it out but am making hp=tq (~560 rw) dyno numbers. Am setting up a GM carb intake on a built LS7 which I expect will gain more hp at higher rpm but loose about the same amount of torque. Not even close to fitting under any stock hood so not really a viable solution. Same for sheet metal intakes.

The clearance under the hood of a C5 and C6 is only about an inch above the stock intake.

The L76 now LS3 intake is pretty good for torque/hp balance, and it fits.

FAST, Weiand, Edelbrock and others have tried to second guess GM design with only limited success IMHO. Let's see real A/B comparison results before we jump on the Starr wagon.
    Last edited by Bruce Melton; March 19th, 2008 at 12:09 AM.

2000 C5 Coupe, 6M, Callies/Mahle stroked LS7 (441), Blackwing, Halltech, LS3 intake, 90mm Shaner TB, ported L92 heads, FAST 50# inj, not too much cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers , 3" catless mid pipes, Z TIs, track suspension, , 3:90 rear, EFI V2, LM-2, etc.
    PowrMax Performance

100 mm PowrMAF

LM-2 EFILIve package with TAQ -sLM2 V-2 serial cable> Package deals

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Melton
    The after market LS intake market is difficult for many reasons.

In general:
    -shorter runners> more hp, less torque
    -longer runners> more torque, less hp
    Someone needs to come up with a variable runner length LSx manifold. Afterall, the E38 / E67 can control such things. Then you have the best of both worlds.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

That would likely take more than just a manifold change; Look at Ford's DOHC 4.6 in the Mark VIII's.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX
    Someone needs to come up with a variable runner length LSx manifold. Afterall, the E38 / E67 can control such things. Then you have the best of both worlds.

Cheers,
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by TAQuickness
    A 92mm turd
    OMG, LOL!!

Default Starr

I don't normally read forums as they take up to much time, but Blacky sent me this one for my comments.
    Firstly to set the record straight. Holley filed for chapter 11 to Re-structure old debt that they were being held to at 12% interest, this was their only way out. You can read all about it as all bankrupsy notices must be published.
    Starr Performance did not go bankrupt! We did however close our doors for a number of reasons including: market changes, huge overheads/ staff/ stock/ etc, direction change and yes public liability!!! About half of our business was race car work (Porsche, Ferrari, Classics), one of our Porsche clients was competing in a rally when he crashed and died, we got called to the Coroners Court to give evidence on our FIA approved roll cage even though it was built to spec and he was racing in a CAMS sanctioned event.
    Now play out that senario on a fat street car that we build for some Kid who speeds... crashes... and dies! Just writing on the invoice "for competition use only" just dosen't cut it, because technically everyones hotted up street car is illegal!!!
    So Starr Perofrmance closed it's doors, sold off all the equipment, stock, etc, paid out all creditors and we set up Starr Products to strictly design, develop and manufacture products.
    We have completed work on the Starr LS series inlet manifold. It would have been released earlier but we re-designed some of the internals to increase the CFM without sacrificing the low down and mid range torque.
    The manifold is still designed for the 2000 to 6200 rpm rev range. We are working on our LS series "Hot Rod" manifold for the 8000 rpm guys and plan to release it at SEMA 08'
    Sorry for the delay but I think the L92 head and large Cube guys will appreciate the CFM. Release date is set for mid May.
    All sales will be through Holley in the US, Crane Technolegies and Starr Products online in Aus. (web site to be up at release date).
    I can be contacted at: peter@starrproducts.com.au if need be.
    Best regards:
    Peter Starr.

Peter,

Thanks for all the information. I'm looking forward to putting your intake on my car.

Hey Peter, so when do you start work on the variable runner length version

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Ross
    We are doing a tunable runner (tune the length to suit your rev range) Truck and Hot Rod manifold for SEMA 08'
    As for a true variable manifold we will have to wait until they invent variable velosity plastic!

Hey Peter,

I didn't mean infinately variable like a musical trumpet
    There is a couple of GM engines that simply switch a 'plate' to vary the runner length, similar to what FORD did here in Australia with the 4.0L 6cyl.

Cheers,
    Ross

P.S - 2 posts on a forum, never thought I'd see the day

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast