Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Large cams idle lean?

Default Do Large cams idle lean?

This is my first large cam, I got the car to idle, but it likes the 17 AFR range.
    It is an 02 camaro with headers and a 231 237 / 592 602 at 112. If I try to richen it up it idles bad and stalls when put in gear, as long as it is lean it idles actually, well......nice. the AFR goes to normal as soon as you touch the pedal even in park. Is this normal? or do I have more work?
    Thanks....
    98 WS6, M6, 02 PCM, CO3, SD 2 Bar tune, 416 D1SC Procharger, 73# Injectors, Patriot Lq9 heads, 232 int 240 exh. Lift .595 int .608 exh 115.. header, Intake, AEM WB.

Are you getting any misfire codes? I wonder if you are getting a false reading from the wideband if misfires are letting unburnt air/fuel into the exhaust?

i have found that most all problems with idle are cured
    with the RAFIG process.

Problem you can have with big cams and overlap is that you can get air passing right though the cylinder into the exhaust making the WB say it lean when its really not. I would tuning it so it idles nice and forget about what the WB says.
    01 ECSB 1/2 ton 4x4 Forged 5.7 LS1 GMC

Custom KBracing front mounted, BW S480, intercooled turbo

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr.prick
    i have found that most all problems with idle are cured
    with the RAFIG process.
    how do u do the rafig process?
    01 Z06, 4L60E CONVERSION, L92/L76 TOP END, 72# LS3 INJECTORS (THANKS FIC), DRY NITROUS, COS5

Try lots more timing at idle and use TPS fuelling where possible.
    Oztrack
    EFILive Tuning Consultant

Worldwide Remote Tuning Service

2006 NSW Super Street Drag Racing Champion

www.oztrack.com.au

I am getting no misfire codes, it seems to idle perfectly just at 17 AFR as soon as I flick the gas it goes right it line, driving it is fine too....As for RAFIG, Honestly I have been reading, I am having trouble finding the "rafig process" in "tutorial form", I slowly increase idle airflow tables until the car idles.
    I know......I have bit off more than I can chew with this cam :( . I have it running fine in SD, then I tune the MAF and the car runs fine. when I switch back from SD car runs crappy. I am goin to leave it SD to drive and read more....Thanks everyone!!!!!!!
    98 WS6, M6, 02 PCM, CO3, SD 2 Bar tune, 416 D1SC Procharger, 73# Injectors, Patriot Lq9 heads, 232 int 240 exh. Lift .595 int .608 exh 115.. header, Intake, AEM WB.

My guess is that you're getting erroneous data from the wide band at low air flow rates (i.e. idle). That can be a result of sensor placement, or the sensor itself. As for your problems switching between SD and MAF, with no other changes, the VE table will be completely different in SD than it will be when the MAF sensor is in use.

I'm running a 232/236/114 cam-- not terribly different than the one you're using-- and it idles surprisingly well at 850 rpm. Lately, the wide band readings have been moving around at idle- they'll be 14.7:1 one minute and 16.1:1 the next. There's no way the AFR is moving around that much and from experience I can tell you that idle quality goes to hell when AFR is legitimately over 15:1. I think my wide band problem is the result of a leak in the exhaust system, I just haven't had a chance to get under the car to find it. You may hae the same type of issue.

Don't worry about "The RAFIG Process"-- it's simply a procedure designed to streamline the idle air tuning process. In essence, you monitor the combined short term and long term idle air correction and use it to determine the amount to increase or decrease desired air flow. If you have the engine idling satisfactorily, you've already done "The RAFIG Process", you just didn't know it.
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by kbracing96
    Problem you can have with big cams and overlap is that you can get air passing right though the cylinder into the exhaust making the WB say it lean when its really not. I would tuning it so it idles nice and forget about what the WB says.
    Exactly whats happening here, I see it all the time. You need a 5 gas to properly measure richness or leaness at idle which most tuners don't have. A wideband only measures O2 in the exhuast of which there is heaps of at idle with a bigger cam due to overlap. This will make it "LOOK" lean when really it isn't.

Mike
    "Just a tune > yeah right !!!! "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast