Thread: 3/18/08 What do I need to have to be prepared for the new beta release

Default 3/18/08 What do I need to have to be prepared for the new beta release

All, I am doing a track day April 11th. I would like to have the BB Logging working by then so I can log my entire session on the track. I have read all the threads and I'm a little confused. Can someone help me clarify what I will need to be be prepared for the new beta release that is due in the next day or so.

From what I understnad I'll need to make a cable up if I want to use the serial connection for my LC-1. That cable will basically need to go from a headphone jack to the serial plug on the V2. That will require either swapping some pins, or using a null modem adapter.

To log for extended periods of time, 4 or 5 twenty minute sessions I assume I'll need to log to an SD memory card. Is there a limit to the size of the SD card I can use? What size will I need to log a total of 2 hours of run time. I'll probably be logging somewhere in the range of 20 parameters or something like that.

Thanks for the help.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

The Wide band O2 connection

FlashScan ships with a cable that has an RJ12 connector on one end that connects to FlashScan's serial port (next to the USB connector) and it has a female 9 pin D connector on the other end.

The LC-1 ships with a cable that has a phon jack connector on one end that connects to LC-1's serial out port and it has a female 9 pin D connector on the other end.

You need to be able to connect the two female D9 connectors together. That requires a "gender bender" with a twist. (i.e. a male to male crossover connection). This device is the correct device to use: http://www.sfcable.com/cable/p/30D1-C1-S.html

Or you can fabricate your own using the diagram at the bottom of that page. You only need to include pins 2, 3 and 5 you can ignore the others, they are not used.

Updating the bootblock and firmware
    There will be a file called ReadmeFirst.rtf in the next beta download that will explain the procedures for updating your FlashScan firmware and EFILive software.

Memory card
    Almost any SD memory card will work. FlashScan only supports up to 2Gb card sizes. It will probably still work with a 4Gb card but it will only be able to use the first 2Gb. Just for your intererst, 2Gb will store about 30 days of non-stop logging. So you shouldn't run out of space. (Hint, I don't recommend creating super large log files. 2 hours is about the largest you'd want to go).
    I recommend getting a couple of smaller cards, say 2 x 512Mb that way if a card fails while you're out (usually they don't fail but rather get lost or damaged), you can keep working with the spare one. i.e. Don't keep all your eggs in one basket.

A rule of thumb for memory storage of logfiles is number of channels being logged + 8 multiplied by "E" will give you the storage requirements in bytes per hour of logging.
    Where E=144,000 for CAN vehicles and 36,000 for VPW vehicles.
    i.e. if you wanted to log 24 channels for 2 hours on a CAN vehicle, you can roughly calculate the space as: (24+8)*144,000 = 5.1Mb
    You could log close to 100 x 2 hour logs on a single 512Mb card.

Selecting PIDs
    You will need to manually create a PID selection file based on the PIDs that we make available for your controller type. If you need help with that, let me know and I can show you how to create/edit the Options.ini file to selet the PIDs that you want to log.
    You can set up multiple different sets of PIDs and then change PID sets while at the track.

Beta v's reelased software
    Your best source of information will be in the various files that come with the beta update. Many of the *.txt files that are part of the beta update include comments in them that explain what they are for and how to edit them.
    Once the software is ready for prime-time, digging around in the config files won't be necessary. The EFILive V8 software will handle those files and present the PID selections to the user in an easy to use graphical interface. For now, as part of the beta release you'll need to do the legwork yourself.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    Selecting PIDs
    You will need to manually create a PID selection file based on the PIDs that we make available for your controller type. If you need help with that, let me know and I can show you how to create/edit the Options.ini file to selet the PIDs that you want to log.
    You can set up multiple different sets of PIDs and then change PID sets while at the track.

Regards
    Paul
    Paul, I do in fact need help with this. I just updated to the latest V7.5 software and firmware, then updated the bootblock and then the firmware, etc. Everything seems to work well. Only thing I can't seem to figure out is how to setup a list of PIDs to log, so I can't really test to see if the BBL is working.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Doe
    Only thing I can't seem to figure out is how to setup a list of PIDs to log, so I can't really test to see if the BBL is working.
    The file Options.ini in the Config folder can be edited (using Notepad or other text editor) and you can add/delete entries from the vehicle list and then add/delete PIDs from the lists that are linked to fromt he vehicle list.

For someone with just one vehicle to support, I'd expect the "vehicle" list to be just a list of different PID sets, like Dyno, Track, Idle, Power etc. See the text below for an example.

Code:
    *VEHICLES

;Cap1    Cap2     Controllers (Engine&Trans) PSL        PCU
    ;------- -------- -------------------------- ---------- --------
    Dyno,          ,  LS1B_M.pmm,                PSL_Dyno,   PCU
    Track,         ,  LS1B_M.pmm,                PSL_Track,  PCU
    Idle,          ,  LS1B_M.pmm,                PSL_Idle,   PCU
    Power,         ,  LS1B_M.pmm,                PSL_Power,  PCU

; _________________________________________________________________________
    *PSL_Dyno
    ;
    ;Node PIDs (pid1|pid2|...|pidn)  Alarm (min:max:style:time*10ms:hold*sec)
    ;---- -------------------------- -----------------------------------------
    ; These PIDs will be logged when you select "Dyno".
    PCM,  MAF
    PCM,  MAP
    PCM,  RPM
    PCM,  SPARKADV
    PCM,  TP
    PCM,  AFR
    PCM,  IBPW1
    PCM,  IBPW2
    PCM,  KR
    -,    WO2AFR1

*PSL_Track
    ;To do: List the PIDs you want to log when you select "Track".
    *PSL_Idle
    ;To do: List the PIDs you want to log when you select "Idle".
    *PSL_Power
    ;To do: List the PIDs you want to log when you select "Power".

*PCU
    ;
    ;   PID      Caption  Prec Units Op    Factor        Offset
    ;   -------- -------- ---- ----- -- ------------- -------------
    PCM,ECT,     Coolant,    0,°F,    *,     1.8,          32.0
    PCM,MAP,     M'Fold,     1,psi,   /,     6.894757,
    PCM,VSS,     Speed,      0,mph,   /,     1.609344,
    PCM,SPARKADV,Spark
    PCM,IAT,     Intake,     0,°F,    *,     1.8,          32.0
    PCM,MAF,     AirFlow,    1,lb/m,  /,     7.559873,
    PCM,TP,      Throttle
    PCM,KR,      Knock
    -,  T1,      T1,         1,°F,    *,     1.8,          32.0
    -,  T2,      T2,         1,°F,    *,     1.8,          32.0
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Thanks Paul. I figured it out right after I posted that I needed help. However it is really good idea you have about having different pid lists depending on what I'd like to monitor. Thanks for the idea!