Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2000 454 fuel probs...

Talking Oh ya!!

He holds himself out as a "tech", and tries to tell me that he set the timing w/ a lite???
    The truck belongs to a customer, that tries to make them last to the very end!!
    The FPR is getting replaced, and the injs cleaned, and flow tested, yadda, yadda..
    DFE1 is going to bring his timing lite over, and we're going to do a "tuneup!!
    Chuck L.
    CODY Motorsports
    Fuel Injector Service
    Madison, GA.
    706-342-3152
    770-265-5144 [C]

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck L.
    DFE1 is going to bring his timing lite over, and we're going to do a "tuneup!!
    We may have to postpone the tuning session. My digital timing light is being fixed, and I don't think we can use an analog light because it's not compatible with the digital control system. I'll do some checking to see if we can find an analog-to-digital converter, but I hear when you use one, you have to use the timing lights when it's completely dark because when you convert analog light to digital light, you lose a lot of brightness.
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

Lightbulb Oh snap!!

Quote Originally Posted by dfe1
    We may have to postpone the tuning session. My digital timing light is being fixed, and I don't think we can use an analog light because it's not compatible with the digital control system. I'll do some checking to see if we can find an analog-to-digital converter, but I hear when you use one, you have to use the timing lights when it's completely dark because when you convert analog light to digital light, you lose a lot of brightness.
    Can we use my digital to analog converter??
    Or, I have to goto the stealership for the part I ordered. Maybe they'll rent me that lite??
    Will advise..
    Chuck L.
    CODY Motorsports
    Fuel Injector Service
    Madison, GA.
    706-342-3152
    770-265-5144 [C]

Yeah, see if you can borrow or rent the one from the dealer. The GM digital timing lights are really good.
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

Question ??

Quote Originally Posted by hquick
    Yeah......

And yes, you can check the timing with EFILive...log GM.CMPRET.
    The timing on the log matches the timing map, at the KPa/rpm I checked it at.
    Since the dlr tech set the base at "0", should I recheck it
    B4 proceeding?
    Is "0" correct for this application?
    Chuck L.
    CODY Motorsports
    Fuel Injector Service
    Madison, GA.
    706-342-3152
    770-265-5144 [C]

Thumbs up Eureka!!

found the problem[s]...
    Seems as tho the FPR couldn't leak into the manifold... The vac hose had rotted off, and was not hooked up at the intake end.
    7 of the 8 injs were leaking so bad, that the Fp dropped from 55, to less than 30, in 3 minutes, and down to 10 in an hr.
    The fuel leaks had washed the inside of the runners to a spotless condition.
    Next: The regulator is getting changed, anyhow, as are the plugs, cap and rotor. The injs are getting pulled and cleaned. I'm not doing this again! The guy that put the components under the intake, is likely the same moron that designed the ZR1, and the Caddy Northstar...

Anyhoo, thanks for the help!
    Chuck L.
    CODY Motorsports
    Fuel Injector Service
    Madison, GA.
    706-342-3152
    770-265-5144 [C]

I talked to the guy who runs Witchhunter Performance http://www.witchhunter.com/ and he said that no amount of cleaning will fix up the 454 injectors. Get some LS1 or LS6 injectors, update the injector size and you are set.

Don't waste $$ on them at all. They are 19l injectors, so if you want to NOT tune the truck, toss in some TPI 305 or Ford 302/4.6L 19 lb/hr injectors. They are drop in. Even the LT1/LS1/LS6 injectors (they all fit but are larger flow so you need tuning). The stock 454 injector is dead on exact for 300 hp, so any mods and it is way out of injector flow. And any mods to the 454 respond with big power gains. Ed Wright got 35 hp and 60 lb/ft torque out it on 87 octane. Over the stock 290/410 lb/ft torque. Now add free flow muffler and straight intake like a CAI and modified air box, and you are up even more power.

And YES, the LS1/LS6 injectors will fit. I used to have blueprints on them somewhere, they are the same.

Angry

I said:
    "The injs are getting pulled and cleaned. I'm not doing this again!"
    Witchhunter said:
    " that no amount of cleaning will fix up the 454 injectors. Get some LS1 or LS6 injectors, update the injector size and you are set."
    He is right!
    I have an ASNU bench. I leak tested them. 5 of 8 leaked. I cleaned them for 4 -10 min cycles, put them on the bench, and they "appeared" to be OK. I then re-installed, hit the key, and whamo 5 leaked. NOT!
    The new injs are $95.00/ea. The customer nearly had a stroke when I quoted him the cost!!
    I have a couple sets of 19# firds, from a 302. I recall they are 19# @ 3 bars. At 58psi, they should be really close to the 24PPH I got when I flowed the originals...[22#]. Do those numbers sound close??

Thanks for the headsup!...
    Last edited by Chuck L.; March 29th, 2008 at 10:40 AM.
    Chuck L.
    CODY Motorsports
    Fuel Injector Service
    Madison, GA.
    706-342-3152
    770-265-5144 [C]

Sorry I missed this one! Yes, the Bosch 19's used in the Ford 302 and 4.6L's are common replacements in the Cadillac 4.5L/4.0L, TPI 305's and the L21/L29 454's.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck L. View Post
    I said:
    "The injs are getting pulled and cleaned. I'm not doing this again!"
    Witchhunter said:
    " that no amount of cleaning will fix up the 454 injectors. Get some LS1 or LS6 injectors, update the injector size and you are set."
    He is right!
    I have an ASNU bench. I leak tested them. 5 of 8 leaked. I cleaned them for 4 -10 min cycles, put them on the bench, and they "appeared" to be OK. I then re-installed, hit the key, and whamo 5 leaked. NOT!
    The new injs are $95.00/ea. The customer nearly had a stroke when I quoted him the cost!!
    I have a couple sets of 19# firds, from a 302. I recall they are 19# @ 3 bars. At 58psi, they should be really close to the 24PPH I got when I flowed the originals...[22#]. Do those numbers sound close??

Thanks for the headsup!...

The fuel pressure regulator has a leak, guaranteed thats your problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12